Probability distribution, a 1-D dirac delta in n-dimensions

In summary, the problem is to find a probability distribution for a random vector which is concentrated on the n-1 dimensional sphere of radius R. I am given a probability distribution for the random variable ##X=(X_1,X_2,...,X_N)\in \mathbb{R}## which is concentrated on the n-1 dimensional sphere of radius R. I am given a probability distribution for the random variable ##p(\boldsymbol{x})=\dfrac{n}{A_{n-1}}\delta(\lvert{\boldsymbol{x}}\rvert^n-R^n)## where ##A_n=\dfrac{2\pi^{(n+
Dante Tufano
Hey everybody, I'm an engineering Ph.D. so my knowledge of n-dimensional Euclidean spaces is lacking to say the least. I'm wondering what sort of approach I can take to solve this problem.

##\boldsymbol{1.}## and ##\boldsymbol{ 2. }##

I am given a probability distribution for a random variable:

##\boldsymbol{X}=(X_1,X_2,...,X_N)\in \mathbb{R}##

which is concentrated on the n-1 dimensional sphere of radius R

##\Omega\equiv\{\boldsymbol{x}\in\mathbb{R}^n:\lvert \boldsymbol{x} \rvert^2=\sum_{j=1}^n x^2_j=R^2 \}##

I am given a probability distribution

##p(\boldsymbol{x})=\dfrac{n}{A_{n-1}}\delta(\lvert{\boldsymbol{x}}\rvert^n-R^n)##

where ##A_n=\dfrac{2\pi^{(n+1)/2}}{\Gamma((n+1)/2)}## is the area of an n-dimensional unit sphere on ##\mathbb{R}^{n+1}##

and have to prove that

## \int p(\boldsymbol{x})\mathrm{d}\boldsymbol{x}=1##

My professor told me there is some sort of trick to solving the problem. I figure I have to somehow match the dimensions of this one-dimensional dirac delta function to those of the integral over #\mathbb{R}^n#, but I'm not really sure how to approach this. I've been trying multiple ways of manipulating the dirac delta function, but I'm pretty stumped.

##\boldsymbol{3.}## It's fairly obvious that we have

##\int p(\boldsymbol{x})\mathrm{d}\boldsymbol{x}=\dfrac{n}{A_{n-1}}\int_{x_n}...\int_{x_2}\int_{x_1}\delta((x_1^2+x_2^2+...+x_n^2)^{n/2}-R^n)\mathrm{d}x_1\mathrm{d}x_2...\mathrm{d}x_n##

but I am not sure where to go from here

Physics news on Phys.org
So to do this, I would have to develop a general expression for the n-dimensional Jacobian?

Yeah, pretty much. Check out that Wikipedia page.

Okay, I think that might be all the direction I needed! Thanks. I am running through some calculations and will update soon.

Okay, so I now have the integral

##\int_{\mathrm{d}^nV}\delta(r^n-R^n)\mathrm{d}^nV=\int_{\phi_{n-1}=0}^{2\pi}...\int_{\phi_1=0}^{\pi}\int_{r=0}^{R}\delta(r^n-R^n)r^{n-1}\sin^{n-2}(\phi_1)...\sin(\phi_{n-2})\mathrm{d}r\mathrm{d}\phi_1...\mathrm{d}\phi_{n-1}##

I know I am really close. What is the trick to manipulating the ##\delta(r^n-R^n)## term here? I am not sure how to deal with the power of ##n## on ##r##.

Edit: I have figured out my problem. I need to use the equation for manipulating a delta function with only one root. All the rest are imaginary. Thanks for the help.

Last edited:
Okay, so now that I've done this. How would I go about calculating the marginal probability of one of the events ##X_j##? I know that typically for a marginal probability, we integrate as such:

##p_X(x)=\int{-\infty}^{\infty}p_{X,Y}(x,y)\mathrm{d}x\mathrm{d}y##

So clearly, I have to extend this integral to the case of an n-dimensional random vector, in which case I integrate over every component of ##\boldsymbol{X}## other than some component ##X_j##. How do I accomplish this in spherical coordinates though? If that's not the right question, then maybe the right question is how to handle this very peculiar delta function in Cartesian coordinates?

I've been thinking about the problem, and am only getting more confused. Once again, I don't have a math background so I'm not sure if there are some analogues between lower dimensional space and n-space that might help me gain some intuition about this problem.

Related to Probability distribution, a 1-D dirac delta in n-dimensions

1. What is a probability distribution?

A probability distribution is a mathematical function that describes the likelihood of a random variable taking on different values. It can be represented graphically as a curve or a histogram.

2. What is a 1-D Dirac delta?

A 1-D Dirac delta is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely tall and narrow spike at a specific point on the real number line. It is often used in probability theory to model the probability of a continuous variable taking on a specific value.

3. How is a 1-D Dirac delta different from a regular probability distribution?

A regular probability distribution assigns probabilities to a range of values, while a 1-D Dirac delta assigns a probability of 1 to a single point. This means that the random variable has a 100% chance of taking on that specific value.

4. How is a 1-D Dirac delta used in n-dimensions?

In n-dimensions, a 1-D Dirac delta can be used to represent a probability distribution for a multivariate random variable. It can be thought of as a point in n-dimensional space with a probability of 1, while all other points have a probability of 0.

5. What are the applications of a 1-D Dirac delta in real-world scenarios?

A 1-D Dirac delta can be used in various fields such as physics, engineering, and finance to model and analyze continuous variables with a high level of precision. It is also used in signal processing and image processing to represent sharp spikes or impulses in a signal or image.