Who is Nils Bildt? Could Fox News be *that* irresponsible?

• News
  • Thread starter collinsmark
  • Start date
  • Tags
    News
In summary, Nils Bildt, independent analyst who was interviewed on Fox News, says that the title of the interview, "Swedish defense and national security advisor", was misleading as he has not been working for the Swedish government in any way.
collinsmark
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Who is Nils Bildt? Could Fox News be that irresponsible?

Does an "independent analyst" -- a title anybody could claim -- really qualify him as ”Swedish defense and national security advisor”?

Fox News continues to focus on the debate about how immigration is breaking Sweden. One guest last night, described as a ”Swedish defense and national security advisor”, spoke about the problems caused by criminality in Swedish cities and suburbs. But neither the Swedish Defense Ministry nor Foreign Office have heard of the expert. Nils Bildt, who called for an “open and honest” debate on crime, has previously been convicted of a violent offence in the United States.
http://www.dn.se/nyheter/varlden/fa...ions-in-us-no-connection-to-swedish-security/

And some additional commentary from the Washington Post:
Fox News's coverage of Sweden has become a subject of debate over the past week, after President Trump referred to “what’s happening” in the country during a rally in Florida last weekend. Swedish experts were confused by the comments, but Trump later clarified he had been referring to a segment with filmmaker Ami Horowitz that had aired on Fox News Channel's “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

Horowitz's film had suggested a link between refugees and increased crime rates in Sweden, but Swedish experts say he oversimplified the problem, and two policemen interviewed by the filmmaker said they had been misrepresented by him.

Speaking to Dagens Nyheter, security expert Wiktorin had suggested Bildt's interview was a “disturbing trend” in U.S. media where Sweden is presented as a “problem country.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-1033am:homepage/story&utm_term=.35a601d02ce1

Likes Evo
Physics news on Phys.org
collinsmark said:
Could Fox News be that irresponsible?
Yes. This is hardly the first time that they have just flat out lied in a way that in a more responsible organization would be called staggeringly incompetent fact checking. Although I'm confident that there are a plethora of examples, the only one that I can think of specifically off the top of my head is when Hannity had 3 people on to say how terribly they had suffered under ObamaCare and it turned out that one of them had never applied for ObamaCare, and one of them actually would have gotten better coverage for less cost under it than his current plan. They all just hated Obama and Hannity was happy to indulge them.

Likes Evo
phinds said:
Yes. This is hardly the first time that they have just flat out lied in a way that in a more responsible organization would be called staggeringly incompetent fact checking. Although I'm confident that there are a plethora of examples, the only one that I can think of specifically off the top of my head is when Hannity had 3 people on to say how terribly they had suffered under ObamaCare and it turned out that one of them had never applied for ObamaCare, and one of them actually would have gotten better coverage for less cost under it than his current plan. They all just hated Obama and Hannity was happy to indulge them.

The other great example about the irresponsibility of Fox News was the so-called "terror expert" on Fox News, Steven Emerson, on how Birmingham, UK is a "totally Muslim city" where non-Muslims "simply don't go", and about no-go zones in London, Paris, and elsewhere several years ago.

https://news.vice.com/article/terro...rmingham-is-a-totally-muslim-city-on-fox-news

The response to this so-called expert was so scathing that even British PM (at the time) David Cameron said the following: "When I heard this, frankly, I choked on my porridge and I thought it must be April fool's day. This guy's clearly a complete idiot."

So I'm not at all surprised that Fox News would resort to the same tricks again, now with Sweden.

Likes Ryan_m_b and Evo
collinsmark said:
Who is Nils Bildt?
I am Swedish and I have never heard of him (which of course does not say very much). I'm going to check Swedish media for the name, I'll be back...

Ok, I have just heard a Swedish interview with this Nils Bildt where he says that the subtitle Fox used was misleading. Nils Bildt is independent, and he also says he has not been working for the Swedish government in any way.

News source (in Swedish from Sveriges Radio, Sweden's national broadcaster): "Nils Bildt skyller misstag på Fox"
and Google translate actually did a pretty good job translating the page to English: "Nils Bildt blames mistakes on Fox".

Last edited:
Likes russ_watters

1. Who is Nils Bildt?

Nils Bildt is a Swedish government official and security consultant. He has also worked as a political adviser and served in the Swedish military.

2. Why is Nils Bildt being discussed?

Nils Bildt has been discussed in the media due to his appearance as a "Swedish defense and national security advisor" on a segment of Fox News. His statements during the segment have been questioned and criticized, leading to further discussion and scrutiny of his background and credentials.

3. Is Nils Bildt a credible source?

There is some controversy surrounding Nils Bildt's credibility as a source. While he does have experience in government and security, some have questioned the accuracy and legitimacy of his statements on Fox News. Additionally, Bildt's claims about his previous military rank have been disputed by Swedish military officials.

4. Could Fox News be responsible for giving Nils Bildt a platform?

As a news organization, Fox News has a responsibility to verify the credibility of its sources and the accuracy of their statements. In this case, it appears that Fox News did not thoroughly vet Nils Bildt before featuring him on their program. It is possible that they could be held accountable for giving him a platform without proper scrutiny.

5. How could Fox News have handled the situation differently?

Fox News could have handled the situation differently by properly vetting Nils Bildt and fact-checking his statements before featuring him on their program. Additionally, they could have responded to the criticism and controversy surrounding Bildt's appearance in a more transparent and responsible manner, addressing any inaccuracies or discrepancies in his statements.