Primate Brain Synapse Counts - Comparing Humans & Chimps

• Thread starter Dr Wu
  • Start date
In summary, the number of synapses in a human brain is significantly greater than the number of synapses in a chimp's brain.
Dr Wu
Hi

According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 140 trillion synapses in an average human adult brain. So I would be interested to know how this number compares with the number of synapses in a chimp's brain.

Many thanks.

Biology news on Phys.org
Dr Wu said:
Hi

According to Wikipedia, there are approximately 140 trillion synapses in an average human adult brain. So I would be interested to know how this number compares with the number of synapses in a chimp's brain.

Many thanks.
I would think Google would be able to help you figure this out (that's what I would use). Have you tried some Google search terms to see where they lead you?

Yes, I did try Google and came upon some deeply technical material on the subject of primate brains, but found nothing (as yet) that answers my simple question. Finally I returned to Wikipedia, which is where I got the above figure for human beings. But here too, as is evident via the link below, the Wiki info concerning synapse distribution in other primates is non-existent. . . although good on cats and fruit flies! I will continue my search online. It just strikes me as faintly odd that information of this kind isn't readily available. Chimps, bonobos, gorillas etc are our nearest cousins, after all. (Perhaps I should try and email the neuroscientist, David Eagleman!)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_animals_by_number_of_neurons

I don't know if this helps, its mainly about development but includes some estimates. The idea of the number of synapses doesn't really make sense, there isn't any fixed number, plasticity in the brain means it is constantly remodeling its connections. We have a bigger brain, with more neurons which interact differently. The fact that the brain doesn't really operate as single neurons interacting, everything the brain does involves complex networks involving most areas, there are differences in the way these networks operate in humans and chimps. Its also worth remembering that the synapse is not the only mechanism that influences the target cells action potential.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5110243/

Likes Dr Wu and BillTre

1. How do the brain synapse counts of humans and chimps compare?

The brain synapse counts of humans and chimps are very similar. In fact, studies have shown that the average human brain contains around 100 trillion synapses, while the average chimp brain contains around 70 trillion synapses. This means that although there is a slight difference in the number of synapses, the overall structure and function of the brain is very similar between the two species.

2. Why is it important to study the brain synapse counts of primates?

Studying the brain synapse counts of primates, specifically humans and chimps, can provide valuable insight into the evolution and development of the human brain. By comparing the brain structures and functions of different primates, we can better understand the unique cognitive abilities of humans and how they have evolved over time.

3. How do scientists measure brain synapse counts?

Scientists use a variety of techniques to measure brain synapse counts, including electron microscopy, immunohistochemistry, and stereology. These methods involve staining and imaging brain tissue samples to identify and count the number of synapses present.

4. Do humans have more brain synapses than other animals?

It is difficult to compare brain synapse counts between humans and other animals because each species has a unique brain structure and function. However, studies have shown that humans have a higher synapse density in certain areas of the brain, which may contribute to our advanced cognitive abilities.

5. Can brain synapse counts change over time?

Yes, brain synapse counts can change over time. In fact, studies have shown that the number of synapses in the brain can increase or decrease in response to environmental stimuli and experiences. This process, known as synaptic plasticity, is essential for learning and memory formation.