Probability that 3 people are born on different months from each other

• Thread starter torquerotates
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the conversation discussed how to find the probability that 3 people are born on different months from each other. The initial attempt was to use the formula P[(X1,X2) and (X2,X3) and (X3,X1)]=P(X1,X2)*P(X2,X3)*P(X3,X1), but it was pointed out that this formula only works for independent events. The correct answer, according to the book, is (11/12)*(10/12). The conversation also explored different approaches to solve the problem, such as looking at the big picture and considering all possible combinations.
torquerotates

Homework Statement

find the probability that 3 people are born on different months from each other

The Attempt at a Solution

So here's my reasoning. There are 3 people X1, X2, X3. Let (Xi,Xj) denote the pair have different birthmonths. P[(X1,X2) and (X2,X3) and (X3,X1)]=P(X1,X2)*P(X2,X3)*P(X3,X1)

Well P(Xi,Xj)=11/12
thus P[(X1,X2) and (X2,X3) and (X3,X1)]=P(X1,X2)*P(X2,X3)*P(X3,X1)=(11/12)^3

But that is not the answer. My book said the answer is (11/12)*(10/12).

I don't see what is wrong with my reasoning. for the 3 to have different birthmonths, any two would have different birthmonths. X1 different from X2, X2 from X3, X3 from X1.

Physics news on Phys.org
Do you mean that no two are born in the same month, or that it is not the case that the three are born in the same month, and that you are assuming that the probability of being born in any month is equally-likely ?

Sorry. The question mentions that no two people are born on the same month. Also, the probability being born in any month is equality likely.

Sorry, my quote function does not work. Notice that X1,X2 may have been born in different months, and same for X2,X3, but it is still possible for X1,X3 to have been born in the same month as each other.

Basically: how many total choices of months are there for the 3 people to have been born in? And, out of all those choices, how many satisfy your condition ? One way of seeing the last is that, once X1, say has "chosen" a month to be born in, then you don't consider that choice for X2, and so on. Try a tree in which the root is the month X1 is born in, and where that month is no longer considered for X2, etc.

Bacle2 said:
Notice that X1,X2 may have been born in different months, and same for X2,X3, but it is still possible for X1,X3 to have been born in the same month as each other.

I think i accounted for X1 and X3 when i set up the equation P[(X1,X2) and (X2,X3) and (X3,X1)]=P(X1,X2)*P(X2,X3)*P(X3,X1). There are only 3 combinations where any two cannot be equal to each other.

Bacle2 said:
Basically: how many total choices of months are there for the 3 people to have been born in? And, out of all those choices, how many satisfy your condition ? One way of seeing the last is that, once X1, say has "chosen" a month to be born in, then you don't consider that choice for X2, and so on. Try a tree in which the root is the month X1 is born in, and where that month is no longer considered for X2, etc.

Thanks. That makes sense. I didn't think of approaching the problem this way at first. The most intuitive way for me to approach counting isn't to take up one slot at a time but to consider the whole picture like looking at the set of 3 and then taking 3C2.

I agree it is a good idea to look at the big picture and to experiment, but it is also good to have a more formal way to fall back on, to check your other approaches. The issue of whether you are double-counting or not in considering (xi,xj) as you did is tricky, and so is the independence. Maybe testing against the more formal way would help.

torquerotates said:
I think i accounted for X1 and X3 when i set up the equation P[(X1,X2) and (X2,X3) and (X3,X1)]=P(X1,X2)*P(X2,X3)*P(X3,X1). There are only 3 combinations where any two cannot be equal to each other.
This formula (the joint probability is the product of the probabilities of the individual events) is only valid if the individual events are independent of one another. What are your events, and are they truly independent events?

BTW, the answer in your book, (11/12)*(10/12), is correct.

Related to Probability that 3 people are born on different months from each other

1. What is the concept of probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood of an event occurring. It is expressed as a number between 0 and 1, with 0 representing impossibility and 1 representing certainty.

2. How is the probability of 3 people being born on different months calculated?

The probability of 3 people being born on different months is calculated by dividing the number of possible outcomes (12 months in a year) by the total number of outcomes (12 x 12 x 12 = 1728 possible combinations of birth months for 3 people). Therefore, the probability is 12/1728 or approximately 0.0069.

3. Why is it important to consider the probability of 3 people being born on different months?

This concept is important in understanding the likelihood of events occurring in real-world situations. It can also help in making informed decisions and predicting outcomes based on statistical data.

4. How does the probability of 3 people being born on different months relate to the concept of independence?

The probability of 3 people being born on different months assumes that the birth month of one person does not affect the birth month of another person. This is an example of independent events, where the outcome of one event does not influence the outcome of another event.

5. Can the probability of 3 people being born on different months change?

Yes, the probability can change depending on the specific population being studied. For example, if the population consists of only twins, the probability of 3 people being born on different months would be 0. However, in a larger and more diverse population, the probability would be closer to the calculated value of 0.0069.