Principles to Real and Complex and Functional

In summary, the speaker is currently reading Rudin's principles and enjoys the terseness of the material. They also mention finding motivation in doing the exercises themselves. However, they have heard negative reviews about the later chapters and express concerns about missing important material. They ask if supplementing with Rudin's other books on Real and Complex and Functional analysis would be sufficient. Another option suggested is Zorich's two volumes, known for being concise, comprehensive and well-written.
SrVishi
I'm reading Rudin's principles and so far I really like it. I find charm I'm his terseness, and I think having that motivation to do a lot of the stuff myself makes it pretty fun (like only using the outline of the Dedekind cuts section and prove all the steps myself). However, I have heard not so good things about his later chapters. I can stand having terse material, and even things left as exercises, but I don't like having things ommitted, as long as they are there I'm fine. But I know the stuff in later chapters is really important. Instead of using many other books which I might not have access to to supplement his later chapters (like 9 to 11), do you think I could get the "rest filled in" by going into his Real and Complex and Functional analysis book afterwards if it more sufficiently covers that? If not, I would appreciate if you guys knew what would be good supplementary material for these chapters? Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Principles to Real and Complex and Functional

1. What is the difference between real and complex principles?

The main difference is that real principles deal with numbers and quantities that can be measured and expressed on a number line, while complex principles involve numbers that cannot be represented on a number line, including imaginary numbers.

2. How are complex principles used in science and engineering?

Complex principles are used in many fields of science and engineering, including quantum mechanics, electromagnetism, and signal processing. They are particularly useful in describing systems with multiple variables and interactions, and in solving differential equations.

3. What is the significance of functional principles?

Functional principles are essential in understanding how systems and processes work and how they can be optimized. They involve studying the relationships between inputs and outputs and how they are affected by various factors. Functional principles are widely used in fields such as economics, biology, and computer science.

4. How do these principles apply to real-world problems?

Real and complex principles are the foundation of many scientific and engineering disciplines and are used to solve a wide range of real-world problems. They provide a framework for understanding and analyzing complex systems and processes, and their applications range from designing efficient electrical circuits to predicting the behavior of financial markets.

5. Are these principles applicable in everyday life?

Yes, these principles are applicable in everyday life, even if we are not aware of it. For example, understanding real and complex numbers can help us make better financial decisions, and functional principles can help us optimize our time and resources for various tasks. These principles are also fundamental in technology and innovation that we use in our daily lives, such as smartphones and GPS navigation systems.