Rates of change - confused (again)

In summary, we are given that a cube is growing by 5 cubic inches per week and we need to find the rate at which its surface area is increasing when one of its sides is 7 inches long. Using the derivative of volume with respect to time, we can calculate the surface area of the cube by using the formula S=6(\sqrt[3]{V})^2. Then, using the chain rule, we can find the derivative of S with respect to t and solve for the rate of change. Alternatively, we can use the equations for volume and surface area to find the derivatives and solve for the rate of change.
crookesm
Imagine a cube that 'grows' by five cubic inches per week. How fast is its surface area increasing when the length of one of its sides is seven inches?

I know that the derivative of volume (V) with respect to time (t) is 5, e.g:

[tex] \frac{dV}{dt} = 5[/tex]

To calculate the surface area of a cube from a given volume I would use:

[tex] S=6(\sqrt[3]{V})^2 [/tex]

Therefore, would I need to calculate the derivate of S with respect to V in order to reach my goal of deriving S with respect to t?

Or am I going totally in the wrong direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
Differentiate S with respect to t, by using the chain rule.
Use your knowledge of V and dV/dt to calculate how fast the surface area changes.

Thanks Arildno,

I have been thinking about this more clearly...

1. I know the cube is growing at [tex]5in^2[/tex] per week.

2. This can be represented as [tex]5x[/tex] (where x is the week number)

3. I need to figure out the week where the length is 7 inches. Solving [tex] \sqrt[3]{5x} = 7 [/tex], I find that the week is 68.6

4. Therefore, I need to find the cube surface area's rate of change at week 68.6 - represented as: [tex] 6(\sqrt[3]{5x})^2 [/tex]

Plugging this into my calculator returns a rate of [tex]2.857in^2[/tex] per week. This is the correct answer I was looking for! Hurrah!

However, I have been trying to calculate the derivative manually without much success. I have been using the chain rule:

I am taking [tex]f(x)=6x^2[/tex] and [tex]g(x)=\sqrt[3]{5x}[/tex]. I understand I need to take the derivate of f(x) and g(x) as follows - [tex]f'(g(x))g'(x)[/tex]. I can calculate [tex]f'(x)=12(\sqrt[3]{5x})[/tex] but I cannot get [tex]g'(x)[/tex]. I'm totally stumped when trying to derive this. Any hints...?

Last edited:
Write g(x) like this:
[tex]g(x)=\sqrt[3]{5x}=5^{\frac{1}{3}}x^{\frac{1}{3}}[/tex]

Does that help?

Last edited:
Sorry about that - I kept screwing up my Latex formatting. I have edited my post it should be correct now..

Your not alone in this..
I've posted a hint, I don't know if you find it sufficient, though..

crookesm,

I think the notation you're using is getting you confused. Stick with V for volume and S for surface area. You're trying to find dS/dt. According to the chain rule:

dS/dt = dS/dV*dV/dt

You have equations for S(V) and V(t), so you can find those deriviatives.

Does that help?

Here's another way,

[tex] \frac {dV} {dt} = \frac {d} {dt} (a^3) = 3a^2 \frac {da} {dt} = 5 [/tex]
[tex] => \frac {da} {dt} = 5/(3*7*7) [/tex]

And
[tex] \frac {dS} {dt} =\frac {d} {dt} (6a^2) = 12a \frac {da} {dt} = \frac {12*7*5} {3*7*7}=20/7=2.857 [/tex]

1. What is the concept of rates of change?

The concept of rates of change refers to the speed at which a variable, such as distance or temperature, changes over time. It is often represented as a slope on a graph and can be calculated by dividing the change in the variable by the change in time.

2. What is the difference between average rate of change and instantaneous rate of change?

The average rate of change is the overall rate of change over a specific time interval, while instantaneous rate of change is the rate of change at a specific moment in time. It can be thought of as the slope of a tangent line on a graph at a specific point.

3. How do I calculate rates of change from a table or graph?

To calculate rates of change from a table, divide the change in the variable by the change in time between two data points. To calculate from a graph, find the slope of the line connecting two points on the graph.

4. How are rates of change used in real-life applications?

Rates of change are used in various fields such as physics, economics, and biology to analyze and predict how variables will change over time. For example, in physics, rates of change are used to calculate velocity and acceleration, while in economics, they can be used to determine the growth rate of a company.

5. What are some common misconceptions about rates of change?

One common misconception is that rates of change must always be positive. In reality, rates of change can be positive, negative, or even zero. Another misconception is that rates of change are constant, when in fact they can vary over time. It is important to understand the context and variables involved when interpreting rates of change.