Probability of <3 Errors in 10-char Msg

In summary, we are using the binomial formula to calculate the probability of less than 3 errors occurring in a 10-character message with a 1/10 probability of a character error. This involves adding up the values for k = 0, 1, 2 and using the values for n = 10 and p = 1/10. As long as there are no mathematical errors, the resulting answer should be correct.
magnifik
In sending 10 characters, a character error occurs independently with probability 1/10. What is the probability that in a 10-character message, less than 3 errors occur?

I am using the binomial formula (n choose k)pk(1-p)n-k where n = 10, p = 1/10, and k is the number of errors. Since the problem statement says less than 3 errors occur, I adding up the values for k = 0, 1, 2

(10 choose 0)(1/10)0(1-1/10)10 + (10 choose 1)(1/10)1(1-1/10)9 + (10 choose 2)(1/10)2(1-1/10)8, but i am wondering if I am doing this correctly? should i be adding or multiplying?

Physics news on Phys.org
magnifik said:
In sending 10 characters, a character error occurs independently with probability 1/10. What is the probability that in a 10-character message, less than 3 errors occur?

I am using the binomial formula (n choose k)pk(1-p)n-k where n = 10, p = 1/10, and k is the number of errors. Since the problem statement says less than 3 errors occur, I adding up the values for k = 0, 1, 2

(10 choose 0)(1/10)0(1-1/10)10 + (10 choose 1)(1/10)1(1-1/10)9 + (10 choose 2)(1/10)2(1-1/10)8, but i am wondering if I am doing this correctly?

You have written everything correctly, so if you have not made any arithmetical errors your answer should be correct.

RGV

thanks

Last edited:

Related to Probability of <3 Errors in 10-char Msg

1. What is the probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message?

The probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message depends on the specific error rate of the communication channel. Assuming a perfect communication channel with no errors, the probability would be 0. However, in real-world scenarios, the probability can range from very low to high depending on the quality of the channel.

2. How is the probability of <3 errors calculated?

The probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message can be calculated using the binomial distribution formula, which takes into account the number of trials (10 characters), the probability of success (no error), and the number of desired outcomes (<3 errors). Another approach is to use a probability tree diagram to visualize the possible outcomes and calculate the probability based on that.

3. What factors can affect the probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message?

The main factor that can affect the probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message is the quality of the communication channel. Other factors such as the complexity of the message, the type of encoding used, and the presence of noise can also impact the probability. Additionally, the probability can also be affected by the error correction techniques used in the communication system.

4. Is it possible to have a 100% probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message?

No, it is not possible to have a 100% probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message in real-world scenarios. Even with advanced error correction techniques, there is always a chance of errors occurring in the communication process. However, the probability can be very close to 100% if the communication channel is of high quality and the message being transmitted is simple and easy to decode.

5. How can the probability of <3 errors be improved in a 10-character message?

The probability of <3 errors in a 10-character message can be improved by using more reliable communication channels, such as fiber optics or satellite communication, which have lower error rates. Additionally, using more advanced error correction techniques and simplifying the message can also help improve the probability. Regular maintenance and monitoring of the communication system can also help identify and fix any potential issues that may lead to errors.