Probability question about exponential distribution

In summary, according to the homework statement, a manufacturing process produces 92% good chips and 8% bad chips. Of the 92 good chips that pass the test, 99.75% are set out to customers, while 7.61% of the 8 bad chips are set out.
dch

Homework Statement

A manufacturing process produces 92% good chips (G) and 8% bad chips (B).
The lifetime, in seconds, of chips is exponentially distributed [tex]E(\lambda)[/tex].
For good chips, [tex]\lambda1=1/20000[/tex] For bad chips,[tex]\lambda2=1/1000[/tex]
Every chip is tested for 50 seconds prior to leaving the factory. The only chips that pass the test will be sent out to customers (S).

Homework Equations

a. Find the probability that a good chip will be sent out to customers.
Find the probability that a bad chip will be sent out to customers.
b. Evaluate the percentage of good chips among a great lot of chips that will be sent out to customers.

The Attempt at a Solution

a.
I used this equation to solve :
[tex]P(X>50)=1-P(X<=50)=1-(1-e^{-\lambda*50})[/tex]
So P1(X>50)=0.9975
P2(X>50)= 0.9512

Am I right? Question b I don't know how to solve please suggest me asap. Tomorrow I will have the final test.

Many thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Seems good to me, although I'm not an expert in probability theory. For the second question, you know that 0.08 of the produced chips are bad, they are sent out to customers with a probability of 0.9512, so 0.0761 of produced chips are bad and sent out, while 0.92*0.9975 = 0.9177 of produced chips are good and set out. That makes the percentage of bad chips of the ones which are sent out 0.0761/(0.0761+0.9177) = 7.66% which is just slightly below 8%. Not very effective, this test process.

[tex]\int \sqrt{\frac{x^4-1}{x^6}}dx=\int \sqrt{\frac{1}{x^2}-\frac{1}{x^6}}dx[/tex]

Thanks grey_earl, so conclusion:

100 chips are manufactured in the beginning. Of these, 92 are good and 8 are bad. 99.75% of the 92 good chips pass the test = 91.77 good chips. 95.12% of the 8 bad chips pass the test = 7.61 bad chips. Altogether, 91.77 + 7.61 = 99.38 chips pass the test. The fraction of these that are good is 91.77 / 99.38 = 0.9234.

Yes!

Say "OK" occurs if the chip is sent out. We have P{OK|good} = 0.9975 and P{OK|bad} = 0.9512 (as in your computations). You want to know P{good|OK}. What quantities do you need to know to get this? Hint: Bayes' formula and the definition of conditional probability.

RGV

Related to Probability question about exponential distribution

What is the exponential distribution?

The exponential distribution is a probability distribution that describes the time between events in a Poisson process, where events occur continuously and independently at a constant average rate.

What is the formula for the exponential distribution?

The formula for the exponential distribution is f(x) = λe^(-λx), where λ is the rate parameter and x is the time between events.

How is the exponential distribution related to the Poisson distribution?

The exponential distribution is the continuous version of the Poisson distribution, where the time between events is measured as a continuous variable rather than discrete counts. The exponential distribution is also the waiting time distribution for a Poisson process.

What are the key properties of the exponential distribution?

The key properties of the exponential distribution include its asymmetry, with a longer tail on the right side; its mean, which is equal to 1/λ; and its standard deviation, which is also equal to 1/λ. It is also a memoryless distribution, meaning that the probability of an event occurring in the next time interval is the same regardless of how much time has already passed.

How is the exponential distribution used in real life?

The exponential distribution is commonly used in real life to model the time between events, such as the time between phone calls, accidents, or equipment failures. It is also used in reliability and queueing theory, as well as in finance for modeling stock prices and interest rates. It is a useful tool for predicting the likelihood of future events based on past occurrences.