Probing series solution of DE: irregular singular point

In summary, the conversation discusses a differential equation and attempts to find a solution in the form of a power series. It is shown that for specific values of r and s, there is only one possible value for lambda that will result in a formal solution. The conversation also considers the possibility of using the Frobenius method, but it is not clear how to proceed with this approach.
K29

Homework Statement

Consider
[itex]y''+\frac{\alpha}{x^{r}}y'+\frac{\beta}{x^{s}}y=0[/itex]
Suppose we try find a solution of the form<br />
[itex]y=\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n+\lambda}[/itex]
Show that if r=2 and s=1 then there is only one possible value of [itex]\lambda[/itex] for which there is a formal solution in the form shown above.

The Attempt at a Solution

Substituting the general solution into the DE gives us:

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+ \lambda )(n+ \lambda -1)a_{n}x^{n+ \lambda -2}+\frac{\alpha}{x^{2}}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+ \lambda )a_{n}x^{n+ \lambda -1}+\frac{\beta}{x}\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n+ \lambda }=0[/itex]

[itex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+\lambda)(n+\lambda-1)a_{n}x^{n+ \lambda -2}+\alpha \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}(n+ \lambda )a_{n}x^{n+ \lambda -3}+\beta \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n+ \lambda -1}=0[/itex]

Pulling out some terms to make the starting terms in the summation have the same order of x:
[itex]\lambda(\lambda-1)a_{0}x^{\lambda-2}+\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}(n+\lambda)(n+\lambda-1)a_{n}x^{n+\lambda-2}+\alpha \lambda a_{0}x^{\lambda-3}+\alpha(1+\lambda)a_{1}x^{\lambda-2 }+\alpha \sum_{n=2}^{\infty}(n+\lambda)a_{n}x^{n+\lambda-3}+\beta \sum_{n=0}^{\infty}a_{n}x^{n+\lambda-1}=0[/itex]

Short of shifting the summations and doing some grouping(I don't feel like that is necessary to complete the answer to the question), at this point I'm not sure what I should do. Do I look at the coefficients of the lowest power of x as I would do if there was a quadratic indical equation? If that were the case I would simply say[itex]\alpha \lambda a_{0}=0[/itex] therefore the only possible value for [itex]\lambda[/itex] is zero(since alpha and [itex]a_{0}[/itex] are arbitrary). But then what does that mean for all the other co-efficients? Why would I be interested in that term anyway, since it is not actually an indical equation? I'm pretty sure that the solution lies in TRYING to get a quadratic indical equation and consequently failing

I feel like I'm not far from deducing the answer, but I'm uneasy since I think I'm essentially dealing with a question that is telling me to 'show that the Frobenius method won't work for an irregular singular point'. I have no rules for trying to do this.

Note: There is a similar question in Boyce & DiPrima Elementary Differential Equations and Boundary Value Problems(2nd edition)

Physics news on Phys.org
Chapter 8 problem 1a, but unfortunately the solution is not given.Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you.

Related to Probing series solution of DE: irregular singular point

1. What is a "Probing series solution"?

A probing series solution is a method used to find an approximate solution to a differential equation with an irregular singular point. It involves expanding the solution as a power series and using a change of variable to simplify the differential equation.

2. What is an "irregular singular point"?

An irregular singular point is a point in the domain of a differential equation where the coefficients of the equation become infinite or undefined. This can make it difficult to find an exact solution using traditional methods.

3. How does the probing series solution method work?

The probing series solution method works by expanding the solution as a power series and using a change of variable to simplify the differential equation. This allows us to find an approximate solution that is valid in a neighborhood of the irregular singular point.

4. What are the limitations of the probing series solution method?

The probing series solution method is limited to finding approximate solutions and may not always converge or be accurate. It also requires a lot of algebraic manipulation and is not suitable for all types of differential equations.

5. Are there any real-world applications for the probing series solution method?

Yes, the probing series solution method has applications in fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. It can be used to solve differential equations that model real-world phenomena with irregular singular points, such as oscillating systems or population growth models.