Probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin

• Thread starter battery88
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Probability
In summary: THH, HTH, or HHT.In summary, the conversation involved discussing the probability of getting a tail followed by two heads on three flips of a biased coin. The solution involved finding the probability of getting one tail and two heads in any order, and then accounting for the specific order of THH. The final answer was found by multiplying the probability of one tail and two heads in any order by the probability of getting THH out of the three possible outcomes. The correct answer, as determined by Battery88, is 9/64 or approximately 0.14.
battery88

Homework Statement

Suppose we have a biased coin for which the probability of heads is 3/4 while the probability of tails is 1/4 . What is the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on three flips of the coin?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Here is what I have so far: There are 2^3 possible outcomes {HHH, HHT, HTH, THH, HTT, THT, TTH, TTT}, and only one way to get THH. I've hit a wall and any pointers would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Alright, just think about the chances of getting a permutation with one tail and two heads: {THH, HTH, HHT}. Hint: each flip outcome is independent of the others. Then, how likely is it you get a particular one of these outcomes?

Last edited:
Okay, thanks for the help. I've been stuck on this for hours.

Isn't there only one way to get THH, since it says "a tail followed by two heads on three flips"

battery88 said:
Isn't there only one way to get THH, since it says "a tail followed by two heads on three flips"
Yes. What is the probability of each flip outcome individually? How would you combine them?

Yes, I was just asking you to take the problem in steps. First to figure out how many possible ways you could get one tail and two heads in any order, with three flips. Then, what is that chance that out of those possibilities you get one particular one.

haruspex said:
Yes. What is the probability of each flip outcome individually? How would you combine them?

Multiply them.

battery88 said:
Multiply them.
So go ahead and multiply, to coin a phrase.

1/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 = 9/64

battery88 said:
Multiply them.

What I was asking you to do is multiply the odds to find the probability of one tail and two heads, out of three flips. This, however, does not account for order; you are finding the probability of THH, HTH, or HHT.

Maybe it would help to write formally:

A = getting THH in particular
B = occurrence of getting 1 head and 2 tails in any order

P(A and B) = P(A|B) * P(B)

That is to say, the probability of getting THH, is equal to the probability of getting THH out of {THH, HTH, HHT} times the probability of getting two heads and one tail in any order

I can be a little more explicit if you need, but ideally I'd like to get you to figure it out yourself from that hint if you're able.

Edit: I mistakenly typed TTH. Obviously, I meant THH.

If you can come up with an answer, I'll tell you if it's correct or not.

Okay, the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order = 3/8.

And, the probability of getting THH out of {THH, HTH, HHT} = 1/3.

So, 3/8 * 1/3 = 1/8

But, I'm not accounting for the bias.

battery88 said:
1/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 = 9/64

Yes.

bossman27 said:
you are finding the probability of THH, HTH, or HHT.
The OP says "What is the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on three flips of the coin?" I.e. just THH.

Let me try again.

the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order = 3 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4 = 27/64.

And, the probability of getting THH out of {THH, HTH, HHT} = 1 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4 = 9/64.

So, 27/64 * 9/64 = .059

haruspex said:
The OP says "What is the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on three flips of the coin?" I.e. just THH.

Right, I was just referencing what I recommended to him for a first step. I clarified that he must then account for the fact that he's looking for a particular order.

battery88 said:
Let me try again.

the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order = 3 * 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4.

And, the probability of getting THH out of {THH, HTH, HHT} = 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4.

Not quite, 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4 is the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order.

What's the probability of picking one option out of three?

To maybe explain a little more:

Notice that 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4 = 1/4 * 3/4 * 3/4 = 3/4 * 1/4 * 3/4

This is giving the probability that in three independent trails, where in each trail one outcome has a probability of .25, and the other has a probability of .75, the outcome with .25 odds will happen once, and the one with .75 odds will happen twice.

You have found the odds of {THH, HTH, HHT}. Now that you have that probability, look back at my other formula/post and notice that you have only one simple step left...

