Probability distribution of random events

In summary, the conversation discusses the probability of winning in a lottery simulation where the chance of winning is 1 in 1000. The probability of winning at least once is determined to be 64.1% with 1000 bought tickets and 87.1% with 2000 bought tickets. The idea of using a probability density function to describe the events is explored, but the exact distribution is not found. It is suggested to use a binomial or Poisson distribution to approximate the probability. The conversation ends with a clarification that the goal is to calculate the probability of winning at least once in a certain number of trials.
malawi_glenn
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Gold Member
Hi

Imagine we have a lottery, with chance of winning 1 in 1000 (1/1000). I have made computer simulations in order to find confidence levels for winning. At 1000 bought lottery tickets, the confidence of winning is 64.1% and 2000 bought lottery tickets the confidence of winning is 87.1%

By changing the chance of winning to 1/X, I have verified that there is always 64.1% confidence at X bought lottery tickets, and 87.1% confidence at 2X bought tickets.

Clearly, there must be a probability density function that describe these kind of events but I have failed at finding such in all of my textbooks at home. I was thinking about the Poisson distribution, but that just tell us the distribution of the number of wins for a certain number of bought lottery tickets.

I am only interested if a person wins or not, not how many wins they get. So, should I integrate the Poisson distribution from 1 to infinity? And if Poisson is the correct distribution, how to I figure out the "mean" from the chance of winning?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
It's easier to calculate the probability that all the purchased tickets lose.

drmalawi said:
At 1000 bought lottery tickets, the confidence of winning is 64.1% and 2000 bought lottery tickets the confidence of winning is 87.1%

If you mean "the probability of winning", you should use that phrase. In statistics, "confidence" has a different meaning than "probability".

You didn't define what you mean by "winning". Presumably you mean that you have at least one winning ticket.

You didn't define whether 1000 tickets each have different numbers. For example, in an actual lottery, if the goal is to buy at least one winning ticket, it would be best to buy 1000 tickets, each with a different set of numbers written on them, as opposed to buying 1000 tickets, each with a randomly selected set of numbers written on it - because if you buy randomly selected tickets, you might buy the same set of numbers more than once.
Clearly, there must be a probability density function that describe these kind of events but I have failed at finding such in all of my textbooks at home.

The probability space you have described has only two outcomes "I win" and "I don't win", so a probability distribution on that space involves only two probabilities.

If you wish to consider a probability space with a larger number of outcomes, you need to define the outcomes in that space. Perhaps your computer simulation is not actually a simulation of a lottery. It might be a simulation of M independent trials, where the probability of winning on each trial is 1/N. If an outcome is defined as winning on K of the M trials for K = 0,1,2..N then we have a binomial distribution. A binomial distribution can be approximated by a normal distribution or by a poisson distribution.

If the goal is only to compute the probability of winning on at least 1 of the M trials then take @Nugatory 's suggestion.

Ok I figured this one out. It was just to take 100% - P(not winning) :)

I don't understand, didn't you determine the probability was 1/1000? What are you estimating then, the number of wins after n trials?

What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of different outcomes occurring in a random event. It assigns a probability to each possible outcome, which can be represented graphically as a curve or histogram.

What is the difference between discrete and continuous probability distributions?

Discrete probability distributions are used for events that have a finite number of possible outcomes, such as rolling a dice. Continuous probability distributions are used for events that have an infinite number of possible outcomes, such as measuring the height of a person.

How is the mean of a probability distribution calculated?

The mean of a probability distribution is calculated by multiplying each possible outcome by its corresponding probability and then adding all of these products together. This is also known as the expected value.

What is the purpose of a probability distribution?

The purpose of a probability distribution is to help us understand and predict the likelihood of different outcomes in a random event. It allows us to make informed decisions and draw conclusions based on the probabilities of different outcomes.

How can the shape of a probability distribution tell us about the likelihood of certain outcomes?

The shape of a probability distribution can tell us about the likelihood of certain outcomes by showing us the relative probabilities of each outcome. For example, a bell-shaped curve indicates that the most likely outcome is in the middle, while a skewed curve indicates that the most likely outcome is at one end.