Printing 1 Million Digits of Pi: 1 Mile of Paper!

In summary, the conversation discusses a video showcasing one million digits of pi printed on a mile long piece of paper. While some find it interesting, others consider it a waste of time and paper. Some mathematicians are able to recite all the digits of pi, but they are working on memorizing them in order. The conversation also briefly mentions the traffic congestion in the video's parking lot.
PFuser1232

One million digits of pi, printed out on a mile long piece of paper.

What do you think?

Likes jedishrfu
Physics news on Phys.org
Cool video!

They've gone where few have tread before or I'd walk a mile for PI . The sequel will be PI in the sky.

Last edited:
Likes PFuser1232
It is not important to know one million digits of ##\pi##. We only need to know a few of the digits in the calculation. However, the video is interesting.

Interesting video. But the waste of paper really is painful to me.

Likes PFuser1232
I think people who remember more than a few digits should use their memory for something more useful.

Blackberg said:
I think people who remember more than a few digits should use their memory for something more useful.
I happen to know some mathematicians who know all the digits of pi!
They said they need to work on their order though.

Likes Abtinnn, Mhorton91, wabbit and 4 others
I think it's a huge waste of time and paper but since it lead to montahar's humorous comment, I'll let it pass this time but if they cut down any more trees for such inanity, I'm going send them a harsh letter.

It is a waste of paper.
Only 8 ml of ink though!

montadhar said:
I happen to know some mathematicians who know all the digits of pi!
They said they need to work on their order though.
that's what I said to my algebra professor :D

Who's with me here? What's more impressive in this video, the mile of paper with 1 million digits of Pi computed on it? Or is it the impossible congestion density of that parking lot they show in the first 30 seconds? There must be close to a million cars there.:eek:

DiracPool said:
Who's with me here? What's more impressive in this video, the mile of paper with 1 million digits of Pi computed on it? Or is it the impossible congestion density of that parking lot they show in the first 30 seconds? There must be close to a million cars there.:eek:
You must not have ever parked in a long-term lot at a major American airport. They all look like that.

Related to Printing 1 Million Digits of Pi: 1 Mile of Paper!

What is the purpose of printing 1 million digits of Pi on 1 mile of paper?

The purpose of this project is to demonstrate the vastness and complexity of the number Pi. By printing a million digits and stretching it out for 1 mile, it helps people visualize just how many numbers are contained within this infinitely long and non-repeating decimal.

How long will it take to print 1 million digits of Pi on 1 mile of paper?

The exact time it takes to print 1 million digits of Pi on 1 mile of paper will depend on the printing speed and type of printer used. However, it will likely take several hours or even days to complete.

What is the significance of using 1 mile of paper for this project?

Using 1 mile of paper represents the enormity of Pi and helps people understand just how many digits are involved. It also adds a visual element to the project, making it more interesting and memorable.

What is the current record for printing the most digits of Pi on paper?

The current record for printing the most digits of Pi on paper is held by Chao Lu from China, who printed 67,890 digits on a single sheet of paper in 2015.

Is it possible to print an infinite number of digits of Pi on paper?

No, it is not possible to print an infinite number of digits of Pi on paper since Pi is an irrational number and has an infinite number of digits. However, with advances in technology and larger printing materials, it is possible to print more and more digits as a demonstration of the number's endlessness.