Problem integrating over a sphere.

In summary, the homework statement is to compute the integral of a function over a sphere of radius a centered at the origin.
S. Moger

Homework Statement

Compute [itex]\int_S \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{S}[/itex]

[itex]\vec{F} = (xz, yz, z^3/a)[/itex]

S: Sphere of radius [itex]a[/itex] centered at the origin.

Homework Equations

[itex]x = a \sin(\theta) \cos(\varphi)[/itex]
[itex]y = a \sin(\theta) \sin(\varphi)[/itex]
[itex]z = a \cos(\theta) [/itex]

Phi : 0->2 pi, Theta : 0->pi/2 .

The Attempt at a Solution

[itex]\vec{F} = a^2 \cos(\theta) \cdot \{ \sin(\theta) \cos(\varphi), \sin(\theta) \sin(\varphi), \cos(\theta)^2 \}[/itex]

[itex]d\vec{S} = \frac{ \partial{\vec{r} }} {\partial{\theta} } \times \frac{ \partial{\vec{r}}}{\partial{\varphi}} d\theta d\varphi = a^2 \sin(\theta) \cdot \{ \sin(\theta) \cos(\varphi), \sin(\theta) \sin(\varphi), \cos(\theta) \}[/itex]

[itex]\int_S \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{S}[/itex] = [itex]\int_\varphi d\varphi \int_\theta ... d\theta = 2 \pi a^4 \int_\theta ... d\theta = 9 \pi a^4 / 10[/itex]

While the correct answer is [itex]\frac{4}{5} \pi a^4[/itex] .I'm relatively sure this isn't a book-keeping issue, I double checked the computations manually and with mathematica. Maybe I'm missing something (or maybe there's an easier way to "see" the answer).

Physics news on Phys.org
What's the integrand you came up with?

Stokes' theorem might lead to an easier integral (didn't test it).
$$\vec{F} = a^2 \cos(\theta) \cdot \{ \sin(\theta) \cos(\varphi), \sin(\theta) \sin(\varphi), \cos(\theta)^2 \}$$
This is still in cartesian coordinates? Then it shouldn't have that prefactor.

I got this:
[itex] \int_S \vec{F} \cdot d\vec{S}= a^4 \int \int \sin(\theta)^3 \cos(\theta) + \sin(\theta) \cos(\theta)^4 d\varphi d\theta[/itex]

The phi variable "disappears" ( = 1) because of the trigonometric identity, so I separate its integral from the expression involving theta.

The expression for the F-vector should be valid as it stands (in cartesian coordinates). I inserted the expressions for x y z in theta, phi and a, and extracted z.

When you integrate the ##\sin^3\theta \cos\theta## term, it'll vanish because the integrand is odd around ##\theta = \pi/2##. Is that what you found? The final answer pops out from the second integral.

Ah right, you have the z everywhere.

vela said:
When you integrate the ##\sin^3\theta \cos\theta## term, it'll vanish because the integrand is odd around ##\theta = \pi/2##. Is that what you found? The final answer pops out from the second integral.

If I integrate it from 0 to pi/2 I should get 1/4. (It's just [itex]\frac{\sin^4{\theta}}{4}[/itex], with theta=0 vanishing, if I'm not mistaken). But makes me think about the range (integration limits, not sure about the word for it). But if I spanned -pi/2 to pi/2 I would get zero in any case

Oh, I didn't notice you had written down the wrong limits. ##\theta## does indeed go from 0 to ##\pi##, not ##\pi/2##.

Likes S. Moger
Yes, that's it! Thank you very much.

Related to Problem integrating over a sphere.

1. What is the problem with integrating over a sphere?

The main problem with integrating over a sphere is that the surface area of a sphere varies at different points, making it difficult to determine a constant value for the integration.

2. How is the problem of integrating over a sphere different from integrating over other shapes?

The problem of integrating over a sphere is unique because the radius of a sphere changes at different points, while in other shapes such as a cube or cylinder, the dimensions remain constant.

3. What are some common methods used to solve this problem?

Two common methods used to solve the problem of integrating over a sphere are using spherical coordinates and using the divergence theorem.

4. Can the problem of integrating over a sphere be avoided?

In some cases, the problem of integrating over a sphere can be avoided by using symmetry properties or finding alternative methods of integration.

5. Why is it important to address this problem in scientific research?

This problem is important to address in scientific research because many physical phenomena, such as gravitational or electric fields, are modeled using spherical symmetry. Therefore, understanding how to integrate over a sphere is crucial for accurately analyzing and predicting these phenomena.