Pressure of liquid given radius, help please

In summary, the conversation is about finding the pressure at a certain radius within a test tube filled with water being spun in an ultracentrifuge. By setting up an integral and finding the net force on an infinitesimal slice of fluid, the expression for pressure at any point along the tube is p = .5(p)(angular velocity)^2(r^(2) -r(o)^2) where p is the density of the water. Gravity and atmospheric pressure are ignored in this calculation.
harlow_barton
A test tube filled with water is being spun around in an ultracentrifuge with angular velocity. The test tube is lying along a radius and the free surface of the water is at radius r(o).

Show that the pressure at radius r within the test tube is:

p = .5(p)(angular velocity)^2(r^(2) -r(o)^2)

where p is the density of the water. Ignore gravity and atmospheric pressure.

p = p - g(density)(height)

gravity or centripetal acceleration, a= r(angular velocity)^2

height or depth of water, h = r- r(o)

this only gets me to p= p + density*r*angular velocity^2(r-r(0))

I'm not sure where the rest comes from!

Physics news on Phys.org
At any depth 'below' the surface, the pressure has to provide enough force to accelerate all the fluid 'above' it. Hint: Set up an integral.

Doc Al, I'm not sure I understand what I should be taking the integral of. Could you explain further?

harlow_barton said:
Doc Al, I'm not sure I understand what I should be taking the integral of. Could you explain further?
Write an expression for the net force on an infinitesimal slice (thickness dr) of the fluid in the tube; then integrate from r(0) to r to find the total force, and then the pressure, at any point along the tube.

First, let's rearrange the equation for pressure: p = p + density*r*angular velocity^2(r-r(0))

We can rewrite this as p = p + density*r*angular velocity^2*r - density*r*angular velocity^2*r(o)

Next, we can factor out the density and angular velocity^2 terms: p = p + density*angular velocity^2*(r^2 - r(o)^2)

This is almost the same as the equation we are trying to prove, but we have an extra density term. To get rid of this, we can use the equation for density: p = m/V, where m is the mass of the water and V is the volume.

We can then substitute this into our equation for pressure: p = (m/V) + density*angular velocity^2*(r^2 - r(o)^2)

Next, we can use the equation for volume of a cylinder (since the test tube is in the shape of a cylinder): V = πr^2h, where h is the height or depth of the water.

Substituting this into our equation for pressure, we get: p = (m/πr^2h) + density*angular velocity^2*(r^2 - r(o)^2)

Now, we can use the equation for centripetal acceleration (a = r*angular velocity^2) to replace the angular velocity^2 term: p = (m/πr^2h) + density*a*r*(r^2 - r(o)^2)

Lastly, we can substitute in our expression for height (h = r - r(o)): p = (m/πr^2(r-r(o))) + density*a*r*(r^2 - r(o)^2)

Simplifying this further, we get: p = (m/πr(r-r(o))) + density*a*(r^2 - r(o)^2)

And finally, using the equation for mass (m = density*volume), we get: p = (.5density*r*angular velocity^2(r^2 - r(o)^2))

Which is the equation we were trying to prove! This shows that the pressure at a given radius within the test tube is directly proportional to the angular velocity squared and the difference in radii (r^2 - r(o)^2).

Related to Pressure of liquid given radius, help please

1. What is the formula for calculating the pressure of a liquid given the radius?

The formula for calculating the pressure of a liquid is P = ρgh, where P is the pressure, ρ is the density of the liquid, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and h is the height of the liquid column.

2. How does the radius affect the pressure of a liquid?

The pressure of a liquid is directly proportional to the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the pressure also increases.

3. What unit is used to measure the pressure of a liquid?

The pressure of a liquid is typically measured in units of pascals (Pa) or newtons per square meter (N/m²).

4. Can the pressure of a liquid be negative?

No, the pressure of a liquid cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as liquids cannot have a suction or vacuum-like effect.

5. How does the height of the liquid column affect the pressure?

The pressure of a liquid is directly proportional to the height of the liquid column. This means that as the height increases, the pressure also increases.