Probability of Selecting All Women in a Group of 5 from a Room of 100 People

• Thread starter zzinfinity
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary, the probability of selecting a group of 5 women from a room of 100 people, assuming each woman is equally likely to be selected and without replacement, is (10/100)*(9/99)*(8/98)*(7/97)*(6/96). This is also equivalent to the ratio 10C5 / 100C5.
zzinfinity
Suppose I have a room of 100 people, 10 of which are women. What is the probability that a group of 5, selected at random, are all women.

Is it (.1)^5 or is it (10/100)*(9/99)*(8/98)*(7/97)*(6/96). Or is it something else? Also any references to help me understand this question better would be greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
Second one looks right to me

The probability, assumming each woman is equally-likely to be selected is:

# of ways of choosing 5 women / # of ways of choosing any 5 people, which

agrees with your second answer. The first answer is true if you had "replacement",

i.e., if every time a woman was selected, she would go back into the pool. But

once you select a woman I imagine you select the second, etc., from the remaining

ones, so that the probability of selecting is not always 0.1; it changes every time

one is selected, which is reflected in your second answer.

BTW, the more formal way is doing the ratio: 10C5 / 100C5

where nCm := n!/(m!(n-m)!).

1. What is probability?

Probability is a measure of the likelihood or chance that an event will occur. It is represented as a number between 0 and 1, where 0 indicates impossibility and 1 indicates certainty.

2. How is probability calculated?

Probability is calculated by dividing the number of favorable outcomes by the total number of possible outcomes. This is known as the classical definition of probability.

3. What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumptions, while experimental probability is based on actual observations and data. Theoretical probability is often used to predict outcomes, while experimental probability is used to analyze past events.

4. What is the Law of Large Numbers?

The Law of Large Numbers states that as the number of trials or experiments increases, the experimental probability of an event will approach the theoretical probability. In other words, the more trials we conduct, the more accurate our results will be.

5. How is probability used in real life?

Probability is used in many real-life situations, such as weather forecasting, risk assessment, and gambling. It helps us make informed decisions and predict the likelihood of certain events occurring.