Problem finding a partial derivative

In summary, the conversation is about a homework problem involving partial derivatives and checking answers using Wolfram Alpha. The problem is finding the second partial derivatives of v=\frac{xy}{(x-y)}. The student had trouble deriving v_{xy} and noticed a mistake in their quotient rule. After receiving help from another person, the student realized their mistake and understood the solution.
chexmix

Homework Statement

I am working on a homework problem involving partial derivatives. I've been checking my answers against what Wolfram Alpha spits out just for extra assurance. For the following problem

Find all the second partial derivatives: v = [itex]\frac{xy}{(x-y)}[/itex].

When I get to the point where I am deriving v[itex]_{xy}[/itex], Wolfram Alpha gives me

[itex]\frac{2xy}{(x-y)^3}[/itex]

but I get something different. If someone can tell me where I am going wrong here, I would be most grateful: I've stared at this for some time now. I suspect it is something very trivial. I am using the quotient rule.

2. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{y^2}{(x-y)^2}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{(x-y)^2 * 2y - y^2 * (2 (x-y))}{(x-y)^4}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{(x-y)((x-y)*2y - 2y^2)}{(x-y)^4}[/itex]

[itex]\frac{2xy-4y^2}{(x-y)^3}[/itex]

Thanks,

Glenn

Physics news on Phys.org
You forgot the minus.
[itex]\frac{\partial}{\partial y}[/itex] [itex]\frac{-y^2}{(x-y)^2}[/itex]

And in your quotient rule, you forgot the derivative on the "inner" function, which is -1.

[itex] \frac{\partial(x-y)^{2}}{\partial y}=2(x-y)(-1)[/itex]

Ahh, I was even further off than I thought. Thanks so much. It makes sense now.

Related to Problem finding a partial derivative

1. What is a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is a mathematical concept that measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant. It is denoted by the symbol ∂ (pronounced "partial").

2. When do we need to find a partial derivative?

A partial derivative is typically used when dealing with multivariable functions, where the output of the function is affected by more than one input variable. It allows us to analyze how the function changes when one variable is changed while holding others constant.

3. How do we find a partial derivative?

To find a partial derivative, we use the same techniques as we would for a regular derivative, but we only consider the variable that we are taking the derivative with respect to. All other variables are treated as constants. This means that we differentiate the function as usual and simply add the ∂ symbol in front of the variable we are considering.

4. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

The main difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative is that a partial derivative only considers the change in one variable while holding others constant, while a total derivative considers the change in all variables simultaneously. In other words, a partial derivative is a local rate of change, while a total derivative is a global rate of change.

5. Why is finding a partial derivative important?

Finding a partial derivative is important because it allows us to understand the behavior of multivariable functions and how they are affected by changes in individual variables. This can be useful in many fields, such as physics, engineering, and economics, where functions with multiple variables are commonly used to model real-world phenomena.