Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Problem of the Week #285 - Feb 01, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
Here is this week's POTW:

-----
Evaluate the integral $$\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos(ax)}{\cosh b + \cosh x}\, dx$$ where $a$ is real and $b > 0$.

-----

Remember to read the POTW submission guidelines to find out how to submit your answers!

Euge

MHB Global Moderator
Staff member
Jun 20, 2014
No one answered this week's problem. You can read my solution below.

Let $r > 0$ such that $\sinh r > 2\cosh b$ and consider the contour integral
$$\oint_{\Gamma(R)} \frac{e^{iaz}}{\cosh b + \cosh z}\, dz$$ where $\Gamma(R)$ is the positively oriented rectangle with vertices at $\pm R, \pm R + 2\pi i$. The integrand, call it $f(z)$ for short, has simple poles at $z = \pm b + \pi i$ lying inside $\Gamma(R)$, so by the residue theorem the integral equals $$2\pi i [\operatorname{Res}_{z = b + \pi i} f(z) + \operatorname{Res}_{z = -b + \pi i} f(z)] = 2\pi i\left[-\frac{e^{iab}e^{-\pi a}}{\sinh b} + \frac{e^{-iab}e^{-\pi a}}{\sinh b} \right] = 4e^{-\pi b}\frac{\pi \sin ab}{\sinh b}$$ The integral of $f(z)$ along the vertical edges of $\Gamma(R)$ is $O(1/\sinh R)$ as $R \to \infty$ since, given $R > r$ and $z$ on a vertical edge, $$\lvert f(z)\rvert \le \frac{e^{-a\operatorname{Im}(z)}}{\sinh R - \cosh b} \le \frac{2}{\sinh R}$$ The sum of the integrals of $f$ along the top and bottom edges is $(1 - e^{-2\pi a})\int_{-R}^R f(x)\, dx$, so in the limit as $R \to \infty$, $$(1 - e^{-2\pi a})\int_{-\infty}^\infty f(x)\, dx = 4e^{-\pi a}\frac{\pi \sin ab}{\sinh b}$$ Taking the real part and exploiting symmetry we deduce

$$\int_0^\infty \frac{\cos ax}{\cosh b + \cosh x}\, dx = \frac{\pi \sin ab}{\sinh \pi a \sinh b}$$

Status
Not open for further replies.