Problem in finding the General Solution of a Trigonometric Equation v2

In summary, the general solution for the equation ##\tan {x}+\tan {2x}+\tan {3x}=0## is ##x = \frac{n\pi}{3}##, ##n\pi \pm \alpha## where ##\tan {\alpha} = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}##. The steps to solve this equation involve converting the equation to ##2 - \tan{x}\tan{2x} = 0## and then expanding ##\tan{2x}## to get an equation involving ##\tan{x}## and a constant.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

:[/B]

Find the general solution of the equation: $$\tan {x}+\tan {2x}+\tan {3x}=0$$

Answer given: ##x=## ##\frac {n\pi}{3}##, ##n\pi \pm \alpha## where ##\tan {\alpha} = \frac {1}{\sqrt {2}}##.

Homework Equations

These equations may be used:

20170519_023122.png

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see the pic below:

1495188863110-223051699.jpg

The answer from the "EITHER" is correct, but how do I simplify the second part?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I find it hard to read and it is badly focused, so I am reluctant to type it out (after all you are too lazy to do so too ...), but I can distinguish you go from $$\left [ 1\ + \ {1\over 1-\tan\alpha\tan 2\alpha} \right ] = 0 $$ to something I don't understand and -- If I read it right -- don't believe...

Could you post the steps (typed) ?

BvU said:
I find it hard to read and it is badly focused, so I am reluctant to type it out (after all you are too lazy to do so too ...), but I can distinguish you go from $$\left [ 1\ + \ {1\over 1-\tan\alpha\tan 2\alpha} \right ] = 0 $$ to something I don't understand and -- If I read it right -- don't believe...

Could you post the steps (typed) ?
I've posted a better picture. Please see. And the ##\alpha## in your post will be ##x##.

Better focused, yes. Understand or believe ?
BvU said:
Could you post the steps

Wrichik Basu said:
I've posted a better picture. Please see. And the ##\alpha## in your post will be ##x##.
Looks good as far as you went, but why did you stop?
You can throw away the denominator, and convert the cos 3x back to trig terms in x and 2x again.

Likes Wrichik Basu
Ah, the last ##\cos 3x## is more like ##\cos 3x## plus ...

haruspex said:
Looks good as far as you went, but why did you stop?
You can throw away the denominator, and convert the cos 3x back to trig terms in x and 2x again.
I could, but I would've also got a sin term, which I can take to other side, and then cross multiply to get tan terms in x and 2x. Then?

Wrichik Basu said:
I could, but I would've also got a sin term, which I can take to other side, and then cross multiply to get tan terms in x and 2x. Then?
You should get an equation involving tan x, tan 2x and a constant.

Likes Wrichik Basu
haruspex said:
You should get an equation involving tan x, tan 2x and a constant.
Yes, ##2\tan {x}\tan {2x}=0##.

Then...I understood. Thanks a lot.

Wrichik Basu said:
Yes, ##2\tan {x}\tan {2x}=0##.

Then...I understood. Thanks a lot.
did you mean, ##2-\tan {x}\tan {2x}=0##?

haruspex said:
did you mean, ##2-\tan {x}\tan {2x}=0##?
No, I did a wrong calculation. Then how will I proceed after that?

I second haru: ##2-\tan {x}\tan {2x}=0## to be solved . Repeat: see post #2.

Wrichik Basu said:
No, I did a wrong calculation. Then how will I proceed after that?
If you now have that equation, expand the tan 2x. If not, please post your working.

Related to Problem in finding the General Solution of a Trigonometric Equation v2

1. What is the general solution of a trigonometric equation?

The general solution of a trigonometric equation is a set of all possible values of the variable that satisfy the equation. It is usually expressed in terms of a variable, such as x, and contains all the solutions that can be obtained by using different values for that variable.

2. Why is finding the general solution of a trigonometric equation difficult?

Finding the general solution of a trigonometric equation is difficult because trigonometric functions are periodic, meaning they repeat themselves after a certain interval. This makes it challenging to determine the exact values of the variable that satisfy the equation.

3. What techniques can be used to find the general solution of a trigonometric equation?

One technique is to use the unit circle to visualize the solutions and find patterns. Another technique is to use identities and trigonometric properties to manipulate the equation and simplify it. Additionally, using a graphing calculator can help to identify the solutions and their patterns.

4. Are there any special cases that need to be considered when finding the general solution of a trigonometric equation?

Yes, there are special cases such as when the equation contains multiple trigonometric functions or when the equation is quadratic in form. In these cases, additional steps may be needed to find the general solution.

5. Can the general solution of a trigonometric equation be expressed in different forms?

Yes, the general solution of a trigonometric equation can be expressed in different forms, such as using radians or degrees, or using exact values or approximations. The form used may depend on the context of the problem and the desired level of precision.