Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin

In summary, "Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin" is a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of mathematical analysis. It is not recommended for beginners, but is better suited for students who have already taken a basic course in mathematical analysis. This book stands out for its concise and elegant presentation, emphasis on critical thinking, and wide range of topics covered. A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and basic proof techniques is highly recommended as prerequisites for studying this book. While self-study is possible, it is best used as a supplement to a formal course or as a reference for advanced students and researchers.
Shaji D R
I want to discuss about Chapter 8, equation 43 for any real number α(alpha)

The author tells "The continuity and monotonocity of E and L show that this definition
leads to the same result as the previously suggested one".(i.e.,Equ 33)

But I think properties of L is not required for the proof and proof is the same as the proof
for equivalence of equ 34 and 35.

I would like to get an expert comment on this.

Physics news on Phys.org
Nobody replied to my query. Any way I will put my proof which doesn't use the properties of L. But I think the
proof must be wrong.

Fix any real k > 1.
f(x) = sup( k raised to y) (y rational , y<x)
g(x) = E(xL(k))
Now we have to prove that f(x) = g(x) for any real x.
For rational x, we agree that f(x) = g(x).

Now suppose f(x) < g(x). Because of continuity and monotonicity of g(x) (in x) we can find a d such that f(x) < g(p) < g(x) for any p in x-d < p < x. Now pick any rational p then f(x) < g(p) = f(p) < g(x) which is impossible since f(x) is an upper bound and hence f(x) > f(p).

Now suppose g(x) < f(x). Now we can find rational p < x such that g(x) < f(p) < f(x).
But then f(p) = g(p) > g(x) which is impossible since g is monotonically increasing function.

Here I didn’t use any monotonicity and continuity of L!

Is my proof correct? Please help me

Shaji D R said:
I want to discuss about Chapter 8, equation 43 for any real number α(alpha)

The author tells "The continuity and monotonocity of E and L show that this definition
leads to the same result as the previously suggested one".(i.e.,Equ 33)

But I think properties of L is not required for the proof and proof is the same as the proof
for equivalence of equ 34 and 35.

I would like to get an expert comment on this.
We need more information if you want us to help you. Not all of us want to pull out our copy of Rudin just to look for your problem.

But how to provide more information? I have soft copy of the book but its size is 12MB, so I cannot upload it.
Maybe I will have to purchase a pdf editor?

Please go to page no:181.

I have so many comploicated questions in the book. I am confused how to ask it.

Shaji D R said:
But how to provide more information? I have soft copy of the book but its size is 12MB, so I cannot upload it.
Maybe I will have to purchase a pdf editor?

Please go to page no:181.

I have so many comploicated questions in the book. I am confused how to ask it.
Giving context is a good start. What are ##E## and ##L##?

E&L

E is defined by equation 25 chapter 8 page no 178
i.e., E(z) = Sigma(n=0 to INF)( (z raised to n)/(n!))
and L is inverse of that.Why the inverse exists, why E(z) is continuous and monotonically increasing like that are proved in the book.

Finally the author defines x raised to y as E(yL(x)) for all real x and y.

What I want to prove is that this is equivalent to x raised to y = sup (x raised to r)(r rational, r < y) for x > 1. But the author tells monotonicity and continuity of L is required for the proof, which I didn't use in the proof I gave.

Please go through the book. Now I am struggling with Theorem 8.14. I will post the query as a
separate question.

Shaji is right, without more info, nobody will pull out the book and answer you. And it helps if you know how to typeset in LaTeX, it took me quite a while to understand your E and L.

I know ehere the continuity is needed, inyour statement, you said
"Now suppose g(x) < f(x). Now we can find rational p < x such that g(x) < f(p) < f(x). "

That is the "Intermediate Value Theorem" that requires continuity.

No. We are not using continuity of any function here. If there is no rational p < x with g(x) < f(p) < f(x), then
f(x) is not the supremum. supremum will be < or = g(x).Note that f(x) is defined as f(x) = sup( k raised to y) (y rational , y<x)(k>1).

Also continuity of L(k) is the issue. In the proof we keep k as a constant. Note that g(x) = E(xL(k)).
Also here we consider the case k > 1 only.

If you have the book and would otherwise willingly spend probably several minutes to write an answer, why would you refuse to take the extra 30 seconds to find eq.43 in Chapter 8?

If you wanted the OP to show more work, that's another thing of course.

I am asking the question honestly.

Equ.43 is proved for any rational number and taken as definition for any real number and author claims that
the definition is equivalent to equ.33 chapter 8(which is another definition). Author claims continuity and
monotonicity of L is required for the proof of equivalence which I dispute.

Questions from textbooks should be posted in the Homework & Coursework section, not in this section. When you post a problem, include the theorem that you are trying to prove and the work you have done. Not all of us have a copy of Rudin, so references to specific problems are meaningless to us.

I am closing this thread.

Likes 1 person

Related to Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin

1. What is the main focus of "Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin"?

The main focus of "Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin" is to provide a rigorous and comprehensive introduction to the fundamental concepts and principles of mathematical analysis.

2. Is this book suitable for beginners in mathematical analysis?

While "Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin" is a classic text in the field, it is not recommended for beginners due to its advanced level of mathematical rigor and abstract approach. It is better suited for students who have already taken a basic course in mathematical analysis and are looking for a more in-depth understanding.

3. How does this book differ from other textbooks on mathematical analysis?

This book stands out for its concise and elegant presentation of the material, as well as its emphasis on developing students' ability to think critically and creatively about mathematical concepts. It also covers a wide range of topics in analysis, making it a comprehensive reference for advanced students and researchers.

4. Are there any prerequisites for studying "Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin"?

A strong foundation in calculus, linear algebra, and basic proof techniques is highly recommended for studying this book. It is also helpful to have some exposure to more advanced topics in mathematics, such as real analysis and abstract algebra.

5. Is "Principles Of Mathematical Analysis-Walter Rudin" a good resource for self-study?

While self-study with this book is possible, it is not recommended as it is a challenging text with limited examples and exercises. It is best used as a supplement to a formal course or as a reference for advanced students and researchers in mathematics.