Probability That They Are One Red, One White And One Blue Balls

In summary: If it was with replacement, then there would be three possible orders and the probabilities would be different.
chikis

Homework Statement

Three balls are drawn one after the other with replacement, from a bag containing 5 red, 9 white and 4 blue identical balls. What is the probability that they are one red, one white and one blue?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The question demands that I evaluate the probability that they are one red, one white and one blue balls in the three draws held.
They did not give the order which the draws will follow, I therefore assume it could be in order.
Here is my working:
Total number of balls = 18
P(r) = 5/18
P(w) = 9/18 = 1/2
P(b) = 4/18 = 2/9
The probability that they are one red, one white and one blue balls = P(1st-r,2nd-w,3rd-b) Or P(1st-w,2nd-b,3rd-r) Or P(1st-b, 2nd-r,3rd-w)
(5/18*1/2*2/9) + (1/2*2/9*5/18) + (2/9*5/18*1/2)
= 10 + 10 + 10/324
= 30/324
= 5/54
But the answer I got did not match with the answer they provided for the question. Is my working wrong or did I not follow the right principle?

Physics news on Phys.org
You mentioned three drawing orders, r.w.b, w.b.r, b.r.w.

What about others?

chikis said:

Homework Statement

Three balls are drawn one after the other with replacement, from a bag containing 5 red, 9 white and 4 blue identical balls. What is the probability that they are one red, one white and one blue?

You might find it easier to not treat this as though order counts. Have you studied the hypergeometric distribution? Look at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypergeometric_distribution

for a discussion and you will see how to use it for your problem.

Villyer said:
You mentioned three drawing orders, r.w.b, w.b.r, b.r.w.

What about others?

But the questions says, "Three balls are drawn one after the other with replacement, from a bag", so assume they three draws because they three balls. Don't you think the same?

chikis said:
But the questions says, "Three balls are drawn one after the other with replacement, from a bag", so assume they three draws because they three balls. Don't you think the same?

Sorry. I mis-read it as without replacement.

LCKurtz said:
Sorry. I mis-read it as without replacement.

Even if it is without replacement, does that make a change to the already laid down principle?

With replacement, there are, at each draw, 18 balls, 5 red, 9 white, and 4 blue. The probability of drawing a red ball is 5/18, a white ball is 9/18, and a blue ball is 4/18. Of course, because this is with replacement these are independent. If A and B are independent events then P(A and B)= P(A)P(B).

However, there are 3!= 6 "orders" in which you can draw the three balls, not 3:
RWB
RBW
WRB
WBR
BRW
BWR

Instead of calculating each one separately and adding note that the probabilities of each are all the same- (5/18)(9/18)(4/18)- and multiply by 6.

I think it is important at this juncture, that I inform you that your system of working is quite different from the working and answers provided by the people who set the question.
Here is the list of possible answers based on how you do the workings. A. 5/102 B. 5/136 C. 5/162 D. 5/204 E. 5/243.
It is unforturnate to note that your working did not fall into any of these answers.
Here is their own working:
P(1R, 1W, 1B) = 5/18 * 1/2 * 2/9 = 5/162 = option C.
What do you have say about it?

chikis said:
Even if it is without replacement, does that make a change to the already laid down principle?

I think it is important at this juncture, that I inform you that your system of working is quite different from the working and answers provided by the people who set the question.
Here is the list of possible answers based on how you do the workings. A. 5/102 B. 5/136 C. 5/162 D. 5/204 E. 5/243.
It is unforturnate to note that your working did not fall into any of these answers.

chikis said:
rs.

That calculation looks correct since the three events are independent.

chikis said:
That is correct if the original question was "one red, one white and one blue ball" in that order. That was not my interpretation since the words "in that order" were not in the original problem. In fact you said, in your original post, "They did not give the order which the draws will follow".

In any case, it is not "quite different"- it only drops the factor of "3!= 6", the number of possible orders.

Related to Probability That They Are One Red, One White And One Blue Balls

1. What is the probability of drawing one red, one white, and one blue ball from a bag containing 10 balls of each color?

The probability of drawing one red, one white, and one blue ball from a bag containing 10 balls of each color is 1/120, or approximately 0.0083.

2. How can we calculate the probability of drawing one red, one white, and one blue ball from a different number of balls in each color?

To calculate the probability of drawing one red, one white, and one blue ball from a different number of balls in each color, we need to know the total number of balls in the bag and the number of each color. Then, we can use the formula P = (r/n) x (w/n-1) x (b/n-2), where r, w, and b represent the number of red, white, and blue balls, respectively, and n is the total number of balls in the bag.

3. What is the probability of drawing three balls of the same color from a bag containing 10 balls of each color?

The probability of drawing three balls of the same color from a bag containing 10 balls of each color is 1/10, or 0.1. This is because there are 10 possible combinations of three balls of the same color (e.g. three red balls, three white balls, three blue balls) out of a total of 30 balls in the bag.

4. Can we use the same formula to calculate the probability of drawing three balls of the same color from a bag with a different number of balls in each color?

Yes, the same formula can be used to calculate the probability of drawing three balls of the same color from a bag with a different number of balls in each color. The only difference is that the values for r, w, and b will be different depending on the number of balls in each color.

5. How can we increase the probability of drawing one red, one white, and one blue ball from a bag containing balls of each color?

The probability of drawing one red, one white, and one blue ball can be increased by adding more balls of each color to the bag. This will increase the total number of possible combinations and therefore increase the overall probability. Alternatively, we can also decrease the total number of balls in the bag while maintaining the same ratio of red, white, and blue balls to increase the probability of drawing the desired combination.