Problem dealing with elastic collisions.

In summary, Minnie Mouse (mass m=37.5g) runs to the top of a curved frictionless wedge (height H1=1.15m) and slides down the track, making a perfectly elastic collision with Mickey Mouse (mass m=69.8 g), who is initially at rest. After the collision, Mickey flies off the table (height H2= .993 m) above the floor and Minnie rebounds to a height H3 before eventually falling off the table. The equations used to solve this problem are conservation of momentum and conservation of energy, with the latter providing the velocity of the system.
dban33

Homework Statement

Minnie mouse (mass m=37.5g) has run to the top of a curved frictionless wedge (height H1=1.15m) She slides down the track and makes a perfectly elastic collision with mickey mouse (mass m=69.8 g) who is at rest. Mickey flies off the table (height H2= .993 m) above the floor and minnie rebounds to a height H3 before she eventually falls off the table.
How far from the edge of the table, X1, does mickey land?
How high up, H3, does minnie rebound?
How far from the edge of the table, X2, does minnie land?

Homework Equations

The equation I thought of using was M1V1i+ M2V2i=M1V1f + M2V2f.
This is not correct.

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried to use the equation above but I do not know the velocity of the system so that made me stop. Is that the equation I use? I do not know where to start on this one because I do not have a starting equation to use.

Physics news on Phys.org
dban33 said:
The equation I thought of using was M1V1i+ M2V2i=M1V1f + M2V2f.
This is not correct.

I tried to use the equation above but I do not know the velocity of the system so that made me stop. Is that the equation I use? I do not know where to start on this one because I do not have a starting equation to use.

Hi dban33! :smile:

For a collision between two bodies, you need two equations.

For any collision, one of those equations is conservation of momentum (that's the equation you quoted).

For an elastic collision (only), the other equation is (instantaneous) conservation of energy.

Have a go! :smile:

Ok good I am sortof on the right path then with the conservation of mometum equation. Is the conservation of energy equation V1i-V2i=-(V1f-V2f).

Both of these equations involve velocity though and I was not given that in the problem, where do I get that from?

Hi dban33! :smile:
dban33 said:
Ok good I am sortof on the right path then with the conservation of mometum equation. Is the conservation of energy equation V1i-V2i=-(V1f-V2f).

Nooo … that equation's rubbish … burn it!

Conservation of energy is KE + PE = constant.
Both of these equations involve velocity though and I was not given that in the problem, where do I get that from?

You'll get the velocity from the conservation of energy equation (the PE doesn't involve velocity). :wink:

Related to Problem dealing with elastic collisions.

1. What is an elastic collision?

An elastic collision is a type of collision between two objects in which both the total kinetic energy and the total momentum are conserved. This means that the objects bounce off each other without any loss of energy or deformation.

2. What is the difference between elastic and inelastic collisions?

In an elastic collision, the total kinetic energy and momentum are conserved, while in an inelastic collision, some of the kinetic energy is lost due to deformation or other factors. Inelastic collisions can also result in the objects sticking together after impact.

3. How is the coefficient of restitution related to elastic collisions?

The coefficient of restitution (e) is a measure of the elasticity of a collision. It is equal to the ratio of the relative velocity after collision to the relative velocity before collision. In an elastic collision, the coefficient of restitution is equal to 1.

4. What factors can affect the outcome of an elastic collision?

The outcome of an elastic collision can be affected by factors such as the masses of the objects, the velocities of the objects, and the angle at which they collide. The elasticity of the objects and the absence of external forces can also play a role.

5. How are elastic collisions useful in real-world applications?

Elastic collisions are useful in many real-world applications, such as in sports like billiards and tennis, where the conservation of momentum and energy is important. They can also be used in engineering to study the impact of objects and design safer structures. In physics, elastic collisions are often used as a simplified model for studying more complex collisions.