Problem concerning smooth manifolds

In summary, the problem asks for a diffeomorphism between a circle and a given set, but does not provide any information about the topology of the space. It is not clear whether the given set is a manifold or not, and it is also not clear how to prove that the mapping between the circle and the set is a diffeomorphism.
ala
A={ {{cos x, -sin x},{sin x, cos x}}|x [tex]\in[/tex]R}, show that set A is smooth manifold in space of 2x2 real matrix. What is tangent space in unity matrix?

My questions about problem:
1. What is topology here? (Because I need topology to show that this is manifold)
2. In solution they say that mapping x[tex]\rightarrow[/tex]{{cos x, -sin x},{sin x, cos x}} is diffeomorphism between circle and given set and from this follows that given set is manifold.
How to prove that this is diffeomorphosm? (proving by definition is pretty hard, although it's somehow obvious that this is true if use proper topology)
Diffeomorphism is special kind of mapping between two smooth manifolds - so I really don't know to show that this mapping is diffeomorphism (because before that I must show that A is smooth manifold).
3. They also say that in coords of this one dimensional smooth manifold, tangent vector is [tex]\frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]?

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you recognize that matrix as the rotation, in R2 about the origin through an angle [itex]\theta[/itex]? In other words, every matrix in A corresponds to a point on the unit circle- the point to which (1, 0) would be rotated by this matrix. This is a "many to one" correspondence since sine and cosine are periodic with period [itex]2\pi[/itex]. you might take, as your "coordinate neighborhoods", the intervals [itex](n\pi -\delta, (n+1)\pi - \delta)[/itex], with the obvious coordinate functions from R to A.

I know that, but in problem no topology is given. It is not justified to use topology that seem most natural. How can somebody ask question is some set manifold? (you can ask is some topological space manifold or is set A with topology T manifold)
Someone can say, ok matrices 2x2 can be understood as points in R^4, and given set of matrices as one dimensional subset of R^4 so I will use topology from R^4 (i.e. topology induced by metric in R^4). Using this topology given set maybe isn't manifold.
Do you see ambiguity?

Related to Problem concerning smooth manifolds

1. What is a smooth manifold?

A smooth manifold is a mathematical concept used to describe spaces that are locally similar to Euclidean spaces. It is a topological space that is locally homeomorphic to a Euclidean space of a certain dimension, and has a smooth structure that allows for calculus to be performed on it.

2. How are smooth manifolds different from other manifolds?

Smooth manifolds are different from other manifolds, such as topological manifolds or piecewise linear manifolds, because they have a smooth structure that allows for the use of calculus and other tools from differential geometry. This smooth structure is defined by a collection of charts that map the manifold to open subsets of Euclidean spaces.

3. What are the applications of smooth manifolds?

Smooth manifolds have many applications in mathematics and physics. They are used to study the geometric properties of spaces, such as curvature and volume, and to solve problems in differential equations, dynamical systems, and optimization. They also have applications in physics, particularly in the fields of general relativity and quantum mechanics.

4. How are smooth manifolds classified?

Smooth manifolds are classified based on their dimension and their topology. The dimension of a smooth manifold is the number of coordinates needed to describe its points locally. The topology of a smooth manifold refers to its global properties, such as connectedness and compactness. Smooth manifolds can also be classified based on their curvature, which can be positive, negative, or zero.

5. What are some challenges in working with smooth manifolds?

One challenge in working with smooth manifolds is the difficulty in visualizing them, since they can have more than three dimensions. Another challenge is the complexity of their structure, which can make calculations and proofs more difficult. Additionally, differentiable functions on smooth manifolds can behave in unexpected ways, making it challenging to generalize results from Euclidean spaces to manifolds.