Probability of obtaining even number

In summary, we are discussing two probability questions, one about the sum of two six-sided dice and the other about the outcome of a horse race. For the first question, the probability of obtaining an even number less than 8 when rolling two fair dice is 3/4. For the second question, where there are 10 equally likely horses in the race, the probability of a single bet correctly predicting the first three horses in the correct finishing order can be calculated by multiplying the individual probabilities of each horse winning, placing, and showing.
有問題的人
I have two probability questions..

and I have no clues staring them...

So... let's do this..

Two fair six-sided are rolled and the face values are added. What is the probability of obtaining a sum that is an even number less than 8?

There are 10 horses in a race. A particular bet requires a customer to choose the first three horses in the correct finishing order. If all 10 horses have an equal chance of finishing in any position, determine the probability that a single bet wins.

Physics news on Phys.org

You need to show your work before we can help you. Please take a moment to read the homework help guidelines, as linked to in my signature.

cristo said:
You need to show your work before we can help you. Please take a moment to read the homework help guidelines, as linked to in my signature.

but I have no ideas about how to start this...

NVM~~ I got the first one

I just need to know how to do the second one

You just told us you had no idea how to even start the first one. Now, 3 minutes later you have finished it? Good, now try the second!

HallsofIvy said:
You just told us you had no idea how to even start the first one. Now, 3 minutes later you have finished it? Good, now try the second!

I can't conquer my brain... so... I need you guys' help

Ok maybe you need to review some basics. If A is an event with probability P(A) and B is an event with probability P(B), what is P(A and B)? After you've figured that out, can you state the second problem in a similar form?

There are 10 horses in the race and all are equally likely to win. What is the probability any specific one will win? What is the probability that the horse you bet on will win?

Given that, there are 9 horses left that might come in second and all are equally likely to come in second. What is the probability that the horse you bet on to place will place?

Given that, there are 8 horses left that might come in third and all are equally likely to come in third. what is the probability that the horse you bet on to show will show?

nicksauce said:
Ok maybe you need to review some basics. If A is an event with probability P(A) and B is an event with probability P(B), what is P(A and B)? After you've figured that out, can you state the second problem in a similar form?

Can't find the similarity =o=

HallsofIvy said:
There are 10 horses in the race and all are equally likely to win. What is the probability any specific one will win? What is the probability that the horse you bet on will win?

Given that, there are 9 horses left that might come in second and all are equally likely to come in second. What is the probability that the horse you bet on to place will place?

Given that, there are 8 horses left that might come in third and all are equally likely to come in third. what is the probability that the horse you bet on to show will show?

This is helpful~ thanks~ I got it

Now that you've got it, let me clarify to you what I wrote. We are looking for the probability that A wins the race, B gets second, and C gets third. (Assuming that you bet on A to win, B to get second and C to get third). We can write this as P(A gets first AND B gets second AND C gets third). Now we know (or we should know) that P(X AND Y) = P(X) * P(Y given X), thus the final probability becomes

P(A gets first AND B gets second AND C gets third) = P(A gets first)P(B gets second AND C gets third given that A gets first) = P(A gets first)P(B gets second given A gets first)P(C gets third given A gets first and B gets second)

This is in symbols what HallsOfIvy wrote in words.

Related to Probability of obtaining even number

What is the concept of "Probability of obtaining even number"?

The probability of obtaining even number refers to the likelihood of getting an even number in a random event or experiment. It is a measure of the chance that an even number will occur compared to all possible outcomes.

How is the probability of obtaining even number calculated?

The probability of obtaining even number is calculated by dividing the number of desired outcomes (even numbers) by the total number of possible outcomes. This can be expressed as a fraction, decimal, or percentage.

What factors influence the probability of obtaining even number?

The probability of obtaining even number is influenced by the number of possible outcomes, the number of desired outcomes, and the randomness of the event or experiment. Other factors such as sample size and external factors may also play a role.

What is the difference between theoretical and experimental probability?

Theoretical probability is based on mathematical calculations and assumes that all outcomes are equally likely. Experimental probability is based on actual results from an experiment or real-life events. It may vary from theoretical probability due to chance or bias.

How can the probability of obtaining even number be used in real life?

The concept of probability of obtaining even number is used in many areas of life, such as gambling, insurance, and risk assessment. It can also be used in decision making, as it helps to determine the likelihood of a certain outcome and make informed choices.