What are the probabilities for events A and B in a set of 10 cards?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a set of 10 cards numbered 1-10 and choosing a card at random. Event A is choosing a number less than 8 and event B is choosing an even number. The task is to draw a Venn diagram and calculate the probabilities for various events. The summary also mentions a mistake in calculating the probability of A union B, which can be resolved by counting the number of cards in A union B. Finally, there is a question about the probability of drawing a 9, which is clarified by considering that 9 is not part of the cards.
brake4country
I need some help in checking my work, especially #4. Problem: You have a set of 10 cards numbered 1-10. You choose a card at random. Event A is choosing a number less than 8. Event B is choosing an even number. Draw a Venn Diagram and calculate each of the following probabilities:

1) P(A) = 77.8%
2) P(B) = 55.6%
3) P(A intersection B) = 33%
4) P(A union B) = 100%
5) P(A complement) = 22.2%

For #4, my calculations were P(A union B) = P(A) + P(B) - P(A and B). Did I calculate something wrong here?

Physics news on Phys.org
This should be moved to the homework forums.

Did you draw a picture?

I don't understand your problem 4. What is the probability of drawing a 9?

I moved the thread to our homework section.

You have 10 cards with equal probabilities (I guess), where do you get all the odd percentage values from?
The mistake with (4) follows from wrong answers to the previous parts. Alternatively, you could simply count how many cards are in (A union B).

All your answers would be correct if 9 wouldn't be part of the cards.

For #1, it looks like you are dividing the number of cards in A by 9. Why? There are 10 cards in all. Same for #2 and others.

Related to What are the probabilities for events A and B in a set of 10 cards?

What is a Venn diagram?

A Venn diagram is a visual representation of the relationships between different sets of data. It consists of overlapping circles or other shapes, with each circle representing a separate set and the overlap representing the common elements shared by the sets.

How is a Venn diagram useful?

Venn diagrams are useful for organizing and visualizing data, particularly when comparing and contrasting different sets. They can also help identify patterns, similarities, and differences between sets of data.

What is a sample space?

A sample space is the set of all possible outcomes of a given experiment, arranged in a systematic way. It is often represented using a Venn diagram, with each circle representing a different category of outcomes.

How is a sample space related to a Venn diagram?

A sample space is often represented using a Venn diagram, with each circle representing a different set of outcomes. The overlapping areas of the circles represent the intersection of the sets, or the outcomes that are shared by multiple categories.

How can Venn diagrams and sample spaces be used in probability?

Venn diagrams and sample spaces are commonly used in probability to visually represent and calculate the likelihood of different outcomes. By using a Venn diagram to organize the sample space, it becomes easier to calculate probabilities of specific events or combinations of events.