Find the probability of different scenarios

In summary, Bag A contains 1 white straw, 2 red straws and 2 green straws, while Bag B contains 2 white straws, 2 red straws, and 1 green straw. When one straw is randomly drawn from each bag, the probabilities that (a) the two straws drawn are of the same colour is 3/5, and (b) one straw is red and the other one is green is 4/25.
LokLe
Summary:: Bag A contains 1 white straw, 2 red straws and 2 green straws. Bag B contains 2 white
straws, 2 red straws and 1 green straw. One straw is drawn at random from each bag. Find the
probabilities that
(a) the two straws drawn are of the same colour;
(b) one straw is red and the other one is green.

I don't know if my answers are correct.

My answers are:
a. 1/5*2/5+2/5*2/5+1/5*2/5

b. 2/5*1/5+2/5*2/5

Physics news on Phys.org
Correct, but please post homework problems in our homework section (I moved the thread).
You should probably evaluate these expressions for final answers.

Likes LokLe
mfb said:
Correct, but please post homework problems in our homework section (I moved the tread).
You should probably evaluate these expressions for final answers.
Ok thx

Related to Find the probability of different scenarios

1. What is probability and why is it important in scientific research?

Probability is a measure of how likely an event is to occur. It is important in scientific research because it allows us to make predictions and draw conclusions based on data.

2. How do you calculate probability?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be represented as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

3. What are the different types of probability?

There are three main types of probability: theoretical, experimental, and subjective. Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual data collected from experiments. Subjective probability is based on personal beliefs or opinions.

4. How can probability be used to make decisions?

Probability can be used to make decisions by providing a measure of uncertainty. By understanding the likelihood of different outcomes, we can make more informed decisions and minimize risk.

5. Can probability be used to predict the future?

While probability cannot guarantee the exact outcome of a future event, it can be used to make predictions based on past data and trends. However, it is important to note that probability is not a crystal ball and unexpected events can always occur.