Primitives, Proof based on theorems for differentiation

In summary: Doesn't that make the proof, not 100% rigurous?Regards,Yes, that is correct. To prove it, you can use the Fundamental Theorem of Calculus, which states that if ##f## is continuous on an interval ##[a,b]##, then##\int_a^b f(x) \, dx = F(b) - F(a)##where ##F## is any antiderivative of ##f##. In this case, we have##\int_0^x 3x^2 + 2x \, dx = (x^3 + x^2 + C) \biggr|_{a=0}^b = (
c.teixeira
Hi there!

If one would want to prove that the indefined integral :

[itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex].

Would this be apropriate:

A(x) = [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex];
B(x) = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex];
C(x) = [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex].

And since the primitive of a fuction is another fuction whose derivative is the original fuction:

A'(x) = f(x) + g(x);
B'(x) + C'(x) = (B + C)'(x) = f(x) + g(x).

What would imply bt the Mean Value Theorem: A(x) = B(x) + C(x) + K.

Is this a approiate proof?

If so, who do we know that k = 0? Since there is no K in " [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex]."

Regards,

Physics news on Phys.org
c.teixeira said:
If so, who do we know that k = 0?

k is not zero in general. The correct form is to define ##A(x) + k_A = \int [ f(x)+g(x) ] dx## for some constant ##k_A##. Similarly ##k_B## and ##k_C##, when you differentiate the constants vanish. You want to show ##k_A = k_B + k_C##.

pwsnafu said:
k is not zero in general. The correct form is to define ##A(x) + k_A = \int [ f(x)+g(x) ] dx## for some constant ##k_A##. Similarly ##k_B## and ##k_C##, when you differentiate the constants vanish. You want to show ##k_A = k_B + k_C##.

So, how can I prove that? And why would I want to show that? (##k_A = k_B + k_C##)

I don't understand. If my explnation is correct, and K is generally not 0, as you said, wouldn't that make [itex]\int[f(x) + g(x) dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex] + K instead?

What I undersandt from the above expression, is that, that is valid for any constant K, being it 0, or not. So basically, the k doen'st do much diference, wether it is 0 or otherwise. Am I right or wrong?

Thank you,

Also,

I believe that making A(x) + K[itex]_{A}[/itex] = [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex], and then showing that K[itex]_{A}[/itex] = K[itex]_{B}[/itex] + K[itex]_{C}[/itex], is the same thing as defining A(x) = [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex], and then showing that K = 0.

Spivak says that concer for this Constants is merely an annoyance, but not knowing exactly why [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex], without the C for constant is bothering me.

Regards,

c.teixeira said:
Spivak says that concer for this Constants is merely an annoyance,

Introductory texts trivialise this because students are not interested in technicalities. But its not a mere annoyance. Consider two variables then ##\int f(x,y) \, dx = F(x,y) + g(y)## for some non-constant function g. So its not trivial.

Here's the run down: the derivative is a linear operator ##D : C^1(U) \rightarrow \mathbb{R}^U## for some open set ##U \subset \mathbb{R}##. However it is not injective because if two functions differ by a constant they have the same derivative. It is not surjective because there are some functions which can never be integrated.

Let ##I(U)## be the set of integrable functions on ##U##. I'm not going to explain what this space looks like, just accept it exists. The indefinite integral is then an operator ##\int \, \cdot \, dx : I(U) \rightarrow C^1(U)/\sim## where the equivalence relation is given by ##f = g \iff f - g## is constant over ##U##.

In this space ##A = A + k## for any constant k, so notice that equality in this space is not the same equality you were working with. If you have done modulo arithmetic, this is easy: you are working with modulo constants. Then the proof is trivial, because any constant is equivalent to zero:
##k_A = k_B + k_C = 0 \mod \text{const}##

Last edited:
c.teixeira said:
Hi there!

If one would want to prove that the indefined integral :

[itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex].

Would this be apropriate:

A(x) = [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex];
B(x) = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex];
C(x) = [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex].

And since the primitive of a fuction is another fuction whose derivative is the original fuction:

A'(x) = f(x) + g(x);
B'(x) + C'(x) = (B + C)'(x) = f(x) + g(x).

What would imply bt the Mean Value Theorem: A(x) = B(x) + C(x) + K.

Is this a approiate proof?

If so, who do we know that k = 0? Since there is no K in " [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex]."

Regards,
Yes, there is a "k" in [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex]. In fact, there is a "constant of integration" in each of the three integrals in that equation.

HallsofIvy said:
Yes, there is a "k" in [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex]. In fact, there is a "constant of integration" in each of the three integrals in that equation.

So, my little "proof", is correct, and "rigorously" we should have [itex]\int[f(x)+g(x)]dx[/itex] = [itex]\int f(x)dx[/itex] + [itex]\int g(x)dx[/itex] + C?
Altough, the Constant C doesn't do any difference as a consequece to definite integrals.

So, I can think that Spivak didn't write the C, because of this non-consequece to definite integrals, and because of him stating 1 page earlier in the book that Constants where merely an annoyance?

No, you don't need the "C". The constant of integration is already in each of the integrals. When you write [itex]\int 3x^2 dx= x^3+ C[/itex] you do not need "C" on the left because it is part of the integral. You do need it on the right because there is no longer an integral.

HallsofIvy said:
No, you don't need the "C". The constant of integration is already in each of the integrals. When you write [itex]\int 3x^2 dx= x^3+ C[/itex] you do not need "C" on the left because it is part of the integral. You do need it on the right because there is no longer an integral.

Let:

f(x) = 3x[itex]^{2}[/itex];
g(x) = 2x;

[itex]\int[3x^{2} + 2x] dx[/itex] = x[itex]^{3}[/itex] +x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + C[itex]_{1}[/itex],
[itex]\int3x^{2}dx[/itex] = x[itex]^{3}[/itex] + C[itex]_{2}[/itex],
[itex]\int2xdx[/itex] = x[itex]^{2}[/itex] + C[itex]_{3}[/itex]

Then, [itex]\int[3x^{2} + 2x] dx[/itex] = [itex]\int3x^{2}dx[/itex] + [itex]\int2xdx[/itex] only if C[itex]_{1}[/itex] = C[itex]_{2}[/itex] + C [itex]_{3}[/itex], right?

So how exacltly do you prove that? Using pwsnafu advice?

Related to Primitives, Proof based on theorems for differentiation

1. What are primitives in mathematics?

Primitives, also known as antiderivatives, are the inverse of derivatives. They are functions that, when differentiated, yield the original function. In other words, they are the functions that "undo" the process of differentiation.

2. How are primitives and differentiation related?

Primitives and differentiation are closely related because they are essentially inverse operations. Differentiation is the process of finding the rate of change of a function, while primitives allow us to find the original function given its rate of change.

3. What is proof by theorems in differentiation?

Proof by theorems in differentiation is a method used to prove the correctness of a solution to a derivative problem. It involves using established theorems and principles of calculus to demonstrate that the solution is accurate.

4. Why is proof by theorems important in differentiation?

Proof by theorems is important in differentiation because it allows us to verify the correctness of our solutions. It ensures that our approach to solving derivative problems is based on sound mathematical principles and not just guesswork.

5. Can proof by theorems be used for all differentiation problems?

Proof by theorems can be used for most differentiation problems, but there may be some cases where it is not applicable. In general, it is a reliable method for proving the correctness of derivative solutions, but it may not be necessary for simpler problems.