Problem about a ball rolling on a rotating hoop

In summary: I thought the Legendre transformation relates the hamiltonian ##H(q,p)## to the lagrangian ##L(q, \dot{q})## like$$H = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\dot{q} - L$$In summary, the conversation discusses a tutorial problem involving finding the partial derivatives on Vf, with some confusion arising due to a typo in the solution and differing interpretations of the symbols used. The conversation then delves into the concept of energy conservation in Lagrangian and the conditions for it, with a mention of Legendre transform and generalized potential.
Tony Hau
[No template as this thread was moved to the homework forums after it had attracted several replies]
Here I have a tutorial problem as follows:
1588317307507.png

The problem I have is about part a, whose answer is as follows:
1588317372457.png

When I solve the partial derivative on Vf w.r.t. r, I get Vf = mω^2rsin^2(θ)/2 +g(θ), where g(θ) is a function of θ.
However, when I take the partial derivate on Vf w.r.t. θ, I get mω^2r^2sin(θ)cos(θ)dθ/dt + dg(θ)/dθ. This is different from the centrifugal force in θ dimension and I am confused.

Last edited by a moderator:
Likes etotheipi
Physics news on Phys.org
There is a typo in the solution: the ##\gamma## in the denominator should be an ##r##.

Tony Hau said:
I get Vf = mω^2rsin^2(θ)/2 +g(θ)
When I do ##\bigl (\nabla V_f\bigr )_r = {\partial V_{f,r}\over \partial r}\ , \ ## I get ##\ m\omega^2 r\ sin^2\theta##

Probably because I have a different idea what ##\nabla## is in polar coordinates.Oops, too long typesetting .. bravo kuru !

[edit] but there is an ##r## too many in ##-m\omega^2r^2\sin\theta\cos\theta## ...​

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
Tony Hau said:
When I solve the partial derivative on Vf w.r.t. r, I get Vf = mω^2rsin^2(θ)/2 +g(θ), where g(θ) is a function of θ.
How would you proceed to find ##g(\theta)##? You will have to solve $$\frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial }{\partial \theta}\left[\frac{1}{2}m\omega^2 r\sin^2\theta+g(\theta)\right]=m\omega^2r^2\sin\theta\cos\theta.$$What does that give you for ##g(\theta)##?

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
BvU said:
There is a typo in the solution: the ##\gamma## in the denominator should be an ##r##.When I do ##\bigl (\nabla V_f\bigr )_r = {\partial V_{f,r}\over \partial r}\ , \ ## I get ##\ m\omega^2 r\ sin^2\theta##

Probably because I have a different idea what ##\nabla## is in polar coordinates.Oops, too long typesetting .. bravo kuru !

[edit] but there is an ##r## too many in ##-m\omega^2r^2\sin\theta\cos\theta## ...​
I posted too soon and had to delete my original message in favor of what I think actually addresses OP's other issue, namely what to do with ##g(\theta)##. It wasn't clear to me that the typo was to blame for that.

Last edited:
There is no need to consider centrifugal force. Write the kinetic energy T relative the lab frame and the potential V of the force mg; L=T-V.

$$T=\frac{1}{2}m((\dot \theta r)^2+(r\omega\sin\theta )^2),\quad V=-mgr\cos\theta$$

Likes Tony Hau and etotheipi
wrobel said:
$$T=\frac{1}{2}m((\dot \theta r)^2+(r\omega\sin\theta )^2),\quad V=-mgr\cos\theta$$

Yes I was also confused as to why they use a rotating frame. To make it more difficult? It's a good exercise in any case though :wink:

Likes Tony Hau
And also derivatives in r are meaningless ; ##\theta## is only generalized coordinate

Likes Tony Hau and etotheipi
Thanks for all your answers, though I don't have the time to really study them at the moment because of a quiz few days later.

wrobel said:
This is similar to my initial approach. However I thought I was wrong after I had read the solution. Thanks anyway.

