Principal branch of the logarithm

In summary, the conversation includes a discussion about defining an analytic branch f(z) of w, and determining f(1) using the equation w=\frac{z+i}{z-i}. It was mentioned that there was a typo in the original post, and the correct equation is w=log(\frac{z+i}{z-i}). The conversation also touched on the relationship between the branch cut of the logarithm and the branches of the logarithm, and it was determined that f(1)=exp(iPi/2) based on the location of i in the complex plane.
mxmt

Homework Statement

Define an analytic branch f(z) of w, such that f(z)=0 for the limit of z->[itex]\infty[/itex]

Now what is f(1)?

Homework Equations

[itex]w=\frac{z+i}{z-i}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The branch cut of the logarithm is: [itex](-\infty,0)[/itex]
All branches of the logarithm are:
f(z)=Log(z)+iArg(z)=Log(z)+2i[itex]\pi[/itex]k

But then f(1)=0, which is wrong.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
There was a typo in my first post:

mxmt said:
[itex]w=\frac{z+i}{z-i}[/itex]

Of course this should be [itex]w=log(\frac{z+i}{z-i})[/itex]

Anybody who understands it now?

A guess is that the line segment of z=(i,-i) is mapped onto the normal branch cut of the logarithm (-inf,0). Therefore, f(1)=exp(iPi/2) because this is where i is located in the complex plane.

Related to Principal branch of the logarithm

What is the principal branch of the logarithm?

The principal branch of the logarithm is a mathematical concept that refers to the logarithmic function with a specific range of outputs. It is often denoted as Log(z) and is defined as the inverse of the exponential function e^z. The principal branch of the logarithm is commonly used in complex analysis and has important applications in various fields of science and mathematics.

How is the principal branch of the logarithm different from other branches?

The principal branch of the logarithm is different from other branches because it is defined in a specific range of outputs, which is the negative real numbers. Other branches of the logarithm, such as the complex logarithm, have different ranges and therefore produce different outputs for the same input. The principal branch is considered the "main" or "standard" branch of the logarithm, and it is the one typically used in mathematical and scientific calculations.

What is the domain and range of the principal branch of the logarithm?

The domain of the principal branch of the logarithm is the set of all negative real numbers, denoted as R-. This means that the input of the function must be a negative real number for the output to be defined. The range of the principal branch is the set of all complex numbers, denoted as C. Therefore, the output of the function can be any complex number, including real and imaginary numbers.

Why is the principal branch of the logarithm important in complex analysis?

The principal branch of the logarithm is important in complex analysis because it allows for the calculation of complex logarithms, which have important applications in the field. It also helps in solving complex equations involving exponential and logarithmic functions. Furthermore, the principal branch is used to define other important functions in complex analysis, such as the complex power function and the complex exponential function.

How is the principal branch of the logarithm used in other fields of science?

The principal branch of the logarithm has various applications in other fields of science, such as physics, engineering, and economics. In physics, it is used to calculate the decibel scale, which measures the intensity of sound and seismic activity. In engineering, it is used in signal processing and control systems. In economics, it is used to calculate compound interest and growth rates. Overall, the principal branch of the logarithm is a fundamental concept that is essential in many areas of science and mathematics.