Probability of drawing 2 marbles

In summary: Thanks a lot. This makes a lot of sense (one of those feelings of man, why didn't I think of that). Basically it is the probability of getting exactly the first marble (and none of the others) plus the probability of getting exactly the second marble (and none of the others), plus the probability of getting exactly the third marble (and none of the others) etc, etc. Is that the right way to think about it? Can you explain a bit more what you mean by the symmetry of the problem? I understand that the distribution of draws is the same for any person but it still seems to me that what the first person draws affects the other draws. If I come up with,
aaaeee123

Homework Statement

There are m different buckets of marbles where each bucket has a different number of colored marbles (m). The total number of marbles is the same in each bucket and is K.

There are K individuals who walk past each bucket and pick 1 marble out of each one (so all marbles are given out).

What is the probability for an individual to have at least 2 colored marbles?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I have been trying to think of this as:

Prob(at least 2 colored marbles) = 1 - [prob(no colored marbles) + prob(exactly 1 colored marble)].

And where
prob(no colored marbles) = ((K-m[1])/K) * ((K-m[2])/K) * ... * ((K-m)/K)
prob(no colored marbles) = (1-(m[1]/K)) * ... * (1-(m/K))

I am having trouble figuring out the prob(exactly 1 colored marble). Is it from the binomial distribution with binomial parameter (sum_i(m))?

Also, from a larger standpoint, I am not sure this approach is correct due to the fact that the marbles are not replaced. The buckets are independent but clearly what the first person draws affects the second person, etc. So, should I be using a hypergeometric distribution?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, by symmetry of the problem, no, it does not matter that there are k people (because the distribution of draws for any person is the same, so just imagine the first person.)

As for the probability of exactly 1 marble, it is a rather ugly beast. There are m ways it can happen, and the probability of each of those ways is different - and each way of it happening is calculated by the product of m terms. That is, it would look like

(m[1]/K)*(1-m[2]/k)*... * (1-m[n]/K) +
(1-m[1]/K)*(m[2]/k)*... * (1-m[n]/K) + ... etc.

Thanks a lot. This makes a lot of sense (one of those feelings of man, why didn't I think of that). Basically it is the probability of getting exactly the first marble (and none of the others) plus the probability of getting exactly the second marble (and none of the others), plus the probability of getting exactly the third marble (and none of the others) etc, etc. Is that the right way to think about it?

Can you explain a bit more what you mean by the symmetry of the problem? I understand that the distribution of draws is the same for any person but it still seems to me that what the first person draws affects the other draws. If I come up with, for instance, the probability of the first person getting 2 or more colored marbles is 0.25. Can I say that I then expect 4 out of 10 people (on average) to get 2 or more colored marbles? If I wanted to test for this would a fisher exact test be inappropriate?

Thanks again for your reply!

JeSuisConf said:
Well, by symmetry of the problem, no, it does not matter that there are k people (because the distribution of draws for any person is the same, so just imagine the first person.)

As for the probability of exactly 1 marble, it is a rather ugly beast. There are m ways it can happen, and the probability of each of those ways is different - and each way of it happening is calculated by the product of m terms. That is, it would look like

(m[1]/K)*(1-m[2]/k)*... * (1-m[n]/K) +
(1-m[1]/K)*(m[2]/k)*... * (1-m[n]/K) + ... etc.

Related to Probability of drawing 2 marbles

1. What is the probability of drawing 2 marbles of the same color?

The probability of drawing 2 marbles of the same color depends on how many marbles of each color are in the bag. For example, if there are 10 red marbles and 10 blue marbles, the probability of drawing 2 red marbles would be (10/20) * (9/19) = 0.236 or 23.6%. This assumes that the first marble is not replaced after it is drawn.

2. How does the number of marbles in the bag affect the probability of drawing 2 marbles?

The number of marbles in the bag directly affects the probability of drawing 2 marbles. The more marbles there are, the lower the probability of drawing 2 of the same color. This is because as the number of marbles increases, the number of possible combinations also increases, making it less likely to draw 2 of the same color.

3. What is the probability of drawing 2 marbles of different colors?

The probability of drawing 2 marbles of different colors also depends on the number of marbles of each color in the bag. For example, if there are 10 red marbles and 10 blue marbles, the probability of drawing 1 red marble and 1 blue marble would be (10/20) * (10/19) = 0.263 or 26.3%. Again, this assumes that the first marble is not replaced after it is drawn.

4. How does replacing a marble after it is drawn affect the probability of drawing 2 marbles of the same color?

Replacing a marble after it is drawn increases the probability of drawing 2 marbles of the same color. This is because when a marble is replaced, the number of marbles in the bag remains the same, and the probability of drawing a specific color does not change. Therefore, the probability of drawing 2 of the same color would be (10/20) * (10/20) = 0.25 or 25%.

5. Is the probability of drawing 2 marbles affected by the order in which they are drawn?

No, the probability of drawing 2 marbles is not affected by the order in which they are drawn. This is because each marble is drawn independently, and the probability of drawing a specific color remains the same regardless of the order in which the marbles are drawn.