Pressure on a submarine window

In summary, the research submarine has a 20cm diameter window that is 8cm thick and can withstand forces up to 10^6N. Using the equations P = P(atmosphere) + ρ*g*h, it was determined that the maximum safe depth for the submarine is approximately 3153m, taking into account the internal pressure of 1 atm and the density of seawater.
baddin
1. A research submarine has a 20cm diameter window, 8cm thick. The manufacturer says the window can withstand forces up to 10^6N. What is the submarine's maximum safe depth? The pressure inside the submarine is maintained at 1atm.

2. Homework Equations P = P(atmosphere) + ρ*g*h

3. I tried finding the pressure on the window, using P = F/A and got the maximum pressure the submarine window can handle as P = 10^6/(pi*(0.1)^2) = 3.18*10^7 Pa.
I then used P = P(atmosphere) + ρ*g*h
and substitued, P as 3.18*10^7, P(atmosphere) as 101,300, ρ(used density of seawater) as 1030, g as 9.8 and found h to be approximately 3140m.
The solutions found h to be 3153m.
I don't know where I have gone wrong...

Physics news on Phys.org
Did you take into account that the internal pressure is 1 atm?

Likes 1 person
Thanks I didn't consider it before but thinking about it in force perspective so it made more sense. I did Net force = Force ourtside window - Force inside window. Therefore 10^6 = Fout - Fin. Then Fout = P(outside)*A and Fin = P(inside)*A. 10^6/A = P(outside) - P(inside). 10^6/A = ρ*g*h + P(atmosphere) - P(inside submarine). Now P(atmosphere) = 1atm=P(inside submarine), ρ.=1030 Therefore 10^6/A = ρ*g*h.
Then I h to be (10^6)/(pi*(0.1^2)*9.8*1030) = 3153m.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH!

1. What is the purpose of a submarine window and why does it need to withstand pressure?

Submarine windows, also known as portholes or viewports, serve as a means for allowing light to enter the submarine and for the crew to see outside. These windows need to withstand pressure because as the submarine dives deeper into the ocean, the surrounding water exerts immense pressure on the hull, which can cause the window to break if not properly designed.

2. How much pressure can a submarine window withstand?

The amount of pressure a submarine window can withstand depends on its size, shape, and the materials used in its construction. Generally, submarine windows are designed to withstand pressures of up to 60 pounds per square inch (psi), which is equivalent to about 4,000 meters (13,000 feet) of depth.

3. What happens if a submarine window breaks under pressure?

If a submarine window breaks under pressure, it can cause catastrophic damage to the submarine and put the lives of the crew at risk. The sudden release of pressure can cause the water to rush into the submarine, leading to flooding and potential sinking. In addition, the broken glass or debris can injure crew members and damage equipment.

4. How are submarine windows designed to withstand pressure?

Submarine windows are typically made of specialized materials such as thick acrylic or borosilicate glass that can withstand high pressures. The shape and size of the window are also important factors in its ability to withstand pressure. To further strengthen the window, it may be reinforced with metal frames and secured with multiple bolts to the submarine's hull.

5. Can pressure on a submarine window be controlled?

The pressure on a submarine window is controlled by the depth at which the submarine is operating. As the submarine descends into deeper waters, the pressure on the window increases. However, the submarine is equipped with systems that can regulate the internal pressure to match the external pressure, which helps to prevent the window from breaking. Additionally, the submarine's depth is carefully monitored and controlled by the crew to ensure that the pressure on the window stays within safe limits.