Understanding Measure Theory with Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis

In summary: However, the set of all rational numbers is not an elementary set.In summary, Rudin discusses the family of elementary subsets of $R^p$, which is a ring but not a $\sigma$-ring. This means that the family is closed under finite unions and relative complements, but not under countable unions and intersections. Elementary sets are defined as finite unions of rectangles, but they are not closed under countable operations. This is because the whole plane can be formed from countable unions of finite rectangles, and the set of rational numbers inside a segment and a circle can be formed using countable operations, but it is not an elementary set.
OhMyMarkov
Hello everyone, I needed to know more about measure theory so I'm reading in Rudin's Principle's of Mathematical Analysis, somewhere in the chapter, he says:

We let E denote the family of all elementary subsets of $R^p$... E is a ring, but not a $\sigma$-ring.

According to my understanding of what a $\sigma$-ring is, it is the union of infinitely many sets $A_i$, each belongs to this ring. In "slang" mathematical terms, given any subset in $R^p$, we can describe it as the union of infinitely many subsets in $R^p$.

Any help is appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
How are elementary subsets defined?

OhMyMarkov said:
According to my understanding of what a $\sigma$-ring is, it is the union of infinitely many sets $A_i$, each belongs to this ring.
First, you probably mean the family of such unions. Each union is a subset of the universal set, while a $\sigma$-ring is a family of subsets of the universal set. Second, you are describing a $\sigma$-ring generated by a ring. The standard definition just says that $\sigma$-ring is closed under countable unions.

OhMyMarkov said:
In "slang" mathematical terms, given any subset in $R^p$, we can describe it as the union of infinitely many subsets in $R^p$.
This is too "slang" and does not give much information. You need to specify which subsets are representable as countable unions and which subsets participate in the union. Of course, any subset is the union of infinitely many copies of itself, or the union of singletons of all its elements.

Finally, what is your question?

girdav said:
How are elementary subsets defined?
I don't know to be honest, it's the first time I come across this term. I tried searching for them too.My question is, why is it a ring, but not a $\sigma$-ring?

OhMyMarkov said:
I don't know to be honest, it's the first time I come across this term. I tried searching for them too.

My question is, why is it a ring, but not a $\sigma$-ring?
So, you are trying to prove something about a concept whose definition you don't know? Not a good idea...

My guess is that elementary sets are finite unions of rectangles. They form a ring because the family of elementary sets are closed under finite union and relative complements. However, they are not closed under countable unions and intersections. For one, the whole plane is a countable union of finite rectangles, but it has infinite area. For another, the set of rational number inside a segment and a circle can be formed from rectangles using countable unions and intersections.

Related to Understanding Measure Theory with Rudin's Principles of Mathematical Analysis

1. What is measure theory and why is it important?

Measure theory is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of measures, which are mathematical functions that assign a numerical value to subsets of a given set. It provides a rigorous framework for understanding and analyzing the concept of size, which is essential in various areas of mathematics, such as analysis, probability, and geometry. It allows for the development of powerful tools and techniques that can be used to solve complex problems in these fields.

2. Who is Rudin and what is his book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" about?

Walter Rudin was an American mathematician who made significant contributions to the fields of real and complex analysis. His book "Principles of Mathematical Analysis" is a classic textbook that provides a rigorous introduction to the fundamental concepts and techniques of mathematical analysis, including measure theory. It is widely used by students and researchers in mathematics and related fields.

3. How does Rudin's book approach the topic of measure theory?

Rudin's book presents measure theory in a clear and concise manner, starting with the basic definitions and properties of measures and measurable sets. It then introduces important concepts such as sigma-algebras, measurable functions, and integration, and discusses their applications in analysis. The book also includes numerous examples, exercises, and proofs that help readers develop a deeper understanding of the subject.

4. Is it necessary to have a strong background in mathematics to understand Rudin's book on measure theory?

While a strong foundation in mathematics, particularly in real analysis, is helpful, Rudin's book can be understood by anyone with a basic understanding of calculus and mathematical proofs. It is designed to be accessible to undergraduate and graduate students, as well as researchers and professionals in mathematics and related fields.

5. How can one use the knowledge gained from studying measure theory with Rudin's book?

The concepts and techniques of measure theory are used in a wide range of fields, including analysis, probability, statistics, and geometry. By studying measure theory with Rudin's book, one can develop a strong foundation for further study and research in these areas. It also provides a solid basis for understanding and using more advanced mathematical tools and theories in various applications.