Probability in a Deck of Cards

In summary, the conversation is discussing the probability of getting all red cards after removing one black card from a deck of 52 cards and dealing 13 cards. The attempted solution is to calculate the number of red cards in a sample of 51 cards and multiply it by the number of red cards left in the deck, divided by the new total of 50 cards. However, this does not yield the correct answer of 2/3. Another method using the hypergeometric distribution is suggested, which also does not give the correct answer. It is determined that the correct answer is 38/1740081, and the discrepancy between the two methods may be due to a mistake in the calculation.
TranscendArcu

Homework Statement

In a deck of 52 cards, one black card is removed. There are then 13 cards dealt. Show that the probability that they are all red is 2/3.

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why I can't calculate the probability as
Screen_shot_2012_04_15_at_4_11_15_PM.png

That is, the the number of red cards when total cards is 51 divided by this total, times the number of red cards, given that one was drawn previously, divided by the new total of 50, etc. etc.

But this value isn't even close to 2/3! Apparently it's more like 13/(1 740 081)

How can I increase my denominator by several hundred thousand to get 2/3?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi TranscendArcu! :smile:
TranscendArcu said:
In a deck of 52 cards, one black card is removed. There are then 13 cards dealt. Show that the probability that they are all red is 2/3.

No, that's ludicrous! :rolleyes:

The question must be wrong. :biggrin:

TranscendArcu said:

Homework Statement

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand why I can't calculate the probability as
Screen_shot_2012_04_15_at_4_11_15_PM.png

That is, the the number of red cards when total cards is 51 divided by this total, times the number of red cards, given that one was drawn previously, divided by the new total of 50, etc. etc.

But this value isn't even close to 2/3! Apparently it's more like 13/(1 740 081)

How can I increase my denominator by several hundred thousand to get 2/3?

I get the answer = 38/1740081 (as compared with your 13/1740081), but I don't get anything like 2/3. Whoever told you the answer is 2/3 is either wrong or is describing a different problem.

This is a simple problem in the hypergeometric distribution. We have a deck of 51 cards, 26 red and 25 black. We want to know the probability of getting 13 red in a sample of size 13; I just used the hypergeometric formula.

RGV

When I first did this problem, I calculated C(26,13)/C(51,13). This gives the answer of 38/1740081. I ultimately multiplied out all of the probabilities at each draw because, to me, it seemed more easily visualizable. But I don't know why the two methods should return different results unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the method of multiplying out at each draw.

TranscendArcu said:
When I first did this problem, I calculated C(26,13)/C(51,13). This gives the answer of 38/1740081. I ultimately multiplied out all of the probabilities at each draw because, to me, it seemed more easily visualizable. But I don't know why the two methods should return different results unless there is something fundamentally wrong with the method of multiplying out at each draw.

Your product above has 14 factors, not 13.

RGV

Related to Probability in a Deck of Cards

What is the total number of cards in a standard deck?

A standard deck of cards has 52 cards in total. This consists of 13 cards in each of the four suits (hearts, diamonds, clubs, and spades), with each suit containing an ace, 2 through 10 cards, and three face cards (jack, queen, and king).

What is the probability of drawing a specific card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a specific card from a deck of cards is 1/52, or approximately 1.92%. This is because there are 52 different cards in a deck, and each card has an equal chance of being drawn.

What is the probability of drawing a certain suit of cards from a deck?

The probability of drawing a certain suit of cards (hearts, diamonds, clubs, or spades) from a deck is 1/4, or 25%. This is because there are four suits in a deck, and each suit contains 13 cards, making the probability of drawing a specific suit 13/52, which simplifies to 1/4.

What is the probability of drawing a face card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a face card (jack, queen, or king) from a deck is 3/13, or approximately 23.08%. This is because there are 12 face cards in a deck (3 from each of the four suits), and 52 total cards, making the probability 12/52, which simplifies to 3/13.

What is the probability of drawing a certain value or rank of card from a deck?

The probability of drawing a certain value or rank of card (ace, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, jack, queen, or king) from a deck is 1/13, or approximately 7.69%. This is because each value or rank has four different cards (one from each suit) in a deck of 52 cards, making the probability of drawing a specific value or rank 4/52, which simplifies to 1/13.