Problem involving tension, circular motion and equilibrium

In summary, the question asks how the tension in a string is the same for a mass attached to it and a mass suspended in mid-air.
walker
alright the question asks

An air puck of mass m1 is tied to a string and allowed to revolve in a circle of radius R on a frictionless horizontal table. The other end of the string passes through a hole in the center of the table, and a counterweight of mass m2 is tied to it (see the figure below). The suspended object remains in equilibrium while the puck on the tabletop revolves.

(Use g for free fall acceleration)

Find the tension T on the string.
Find the radial force Fc acting on the puck
Find speed v of the puck

What I've come up with is

T = m2g - m1(v^2/R)
Fc = m1(v^2/R)
v = sqrt[(Fc*R)/m1]

For some reason I'm finding the question to be too ambigious and i am second guessing what i am doing. Also I have nothing to really go by in the way of lecture notes or example textbook problems that can aid me with this question. if someone could shed some light that would be awesome.

ive included a diagram and drawn on it what i think the forces are.

Attachments

• appletImage copy.jpg
    appletImage copy.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 1,185
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Remember the tension along a masless string is the same, and that the radial force or central force is just a role given to forces components. In this case the tension is the radial force according to description. I haven't seen the picture yet.

It is always useful to consider the diff. forces acting on each mass independently.
The only force acting on the rotating mass is T, the tension in the string (normal and gravitational forces cancel), which provides the centripietal force required.
Both gravitational force and tension act on the hanging mass, keeping it in equilibrium.
Can you form the necessary equations now ?

arunbg said:
It is always useful to consider the diff. forces acting on each mass independently.
The only force acting on the rotating mass is T, the tension in the string (normal and gravitational forces cancel), which provides the centripietal force required.
Both gravitational force and tension act on the hanging mass, keeping it in equilibrium.
Can you form the necessary equations now ?

so then T is just m2g? that makes sense i guess. I am having trouble actually understanding the concept of tension in general, if anyone has any suggested websites i can read that would help me out that would be great too. thanks for the help.

walker said:
so then T is just m2g? that makes sense i guess. I am having trouble actually understanding the concept of tension in general, if anyone has any suggested websites i can read that would help me out that would be great too. thanks for the help.

Yes, the tension in the string is simply m2g. Usually, the tension in a light inextensible string is constant throughout its length.

Consider the forces acting on the hanging mass. What would happen if the tension was greater than m2g? Does that make sense now?

~H

yeah it makes sense, I am just having a hard time visualizing a freebody diagram with tension...need more practice i guess. my prof this year seems to rush her answers and doesn't provide much help 8/ so thanks for the help.

walker said:
yeah it makes sense, I am just having a hard time visualizing a freebody diagram with tension...need more practice i guess. my prof this year seems to rush her answers and doesn't provide much help 8/ so thanks for the help.

Well, I would recommend more practise, soon you'll be able to solve them without thinking. You could always ask you prof for a more complete solution, but we'll always be happy to help you out here.

Are you ok for solving the rest of the problem now?

~H

walker said:
alright the question asks

An air puck of mass m1 is tied to a string and allowed to revolve in a circle of radius R on a frictionless horizontal table. The other end of the string passes through a hole in the center of the table, and a counterweight of mass m2 is tied to it (see the figure below). The suspended object remains in equilibrium while the puck on the tabletop revolves.

(Use g for free fall acceleration)

Find the tension T on the string.
Find the radial force Fc acting on the puck
Find speed v of the puck

What I've come up with is

T = m2g - m1(v^2/R)
Fc = m1(v^2/R)
v = sqrt[(Fc*R)/m1]

For some reason I'm finding the question to be too ambigious and i am second guessing what i am doing. Also I have nothing to really go by in the way of lecture notes or example textbook problems that can aid me with this question. if someone could shed some light that would be awesome.

ive included a diagram and drawn on it what i think the forces are.

The correct ans is, the same tension is felt throughout the string, so the weight of m2 is the same as the tension maintaining m1's revolution around the table. So, tension = weight of m2 = radial force. To find v, simply equate radial force with weight of m2.

Related to Problem involving tension, circular motion and equilibrium

1. What is tension in a problem involving circular motion and equilibrium?

Tension is the force that is exerted by a string, rope, or other flexible material when it is pulled tight. In a problem involving circular motion and equilibrium, tension is the force that is acting on an object as it moves in a circular path, keeping it in equilibrium.

2. How do you calculate tension in a circular motion and equilibrium problem?

To calculate tension in a circular motion and equilibrium problem, you can use the equation T = mv^2/r, where T is tension, m is the mass of the object, v is its velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path. This equation is derived from Newton's second law, which states that the net force on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration.

3. What is the relationship between tension and circular motion in equilibrium?

In a problem involving circular motion and equilibrium, tension is directly proportional to the mass and velocity of the object, and inversely proportional to the radius of the circular path. This means that as the mass or velocity of the object increases, the tension also increases, while a larger radius leads to a decrease in tension.

4. How does tension affect the motion of an object in circular equilibrium?

Tension is the force that keeps an object in circular motion in equilibrium, meaning that it is not accelerating. Without tension, the object would either fly off in a straight line or collapse towards the center of the circular path. Therefore, tension is crucial in maintaining the circular motion of the object.

5. Can tension ever be zero in a problem involving circular motion and equilibrium?

In a problem involving circular motion and equilibrium, tension can only be zero if the object is not moving or if it is moving at a constant speed in a straight line. This is because in order for an object to be in equilibrium, the net force acting on it must be zero, and tension is one of the forces involved in circular motion.