Principal Ideals and Bezout Domains - (a,b)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Math Amateur
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary, the conversation discusses the definitions of set addition and ideal addition in a commutative ring, and how they relate to each other. The conclusion is that the second definition of set addition is likely the correct one, and it can be extended to define the ideal generated by any finite set of elements in the ring.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
Just a further (very basic!) question:

Is the following argument - working from definitions - correct

Does (a) + (b) = (a,b)?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By definition (Dummit and Foote page 251) [TEX] (a, b) = \{r_1a + r_2b \ | \ r_1, r_2 \in R \} [/TEX]

[Note (a, B) includes the terms [TEX] r_1a [/TEX] and [TEX] r_2b [/TEX] since [TEX] r_1 [/TEX] or [TEX] r_2 [/TEX] can equal 0.]

Also by definition we have [TEX] (a) = \{r_1a \ | \ r_1 \in R \} [/TEX] and [TEX] (b) = \{r_2b \ | \ r_2 \in R \} [/TEX]

Now if by '+' we mean the "addition" (union or putting together) of sets then we have

[TEX] (a) + (b) = \{r_1a, r_2b \ | \ r_1, r_2 \in R \} [/TEX]

so we are missing the 'addition' terms [TEX] r_1a + r_2b [/TEX] of (a, B). But if we take (as we probably should) the '+' to mean the sum of ideals - then the definition is (Dummit and Foote page 247) for ideals X and Y in R

[TEX] X + Y = \{x + y \ | \ x \in X, y \in Y \} [/TEX]

Working, then, with this definition we have

[TEX](a) + (b) = \{ r_1a + r_2b \ | \ r_1, r_2 \in R \} [/TEX] and this is the same as the definition of (a, b) so (a) + (b) = (a, b) from the definitions.

Is this correct?

If the above is correct then seemingly for an ideal generated by the set [TEX] A = \{ a_1, a_2, ... ... a_n \} [/TEX] we have that

[TEX] (a_1, a_2, ... ... a_n) = (a_1) + (a_2) + ... ... (a_n) [/TEX]

Is this correct?

Just another vaguely connected question.

Given a ring R consisting of the elements [TEX] \{a_1, a_2, ... ... a_n \} [/TEX]

do there always (necessarily?) exist ideals [TEX] A_1 = (a_1) , A_2 = (a_2), ... ... A_n = (a_n) [/TEX]

Help with confirming (or otherwise) my reasoning & clarifying the above issues would be much appreciated.

Note that if you agree with my reasoning above then a brief confirmation would be very helpful.

Peter

[Also posted on MHF]

Physics news on Phys.org
A lot to look at here, I'll try to break it down and hope I don't miss anything.

By definition (Dummit and Foote page 251) (a,b)={r1a+r2b | r1,r2∈R}

[Note (a, B) includes the terms r1a and r2b since r1 or r2 can equal 0.]

Also by definition we have (a)={r1a | r1∈R} and (b)={r2b | r2∈R}

Now if by '+' we mean the "addition" (union or putting together) of sets then we have

(a)+(b)={r1a,r2b | r1,r2∈R}

so we are missing the 'addition' terms r1a+r2b of (a, B).But if we take (as we probably should) the '+' to mean the sum of ideals - then the definition is (Dummit and Foote page 247) for ideals X and Y in R

X+Y={x+y | x∈X,y∈Y}

Working, then, with this definition we have

(a)+(b)={r1a+r2b | r1,r2∈R} and this is the same as the definition of (a, b) so (a) + (b) = (a, b) from the definitions.

I have no idea what you mean by this bit:

(a)+(b)={r1a,r2b | r1,r2∈R}

so we are missing the 'addition' terms r1a+r2b of (a, B).

But outside of that, your reasoning seems correct here. I guess that means that your second definition of set addition is the correct one. I assume that our discussion is limited then to commutative rings; otherwise, you would have to extend the definition of the ideal to include right-multiplication.

You can proceed to extend that definition (for finitely many elements) by induction, using the fact that the sum of any two ideals is an ideal.

Any element in a ring can be used to generate an ideal, but that ideal need not be proper. In fact, I'm fairly sure that the ideal generated by a will be R itself (not proper) iff a has a multiplicative inverse in R.

Related to Principal Ideals and Bezout Domains - (a,b)

1. What is a principal ideal?

A principal ideal is an ideal in a ring that is generated by a single element. It is denoted by (a) and contains all elements that can be obtained by multiplying a with any element in the ring.

2. What is a Bezout domain?

A Bezout domain is a commutative ring in which every finitely generated ideal is principal. This means that any two elements in the ring have a greatest common divisor, or a common multiple that can generate all other multiples of those elements in the ring.

3. What is the significance of principal ideals and Bezout domains?

Principal ideals and Bezout domains have many applications in the study of algebra and number theory. They are used to prove theorems and solve problems related to factorization, divisibility, and Euclidean algorithms. They also have important implications in coding theory and cryptography.

4. How are principal ideals and Bezout domains related?

In a Bezout domain, every ideal is finitely generated, which means that every ideal is principal. This implies that every element in the ring can be expressed as a product of a finite number of generators. Therefore, a Bezout domain is a special type of ring in which every ideal is a principal ideal.

5. Can a non-principal ideal exist in a Bezout domain?

No, a non-principal ideal cannot exist in a Bezout domain. By definition, every ideal in a Bezout domain is finitely generated and therefore, principal. If an ideal is not principal, it cannot be generated by a single element, and thus, it cannot exist in a Bezout domain.