I have one more extra question about the question. I don't quite understand the last part of the solution. Particularly, when is the energy conserved in Lagrangian?

the energy
$$H=\sum_{i=1}^n\dot q_i\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i}-L$$
is conserved iff ##L## does not depend on ##t##

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
wrobel said:
the energy
$$H=\sum_{i=1}^n\dot q_i\frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot q_i}-L$$
is conserved iff ##L## does not depend on ##t##

So if you throw a ball up in the air, ##L = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{y}^2 - mgy \implies \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} = 0 \implies \frac{dE}{dt} = 0##. Although if the total energy is ##E## then just after it is thrown it has Lagrangian ##L = E## and at the top it has Lagrangian ##L = -E##. So the Lagrangian might vary in time, but so long as there is no explicit time dependence we have ##H = \text{constant}##?

etotheipi said:
So if you throw a ball up in the air, ##L = \frac{1}{2}m\dot{y}^2 - mgy \implies \frac{\partial L}{\partial t} = 0 \implies \frac{dE}{dt} = 0##. Although if the total energy is ##E## then just after it is thrown it has Lagrangian ##L = E## and at the top it has Lagrangian ##L = -E##. So the Lagrangian might vary in time, but so long as there is no explicit time dependence we have ##H = \text{constant}##?
For H to be equal to the sum of kinetic and potential energy, two conditions have to be satisfied according to my textbook. Firstly, the potential has to be independent of velocity. Secondly, the generalized coordinates have to be scleronomic, which means that the coordinates have no explicit time dependence. I am wondering if what wrobel has mentioned is what the second condition is saying.

I think what @wrobel quoted was a Legendre transform. If ##L## has no explicit time dependence then we may show that ##\frac{dH}{dt}=0##. Then as you say ##H## is generally, but not necessarily, ##E##. This requires an additional set of conditions which you quoted, i.e. there be no generalised potential and, also again, no time dependence in the Lagrangian.

etotheipi said:
Lagrangian might vary in time, but so long as there is no explicit time dependence we have H=constantH = \text{constant}?
Lagrangian does not depend on time means that it does not depend on time as a function $$L=L(t,q,\dot q),\quad \frac{\partial L}{\partial t}=0$$

Likes etotheipi
etotheipi said:
I think what @wrobel quoted was a Legendre transform.
no the Legendre transform is about p, I did not propose to go to impulses
etotheipi said:
there be no generalised potential
no problems with generalized potential if only L does not depend on t

• Informative
Likes etotheipi
wrobel said:
no the Legendre transform is about p, I did not propose to go to impulses

I thought the Legendre transformation relates the hamiltonian ##H(q,p)## to the lagrangian ##L(q, \dot{q})## like
$$H = \frac{\partial L}{\partial \dot{q}}\dot{q} - L$$

I did not express ##H## in terms of ##p## In my formulas ##H=H(q,\dot q)##
This is not the Hamiltonian and this is not the Legendre transform

Related to Problem about a ball rolling on a rotating hoop

1. What is the physics behind a ball rolling on a rotating hoop?

The motion of a ball rolling on a rotating hoop is governed by the principles of circular motion and conservation of angular momentum. As the hoop rotates, the ball experiences a centripetal force that keeps it moving in a circular path. The ball also gains angular momentum from the rotation of the hoop, which remains constant as long as there are no external torque acting on the system.

2. How does the radius of the hoop affect the ball's motion?

The radius of the hoop plays a crucial role in determining the ball's motion. A larger radius will result in a slower rotation of the hoop, causing the ball to move at a slower speed. On the other hand, a smaller radius will lead to a faster rotation of the hoop and a higher speed for the ball.

3. What happens to the ball's motion if the hoop's rotation speed changes?

If the hoop's rotation speed increases, the ball will also move faster, as the centripetal force acting on it will increase. Conversely, if the rotation speed decreases, the ball will slow down. However, the ball's angular momentum will remain constant, so it will adjust its position on the hoop accordingly.

4. Can the ball ever fall off the rotating hoop?

Yes, it is possible for the ball to fall off the rotating hoop if the centripetal force acting on it is not strong enough to keep it in a circular path. This can happen if the hoop's rotation speed is too slow or if the ball's speed is too high. Additionally, if the hoop's radius is too small, the ball may not have enough room to stay on the hoop's surface.

5. How can the motion of a ball rolling on a rotating hoop be applied in real-world situations?

The concept of a ball rolling on a rotating hoop has many practical applications, such as in amusement park rides and sports equipment. It can also be used to model the motion of planets and satellites in orbit around a central object. In engineering, this concept is important for understanding the dynamics of rotating parts, such as gears and wheels.