Why Does the Polar Moment of Inertia Use r^2 in Its Formula?

In summary, the conversation discussed the derivation of the formula for calculating bending stresses, which involves a double integral of the moment of inertia of a two-dimensional region. The use of the double integral is explained in relation to the mass and force on the region, and the significance of the term ##r^2## is clarified.
Andrea Vironda
TL;DR Summary
Derivation of the formula for the calculation, among other things, of bending stresses
Hi,
A well-known part of the formula for calculating the deflection stress is ##I_z=\int \int r^2 dA##
Usually a moment of inertia is something related to how difficult is to move an object. In this case is understandable but i don't understand the meaning of the double integral.
Using ##r^4## wouldn't be the same?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Andrea Vironda said:
Summary:: Derivation of the formula for the calculation, among other things, of bending stresses

Hi,
A well-known part of the formula for calculating the deflection stress is ##I_z=\int \int r^2 dA##
Don't you mean moment of inertia rather than deflection stress?

I read the formula you wrote as the moment of inertia of some two-dimensional region in the x-y plane that is being rotated around the z-axis. dA represents the area of some infinitesimal region, with an implied mass of 1 unit of some kind. If the integral is replaced by an iterated Cartesian or rectangular integral, dA will become dxdy or dydx, depending on the order of integration. If the integral is replaced by an iterated polar integra, dA will be replaced by ##rdrd\theta##, so the iterated integral could look like ##\int_{\theta}\int_r r^2 r dr~d\theta##, or ##\int_{\theta}\int_r r^3 dr~d\theta##, assuming the integration is performed first on r. In both integrals the mass of the region dA would be 1 unit, by implication.
Andrea Vironda said:
Usually a moment of inertia is something related to how difficult is to move an object. In this case is understandable but i don't understand the meaning of the double integral.
Using ##r^4## wouldn't be the same?

Mark44 said:
Don't you mean moment of inertia rather than deflection stress?
Yeah, only part of deflection stress formula.

Ok i think i understood. but why ##r^2## into the integral and not simply ##r##?
If i integrate ##r## on ##dA## i will get something related to the area

Andrea Vironda said:
Ok i think i understood. but why r2 into the integral and not simply r?
It is about the momentum of the tension force on dA. You get r2 in the integral because the force on the surface dA depends on how much the material has been stressed or compressed, which is proportional to the distance from dA to the center of the beam.
To get the momentum of this force, you have to multiply with this distance again.

• Love
Likes Andrea Vironda

Related to Why Does the Polar Moment of Inertia Use r^2 in Its Formula?

What is the polar moment of inertia?

The polar moment of inertia is a physical property of an object that describes its resistance to rotational motion about a specific axis. It is a measure of how the mass of an object is distributed around that axis.

How is the polar moment of inertia calculated?

The polar moment of inertia is calculated by summing the products of each infinitesimal mass element of an object and its distance from the axis of rotation squared. This calculation is typically done using integral calculus.

What is the difference between polar moment of inertia and moment of inertia?

The moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion about any axis, while the polar moment of inertia specifically refers to rotational motion about the object's central axis. The polar moment of inertia is always equal to or greater than the moment of inertia of an object.

What factors affect the polar moment of inertia?

The polar moment of inertia is affected by the mass distribution of an object, as well as the shape and size of the object. Objects with more mass concentrated further from the axis of rotation will have a larger polar moment of inertia.

How is the polar moment of inertia used in engineering and physics?

The polar moment of inertia is an important property used in calculating the torque and angular acceleration of objects in rotational motion. It is also used in designing and analyzing structures, such as beams and columns, to ensure they can withstand the stresses of rotational motion.