Calculating dA for Moment of Inertia of a Circle

In summary, the moment of inertia (I) for something is equal to the integral of y^2 over the area A of the shape. If the integration was done correctly, you should get I = \frac{\pi r^4}{4}dA.
ShawnD
Science Advisor
The moment of inertia (I) for something is

[tex]I = \int y^2 dA[/tex]

How do I get dA for a circle?
Here is what dA should look like for moment of inertia:
http://myfiles.dyndns.org/pictures/circle_dA.png

dA in this case is NOT a derivation of [tex]A = \pi r^2[/tex]. Doing that will give you the polar moment of inertia (J) which is completely different.

If the integration was done correctly, the answer you get should be

[tex]I = \frac{\pi r^4}{4}[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]dA[/itex] is an "element of area", much like [itex]dx[/itex] is an "element of length".

A two dimensional integral is computed by the limit of a two dimensional Riemann sum; but instead of partitioning an interval into arbitrarily small intervals, you partition your region into arbitrarily small rectangles.

In other words, an element of area is an infinitessimally small rectangle. So, it cannot span the entire width of your disk1!

However, notice that the integrand is the same at every point along a horizontal line. So, adding up [itex]y^2 dA[/itex] for all of the rectangles in a row is the same as adding up [itex]L y^2 dy[/itex] where L is the width of the element you drew in your picture (and is a function of y), and that allows you to collapse the problem to a 1-d integral.

Or, if you don't like thinking ahead, you can simply brute force it:

[tex]
\int_{-r}^r \int_{-\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}} y^2 \, dx \, dy
[/tex]

Hurkyl

1: Your shape is a disk, not a circle, because the interior is part of your shape.

Hurkyl was completely correct but I think what ShawnD meant to say was not "dA for a circle" but "dA in polar coordinates".

Doing problems with a circular symmetry, as in finding the area of a circle or finding the moment of inertia of a circle about a diameter, is most often easier in polar coordinates.

The "dA" in polar coordinates is "rdrdθ".

Finding the area of a circle of radius R is trivial in polar coordinates: it is [tex]\int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}rdrd\theta= \{\int_{r=0}^R rdr\}\{\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}d\theta\}= 2\pi\(\frac{1}{2}R^2}= \pi R^2[/tex]

The moment of inertia about the x-axis is
[tex]\int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}y^2 rdrd\theta[/tex]
and, since y= r sinθ, that is
[tex]\int_{r=0}^R\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}r^3 sin^2\theta drd\theta[/tex]
[tex]=\{\int_{r=0}^R r^3 dr\}\{\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}sin^2\theta d\theta\}[/tex]

Originally posted by Hurkyl
Or, if you don't like thinking ahead, you can simply brute force it:

[tex]
\int_{-r}^r \int_{-\sqrt{r^2-y^2}}^{\sqrt{r^2-y^2}} y^2 \, dx \, dy
[/tex]

Can you explain a little more how you came up with this? I've only taken 1 calculus course ever and it didn't go into details about how double integrals work or how to just make equations.

Why does it have to be integrated between -r and r?

What's the biggest and smallest y can be?
Once you've chosen y, what's the biggest and smallest x can be?

Originally posted by HallsofIvy

[tex]=\{\int_{r=0}^R r^3 dr\}\{\int_{\theta=0}^{2\pi}sin^2\theta d\theta\}[/tex]

This one looks like it's getting very close... but how can I get a [itex]\pi[/itex] in there?

sin(x)^2=.5-.5cos(2x), wanneer je dit naar x integreert krijg je .5x-.25sin(2x). Over de grenzen 0 tot 2pi geeft alleen de .5x term een bijdrage, en wel de benodigde pi.

Originally posted by da_willem
sin(x)^2=.5-.5cos(2x), wanneer je dit naar x integreert krijg je .5x-.25sin(2x). Over de grenzen 0 tot 2pi geeft alleen de .5x term een bijdrage, en wel de benodigde pi.

Not that I can speak Dutch (or Flemmish) but the translation into English is probably:

[tex]\sin^2(x)=.5-.5cos(2x)[/tex], if I then integrate with respect to [tex]x[/tex] I get [tex].5x -.25\sin(2x)[/tex]. With the limits [tex]0[/tex] to [tex]2\pi[/tex] the [tex].5x[/tex] term contributes the necessary [tex]\pi[/tex]

Thanks everybody. It works now :smile:.

1. How do I calculate the moment of inertia for a circle?

To calculate the moment of inertia for a circle, you will need to use the formula I = mr^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the circle, and r is the radius of the circle.

2. Do I need to know the mass of the circle to calculate the moment of inertia?

Yes, in order to calculate the moment of inertia, you will need to know the mass of the circle. This is because the moment of inertia is directly proportional to the mass of an object.

3. Can I use the moment of inertia to determine the stability of a circle?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be used to determine the stability of a circle. A higher moment of inertia indicates a greater resistance to changes in rotational motion, making the circle more stable.

4. How does the radius of a circle affect the moment of inertia?

The radius of a circle has a direct effect on the moment of inertia. The larger the radius, the larger the moment of inertia will be, meaning the circle will be more resistant to changes in rotational motion.

5. Can I use the moment of inertia to compare different circles?

Yes, the moment of inertia can be used to compare different circles. This is because the moment of inertia takes into account both the mass and distribution of mass of an object, making it a useful tool for comparing the rotational properties of different circles.