Waiting for a train in a subway

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Train
In summary, the conversation discusses the use of probability distribution functions in calculating the probability of a train arriving after a certain time, as well as the expected waiting time. It is noted that the use of an exponential distribution with a rate of 10 is appropriate and leads to consistent results.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
Relevant Equations
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 1.34.24 AM.png

(a) $$P(X≥10)=∫_{10}^∞10e^{−10x}dx=e^{−100}$$

(b) $$E(X)=∫_0^∞10xe^{−10x}dx=\frac{1}{10}$$

(c)$$\frac{10e^{−10}}{P(X≥10)}=10e^{100−10x}=\text{the new probability distribution for}\quad x≥10$$
$$E(X)=∫_{10}^∞10xe^{100−10x}dx=\frac{101}{10}$$😒

(d) imho it's unclear which "probability distribution functions" I should use here.
$$\begin{cases}
10e^{-10x} & 0\leq a\leq 10\\
0 & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}$$
$$\begin{cases}
\frac{10e^{-10x} }{1-e^{-100}} & 0\leq a\leq 10\\
0 & \text{otherwise}
\end{cases}$$
The first doesn't satisfy the definition of the probability distribution function because its integral over ##\mathbb{R}## is less than 1. The second one has been normalized to 1 but it is not equal to ##X\sim \exp⁡(10)##. The first leads to ##\frac{1-101e^{-100}}{10}## minutes. The second leads to ##\frac{1}{10(1−e^{−100})}## minutes which does not parse with the fact that train always arrives by 10 minutes at the latest, so it should be less than 110 minutes.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
First, at this level I would prefer to remain with the generic exponential distribution, as we can see more clearly what's going on. Just plug in ##\lambda = 10## and ##t_0 = 10## to get the numerical answers.

For example, for part a) we see that $$P(X \ge t_0) = e^{-\lambda t_0} = e^{-100}$$

For part c) I suggest you need to introduce a new variable ##X' = X - t_0##, which represents the remaining time beyond ##t_0##, and ##X## represents the total time including ##t_0##.

I don't agree with your answer, because you want ##E(X')## instead of ##E(X)##.

For part d), conceptually we have a reduced sample space of those cases where ##X \le t_0##. We may, therefore, take the truncated distribution for ##X \le t_0## and scale it up by the relevant factor. In this case:
$$f(x) = \frac{\lambda e^{-\lambda x} } {\int_0^{t_0}\lambda e^{-\lambda x}dx} \ (0 \le x \le t_0)$$Which is equivalent to your second option.

• Love
Likes docnet
Are you sure that by exp(10) they mean something that looks like ##e^{-10 x}## and not something like ##e^{-x/10}##?

The question in general makes a lot more sense if it's the latter. Perhaps a typo in the book?

Likes docnet and PeroK
PeroK said:
For part c) I suggest you need to introduce a new variable ##X' = X - t_0##, which represents the remaining time beyond ##t_0##, and ##X## represents the total time including ##t_0##.
thank you :)

$$X'=X-t_0$$
$$E(X')=E(X)-E(t_0)=\frac{101}{10}-10=\frac{1}{10}$$
Do you think it strange the answers for (b) and (c) are same?

Office_Shredder said:
Are you sure that by exp(10) they mean something that looks like ##e^{-10 x}## and not something like ##e^{-x/10}##?

The question in general makes a lot more sense if it's the latter. Perhaps a typo in the book?
yes, I'm sure the professor means ##\lambda e^{-\lambda x}##
Screen Shot 2021-11-29 at 2.09.10 PM.png

docnet said:
Do you think it strange the answers for (b) and (c) are same?
No, not strange. Inevitable, if you do the maths. Once an exponential, always an exponential!

And nobody is objecting ? If the waiting time is really six seconds, the train can't even stop ! :oldlaugh:

##\ ##

BvU said:
And nobody is objecting ? If the waiting time is really six seconds, the train can't even stop ! :oldlaugh:

##\ ##
It's called a bullet train!

• Haha
Likes BvU
PeroK said:
No, not strange. Inevitable, if you do the maths. Once an exponential, always an exponential!
To see this, consider the distribution for ##x' = x - t_0## in the cases where we have waited a time ##t_0## without a train. We have:
$$P(X \ge t_0) = \int_{t_0}^{\infty} \lambda e^{-\lambda x} dx = e^{-\lambda t_0}$$That's the size of the new sample space. And:
$$f(x') = \frac{\lambda e^{-\lambda(x' + t_0)}}{e^{-\lambda t_0}} = \lambda e^{-\lambda x'}$$Which shows that the distribution for the remaining time remains the same exponential distribution.

That's a good example of what you discover when you stick to the general case and resist the temptation to plug and chug!

• Love
Likes docnet

Related to Waiting for a train in a subway

1. What is the best way to pass time while waiting for a train in a subway?

Some popular ways to pass time while waiting for a train in a subway include listening to music, reading a book or magazine, playing games on your phone, or people-watching.

2. How long do trains typically take to arrive in a subway station?

The average wait time for a train in a subway station can vary depending on the time of day and the specific subway system. However, most trains arrive every 5-10 minutes during peak hours and every 10-15 minutes during off-peak hours.

3. Is it safe to wait for a train in a subway alone?

While it is generally safe to wait for a train in a subway alone, it is always a good idea to be aware of your surroundings and to stay in well-lit and populated areas. If you feel uncomfortable or unsafe, it is best to move to a different area or wait with a group of people.

4. What should I do if my train is delayed while waiting in a subway?

If your train is delayed, it is best to check the subway system's website or app for updates on the delay. You can also ask a station attendant for information. If the delay is significant, you may want to consider taking an alternate form of transportation.

5. Can I eat or drink while waiting for a train in a subway?

Most subway systems allow passengers to eat and drink while waiting for a train. However, it is important to be considerate of others and to properly dispose of any trash. Additionally, some subway systems may have specific rules or restrictions on eating and drinking, so it is best to check their guidelines beforehand.