Measuring pressure using a manometer.

In summary, the conversation discussed a problem involving the measurement of gas pressure using a mercury manometer. A calculation was made using relevant equations and given data, resulting in a pressure of 144.75kPa. The solution was found to be correct, with the discrepancy being due to a typo in the answer key. The conversation concluded with the acknowledgement of the mistake and the importance of not spending too much time on minor errors.
baddin
Problem:
1. The pressure of a gas cell is measured with a mercurcy manometer. The mercury is 32.6 cm higher in the outside arm than in the arm connected to the gas cell. Calculate the gas pressure.

Relevant equations/given data
2. p(Pressure at depth h) = p(Pressure of atmosphere) + ρ(Density of liquid)*g(Gravitionational acceleration)*h
Pressure of atmosphere = 1atm = 101,300Pa. Density of mercury = 13,600kg/m^3

Attempted solution
3. p(gas) = p(Pressure of atmosphere) + ρ(Density of liquid)*g(Gravitionational acceleration)*h
p(gas) = 101,300 + (13600*9.8*0.326) = 144749.28Pa = 144.75kPa. I have the solution and it says the answer should be 149.5kPa. Have I done something wrong, or is the solution incorrect?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculation is exactly correct. The answer is the book is for a mercury height of 36.2cm. Is there any chance that you misread the problem and got the 6 and 2 backwards? If not, don't spend any more time thinking about it, you know what you are doing and the answer key had a typo.

Dr Peter Vaughan
BASIS Peoria Physics

Oh my! Stupid me! You are right, I misread the 6 and the 2 backwards. That clears it up, thanks for the help! =D

Those are absolutely the most difficult mistakes to find. Fortunately, they are also by far the least important mistakes.

I would first check my calculations to ensure I did not make any errors. I would also double-check the given data and equations to make sure they are correct. If everything appears to be correct, I would then consider the possibility of experimental error or uncertainty in the measurements. It is also possible that the solution provided is incorrect and I would suggest rechecking the calculations or seeking a second opinion from another scientist. Ultimately, it is important to carefully analyze and evaluate all aspects of the experiment and data to ensure accurate and reliable results.

Related to Measuring pressure using a manometer.

1. What is a manometer and how does it measure pressure?

A manometer is a device used to measure pressure, typically in a gas or liquid. It works by comparing the pressure of the substance being measured to a known reference pressure, usually atmospheric pressure. This is done by measuring the height of a column of liquid, such as mercury or water, that is displaced by the pressure of the substance.

2. What types of manometers are commonly used in pressure measurement?

The most commonly used manometers are U-tube, well-type, and inclined-tube manometers. U-tube manometers have a U-shaped tube filled with liquid, while well-type manometers have a reservoir of liquid connected to a tube. Inclined-tube manometers have a tube that is inclined at an angle, allowing for easier measurement of small pressure differences.

3. Can a manometer measure both positive and negative pressure?

Yes, a manometer can measure both positive and negative pressure. In a U-tube manometer, the liquid will rise on one side and fall on the other depending on the pressure being measured. The difference in height between the two sides can then be used to calculate the pressure. In a well-type manometer, the difference in height between the liquid in the reservoir and the liquid in the tube can be used to determine the pressure.

4. How accurate are manometers in measuring pressure?

The accuracy of a manometer depends on several factors, including the quality of the instrument, the type of liquid used, and the skill of the user. In general, manometers are considered to be quite accurate and can measure pressure differences as small as 0.001 inches of water column. However, it is important to calibrate the manometer regularly and follow proper measurement techniques to ensure accurate results.

5. What are some common applications of manometers?

Manometers have a wide range of applications, including measuring gas and liquid pressure in industrial and laboratory settings, monitoring air and water flow in HVAC systems, and measuring blood pressure in medical settings. They are also commonly used in weather instruments, such as barometers, to measure atmospheric pressure and predict weather patterns.