Probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution?

In summary: I am an expert summarizer and do not respond or reply to questions. In summary, the conversation discusses finding the probability that it will take anywhere from 16.00 to 16.50 seconds to develop a print in a photographic process with a normally distributed developing time. The solution involves using the Gaussian Distribution formula and the Cumulative Distribution Function, which can be found in tables or using computer programs. Methods for obtaining the CDF are also discussed.
adamwitt

Homework Statement

In a photographic process, the developing time of prints may be looked upon as
a random variable which is normally distributed with a mean of 16.28 seconds
and a standard deviation of 0.12 second. Find the probability that it will take
anywhere from 16.00 to 16.50 seconds to develop one of the prints.

Homework Equations

130a296efe2b12deae42cd9200ab04f2.png

sigma = std dev = 0.12
mu = mean = 16.28

The Attempt at a Solution

I *think* I know what I need to do, just don't know how to do it:

So I have the Guassian Distribution formula (with std dev & mean plugged in) as my Probability Density Function.
I need to find the area under the Cumulative Distribution Function over the interval 16 to 16.50.
Because the integrals in CDFs are evaluated from -inf to a, I need to subtract the (integral of CDF from -inf to 16) from the (integral of CDF from -inf to 16.50), and that will be my answer.

But I don't know how to (A) Get the CDF, (B) Evaluate the CDF integral.

Ive tried reading up on the net but I'm not following the theory, can someone please show me how to do this? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, that is entirely correct. However, you cannot solve the CDF integral explicitly or find the CDF, since the integral involved is unsolvable.

What you need to do is find the CDF is tables or using computer programs. Are you following a course in probability? Then you should have been given a table with the CDF of the standard normal distribution. Otherwise, see http://www.pavementinteractive.org/index.php?title=Normal_Distribution where a table has been given at the bottom of the page...

Of course, these tables and many of the tables you know are only of the standard normal distribution (that is: mean=0 and stdev=1). So you'll need to convert your probability to a probability involving the standard normal distribution...

adamwitt said:

Homework Statement

In a photographic process, the developing time of prints may be looked upon as
a random variable which is normally distributed with a mean of 16.28 seconds
and a standard deviation of 0.12 second. Find the probability that it will take
anywhere from 16.00 to 16.50 seconds to develop one of the prints.

Homework Equations

130a296efe2b12deae42cd9200ab04f2.png

sigma = std dev = 0.12
mu = mean = 16.28

The Attempt at a Solution

I *think* I know what I need to do, just don't know how to do it:

So I have the Guassian Distribution formula (with std dev & mean plugged in) as my Probability Density Function.
I need to find the area under the Cumulative Distribution Function over the interval 16 to 16.50.
Because the integrals in CDFs are evaluated from -inf to a, I need to subtract the (integral of CDF from -inf to 16) from the (integral of CDF from -inf to 16.50), and that will be my answer.

But I don't know how to (A) Get the CDF, (B) Evaluate the CDF integral.

Ive tried reading up on the net but I'm not following the theory, can someone please show me how to do this? Thank you!

Yes, that's correct. The CDF is the integral:

[tex]F(x, \mu, \sigma^2) = \int \limits_{-\infty} ^ x f(t, \mu, \sigma^2)dt = \Phi \left( \frac{x - \mu}{\sigma} \right) = \frac{1}{2} \left( 1 + \mbox{erf} \left( \frac{x - \mu}{\sqrt{2}\sigma} \right) \right)[/tex]

There should be some table of value at the back of your book of [tex]\Phi[/tex], or erf function.

Or you can even get it online:
  • http://www.geophysik.uni-muenchen.de/~malservisi/GlobaleGeophysik2/erf_tables.pdf"
  • http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm"

Cheers,

Last edited by a moderator:
You need access to tables or computer-generated values of the normal cumulative. Besides the sources listed in the other responses, you can find the normal cumulative on some of the better hand-held calculators. It is also a built-in function in EXCEL and other, similar spreadsheets.

R.G. Vickson

Ray Vickson said:
You need access to tables or computer-generated values of the normal cumulative. Besides the sources listed in the other responses, you can find the normal cumulative on some of the better hand-held calculators. It is also a built-in function in EXCEL and other, similar spreadsheets.

R.G. Vickson

Another refugee from sci.math, eh? Welcome to PF Ray (I assume that's you).

--Lynn

Related to Probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution?

1. What is the formula for calculating probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution?

The formula for calculating probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution is: P(a < x < b) = Φ(b) - Φ(a), where Φ is the cumulative distribution function of the Normal Distribution.

2. How do you interpret the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution?

The probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution represents the likelihood of a random variable falling within that interval. It can also be interpreted as the area under the Normal Distribution curve between the two values a and b.

3. Can the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution be greater than 1?

No, the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution cannot be greater than 1. This is because the total area under the Normal Distribution curve is equal to 1, and the probability over an interval is a portion of this total area.

4. How does the mean and standard deviation affect the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution?

The mean and standard deviation play a crucial role in determining the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution. The mean shifts the curve left or right, while the standard deviation controls the spread of the curve. A larger standard deviation results in a wider curve and a higher probability over an interval.

5. Can the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution be negative?

No, the probability over an interval in a Normal Distribution cannot be negative. This is because the Normal Distribution curve is always non-negative, meaning it never dips below the x-axis.