Problem in converting summation to integral

In summary, the conversation is about converting a summation from 1 to ∞ to a definite integral and the difficulties the person is facing in doing so. They have tried various methods from different sources but have not been able to get the correct answer. They have also included a Mathematica file for reference.
venki_k07

Homework Statement

Thank you very much for helping me.

I have to convert the following summation of a term from 1 to ∞ to a definite integral.

Sum for k=1 to ∞: (2+Cosh[2k/x]) Csch^4 [k/x]

I have already tried the rules for converting from different sources and websites, which is

replace r/n by x
repalce1/n by dx
replace Ʃ by ∫

but when i plot both the summation and the obtained integral, both are not same. Please tell me where i am doing wrong.

Limit n->∞: Sum for k=1 to n: (2+Cosh[2k n/(x n)]) Csch^4 [k n/(x n)] (n/n)

Since i cannot take "1/n" common, i multiplied and divided by "n".

1/n->dΔ
k/n->Δ

it becomes,

(2+Cosh[2Δn/x]) Csch^4 [Δn/x] dΔ limit: 1/n to 1

It will converge for n~10, so we don't have to use "n->∞" and so the solution will not diverge.

The Integral obtained is

x Coth[1/x] Csch[1/x]^2 - x Coth[n/x] Csch[n/x]^2

When i plot both, the above solution after integration and the actual sum are not the same. Please help me solving this.

I am also including the mathematica file along with this post.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 406
  • Sumtointegral.nb
    28.3 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org
Homework Equations The equations I used were mentioned in the problem statement.The Attempt at a Solution I attempted the problem as mentioned in the problem statement, but the answer obtained is not correct.

Related to Problem in converting summation to integral

What is the difference between summation and integration?

Summation and integration are both mathematical methods used to find the total value of a set of numbers or a function. The main difference is that summation involves adding up discrete values, while integration involves finding the area under a continuous curve.

Why is it sometimes difficult to convert a summation to an integral?

Converting a summation to an integral can be challenging because the two methods use different approaches. Summation involves adding up individual terms, while integration involves finding the limit of an infinite number of infinitely small rectangles. This difference in approach can make it difficult to find an equivalent integral expression for a given summation.

What are some techniques for converting a summation to an integral?

One common technique for converting a summation to an integral is to use the definition of a Riemann sum, which is a type of approximation for an integral. Another approach is to use the properties of summations, such as linearity and the change of variables, to manipulate the expression into a form that can be converted to an integral.

When is it necessary to convert a summation to an integral?

Converting a summation to an integral is necessary when dealing with continuous functions or when the number of terms in the summation becomes too large to compute manually. In these cases, using an integral can provide a more accurate and efficient way to find the total value of the function.

What are some real-world applications of converting summations to integrals?

Converting summations to integrals is commonly used in physics, engineering, and economics to solve problems involving continuous quantities such as velocity, acceleration, and total cost. It is also used in statistics to find the area under a probability distribution curve and in signal processing to analyze continuous signals.