Pressure due to a perpendicular wind

In summary, a wind of speed v acts perpendicularly to a wall. The pressure on the wall due to this wind is v2ρ. To calculate the torque exerted on the wall, integrate the pressure over the area of the wall. The pressure needed to topple a wall with height 2m, thickness 0.3m, and mass 1200kg per metre length is v2ρLh2.
LiamG_G
Sorry to ask another question :/

Homework Statement

Consider the change of momentum.
A wind (of speed v) acts perpendicularly to a wall. Show that the pressure do to this wind acting of the wall is v2ρ, where ρ is air density.

Hence show by suitable integration that the torque about the bottom edge of a vertical surface of height h and width x is given by 0.5v2ρLh2

If a wall has height 2m, thickness 0.3m, mass 1200kg per metre length, what is the wind speed needed to topple this?
Air density = 1.2 kgm-3

The attempt at a solution
Erm...
I think P=F/A will be useful here.
Mass will likely be substituted for ρ*V
But I have no idea where to go :(
Any tips appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi LiamG_G! Welcome to PF! :smile:
LiamG_G said:
Sorry to ask another question :/

why?? that's what everybody's here for! :wink:
Consider the change of momentum.
A wind (of speed v) acts perpendicularly to a wall. Show that the pressure do to this wind acting of the wall is v2ρ, where ρ is air density.

as it says, consider the change of momentum …

how much mass changes its momentum in time t ?

(call the area "A", it'll cancel)

The equations I would think would be useful are ρ=F/A, ρ=m/V, P=mv
ρ= air density, P=momentum
as m=ρV then I can substitute it into momentum giving p=ρVv.
I just don't know what to do. It's most probably frustration blocking something simple.
I'm not even sure how to describe the mass changing momentum with t.
The only thing that comes to mind is:
F=(ΔP)/t, F=ρA=(m/V)A
(m/Ax)A=(ΔP)/t
m=x(ΔP)/t
but then I have no idea what to do with this, and I can't see how it relates :(

Hi LiamG_G! :smile:
LiamG_G said:
I'm not even sure how to describe the mass changing momentum with t.

In time t, a block of air has reduced its speed from v to 0.

What is the area of that block?

What is the length of that block?

And so what is the mass of that block?

And what is the change of momentum of that block? :wink:

tiny-tim said:
What is the area of that block?

What is the length of that block?

And so what is the mass of that block?

And what is the change of momentum of that block?​

What is the area of the block?
Let area=A, representing the section of the wall impacted by the wind.

The length of the block of air would be equal to vt, no? It makes sense that the amount of air hitting the wall is dependent of the speed of the air and the time taken.

The mass would be equal to ρV, which is ρAvt.

So then the momentum change would be v2ρAt

p=F/A, and F=Δm/t so this leads to p=v2ρ
Yay! I think that's it :)

Thank you so much.

Would you be able to help in the second part of the question?
Hence show by suitable integration that the torque about the bottom edge of a vertical surface of height h and width x is given by 0.5v2ρLh2

I would assume that I am to integrate with respect to h, so that the h becomes h2 and that would also bring the 0.5 into the equation. Although I don't see where this initial equation would come from.
All I know for torque is that τ=I*α, with I=moment of inertia, and α=angular acceleration

LiamG_G said:
… So then the momentum change would be v2ρAt

p=F/A, and F=Δm/t so this leads to p=v2ρ
Yay! I think that's it :)

yes :smile:

do you see how that came directly from the definition of force …

force = rate of change of momentum (so impulse = force times time, which of course is good ol' Newton's second law)

a lot of physics is simply using the appropriate basic equation (same with the second part! :wink: …)
I would assume that I am to integrate with respect to h, so that the h becomes h2 and that would also bring the 0.5 into the equation. Although I don't see where this initial equation would come from.
All I know for torque is that τ=I*α, with I=moment of inertia, and α=angular acceleration

yes, it is integration, but since α = 0, it won't be τ=I*α, will it?

it'll be the even more basic τ = Fh …

slice the dam into horizontal slice of thickness dh …

what do you get? :smile:

Of course, thank you :)
We determined before the F=ρAv2
In this situation, A=Lh
Considering a thin strip of height dh we can get to:
τ=v2ρL∫0hhdh
which leads to the equation needed; 0.5v2ρLh2

With the third (and final :P ) part, I can get an equation for F in terms L and h from F=τ/h, leaving me with F=0.5v2ρLh
My first thought was to set this equal to ma, to bring mass, but then this also brings acceleration into the mix, which I think(hope) is not necessary.
My other thought immediately led to ρ being cancelled, but as the question tells to take the density of air as 1.2 kgm-3, cancelling out ρ can't be right.

Frankly, I don't understand the third part of the question …
LiamG_G said:
If a wall has height 2m, thickness 0.3m, mass 1200kg per metre length, what is the wind speed needed to topple this?

… we're not told anything about the foundations of the wall, so how can know the force needed to topple it?

I suppose we could answer it on the basis that the wall has no foundations, and is just balancing there, waiting to be pushed over by any wind capable of tilting it to an angle of 0.3/2 :confused:

Ah sorry, the question states 'a brick wall rests on flat ground' so I think we are supposed to assume that it has no foundations :)

I have the same questions as Liam right now. Both trying to figure them out together over the phone :P

Hi SamQP! :smile:
SamQP said:
Ah sorry, the question states 'a brick wall rests on flat ground' so I think we are supposed to assume that it has no foundations :)

In that case, the basic equation to apply here is simply the (statics) equilibrium equation for torque

there are three forces on the wall:
i] its weight, mg
ii] the wind
iii] the reaction force (also mg) from the ground​

the wall will start to topple (about the front edge of the wall) when the reaction force goes through the front edge of the wall! :wink:

tiny-tim said:
Hi SamQP! :smile:In that case, the basic equation to apply here is simply the (statics) equilibrium equation for torque

there are three forces on the wall:
i] its weight, mg
ii] the wind
iii] the reaction force (also mg) from the ground​

the wall will start to topple (about the front edge of the wall) when the reaction force goes through the front edge of the wall! :wink:

Hi,

I have just come across this problem myself and the final part is confusing me. Do you have any further tips to get me started?

Also, I don't understand why the reaction force would need to go through the front edge of the wall?

Thanks, James

Related to Pressure due to a perpendicular wind

What is pressure due to a perpendicular wind?

Pressure due to a perpendicular wind is the force exerted by a wind blowing at a right angle to a surface. This force can cause changes in air pressure and affect the movement of objects and structures.

How is pressure due to a perpendicular wind measured?

Pressure due to a perpendicular wind is typically measured using a barometer, which is an instrument that measures air pressure. The unit of measurement for air pressure is typically in pascals (Pa) or pounds per square inch (psi).

What factors can affect pressure due to a perpendicular wind?

Some factors that can affect pressure due to a perpendicular wind include the speed and direction of the wind, the density of the air, and the surface area and shape of the object or structure being affected by the wind.

How can pressure due to a perpendicular wind be dangerous?

In extreme cases, pressure due to a perpendicular wind can create strong gusts that can cause damage to buildings, knock over trees, and make it difficult to walk or stand. It can also cause changes in air pressure that can impact weather patterns.

How can pressure due to a perpendicular wind be beneficial?

On a smaller scale, pressure due to a perpendicular wind can be used to generate energy through wind turbines. It can also help with air circulation and ventilation in buildings. Additionally, winds can bring in cooler air, providing relief from hot weather.