Probability Question -- Choosing red and white coins from two tables

• Thread starter nothing909
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
This probability is 3/8. So, to find the probability of getting a white coin from table 2, we can add the probabilities of a white coin being taken from table 1 and a red coin being taken from table 1 and multiply it by the probability of getting a white coin from table 2 after a white coin has been added from table 1. This can be written as (5/8 * 1) + (3/8 * 3/7). This simplifies to 21/56. Therefore, the probability of getting a white coin from table 2 after a coin has been taken from table 2 is 21/56.In summary, the probability of getting a white coin from table
nothing909

Homework Statement

table 1 has 3 red and 5 white coins. table 2 has 4 red and 2 white coins. a coin is chosen at random without knowing its color from table 1 and placed onto table 2. then as coin is taken from the second table. what is the probability that the coin chosen from the second table is white?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The answer is 21/56, but, I'm unsure how to work this out.

What I have tried is:

there is a 5/8 probability of a white coin being taken from table 1 and placed onto table 2.

then, from table 2, I assumed that the white coin from table 1 has been added, so, now there is 3 white coins on table 2.

I then did 3x(5/8) / 7, which gives me 15/56.

Physics news on Phys.org
nothing909 said:
there is a 5/8 probability of a white coin being taken from table 1 and placed onto table 2.
then, from table 2, I assumed that the white coin from table 1 has been added, so, now there is 3 white coins on table 2.
I then did 3x(5/8) / 7, which gives me 15/56.
This is ok. Now there is also a probability that a red coin was taken from table 1 and onto table 2.

Related to Probability Question -- Choosing red and white coins from two tables

What is the probability of choosing a red coin from the first table and a white coin from the second table?

The probability of choosing a red coin from the first table is 1/2, since there are an equal number of red and white coins in the first table. The probability of choosing a white coin from the second table is also 1/2, since there are an equal number of red and white coins in the second table. Therefore, the overall probability is 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4.

What is the probability of choosing a red coin from both tables?

The probability of choosing a red coin from the first table is 1/2, and the probability of choosing a red coin from the second table is also 1/2. Therefore, the overall probability is 1/2 x 1/2 = 1/4.

What is the probability of choosing at least one white coin?

The probability of choosing at least one white coin is 3/4. This can be calculated by subtracting the probability of choosing no white coins (1/4) from the total probability of choosing a coin from either table (1).

What is the probability of choosing a red coin from the first table or a white coin from the second table?

The probability of choosing a red coin from the first table is 1/2, and the probability of choosing a white coin from the second table is also 1/2. Since these events are mutually exclusive, the overall probability is 1/2 + 1/2 = 1.

What is the probability of choosing a red coin from the first table given that a white coin was already chosen from the second table?

The probability of choosing a red coin from the first table given that a white coin was already chosen from the second table is 1/2. This is because the first table still has an equal number of red and white coins, and the previous event (choosing a white coin from the second table) does not affect the probability of choosing a red coin from the first table.