Namely, given {THH, HTH, HHT}, what is the probability of picking THH? It's probably much simpler than you think.

bossman27 said:
Not quite, 3/4 * 3/4 * 1/4 is the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order.

What's the probability of picking one option out of three?

1/3.

So, would the answer be 27/64 * 1/3?

No, you multiplied by an extra 3 in there somewhere. It should be (9/64) * (1/3)

Thanks for all your help. We're working on these more in class this week so it'll be nice to know what's going on.

No problem at all, just make sure make sure you try to understand what you're actually calculating at each step. It's a much better way to learn than just trying to plug in numbers.

bossman27 said:
No, it's not. Consider the case of an unbiased coin. You'd be saying that 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8 is the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order. That's obviously wrong.

Battery88 got the correct answer way back in post 9.

vela said:
No, it's not. Consider the case of an unbiased coin. You'd be saying that 1/2 * 1/2 * 1/2 = 1/8 is the probability of getting a tail and two heads in any order. That's obviously wrong.

Battery88 got the correct answer way back in post 9.

Woops :eek:, looks like I'm the one who needs to understand what they're doing. Apologies for the wrongheaded answer, I guess I'll need to do some brushing up of my own on stats.

Yeah, that's definitely true. When you don't know the how and why it's hard to figure out which formulas to use in the first place.

battery88 said:
Yeah, that's definitely true. When you don't know the how and why it's hard to figure out which formulas to use in the first place.

That is why it is a good idea to avoid canned formulas until you *do* know what is happening.

You can work it out from first principles, but you need to forget about binomnial coefficients and all that, and just start from basics. So, if T1 = tails on toss 1, H2 = heads on toss 2 and H3 = heads on toss 3, you want to calculate P(T1 H2 H3) (and by AB I mean ##A \cap B## for events A and B). Let p be the probability of heads on a single toss. We have P(T1 H2) = P(T1)*P(H2|T1) = (1-p)*P(H2|T1). Since the two tosses are independent we have P(H2|T1) = P(H2) = p, so we finally get P(T1 H2) = (1-p)*p. Similarly, P(T1 H2 H3) = P(T1)*P(H2|T1)*P(H3|T1,H2) = P(T)*P(H)*P(H) = (1-p)*p^2.

So, why do we write P{1T, 2H} = C(3,1)*p^2*(1-p) = 3*p^2*(1-p)? The reason is that {1T,2H} = {H1 H2 T3, H1 T2 H3, T1 H2 H3}, and all three of these points have the same probability p^2*(1-p), so when we add them up we get 3*p^2*(1-p).

Last edited:

Related to Probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin

What is the "probability of a tail followed by 2 heads" on a biased coin?

The probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin refers to the likelihood of getting a sequence of events where a tail appears first, followed by two consecutive heads, when flipping a coin that is not perfectly balanced.

How is the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads calculated?

The probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin can be calculated by multiplying the probability of getting a tail (which is typically denoted as P(T)) with the probability of getting two heads in a row (which is typically denoted as P(HH)). This can be expressed as P(T) x P(HH) = P(T) x P(H) x P(H).

What factors affect the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin?

The probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin can be affected by various factors, including the weight distribution of the coin, the surface on which it is being flipped, and the force or angle used to flip the coin. These factors can all impact the likelihood of getting a specific sequence of events when the coin is flipped.

How does the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin differ from that of a fair coin?

The probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin is different from that of a fair coin because a biased coin is not equally likely to land on either side. This means that the probability of getting a tail or a head may not be 0.5 as it would be for a fair coin. As a result, the probability of getting a specific sequence of events, such as a tail followed by 2 heads, may also be different.

Can the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin ever be 0?

Yes, the probability of a tail followed by 2 heads on a biased coin can be 0. This would occur if the coin is so heavily biased that it always lands on the same side, making it impossible to get a sequence of events such as a tail followed by 2 heads. However, in most cases, the probability will be greater than 0 but less than 1.