Using Bernoulli's Equation to find pressure in a wind tunnel

In summary, a wind tunnel is designed to produce a velocity of 100m/s in the test section by drawing in air from the atmosphere. The fan is located downstream of the test section. Using Bernoulli's equation and the ideal gas law, the density of air is calculated to be 1.24kg/m3. However, when solving for the pressure in the test section, a value of -560kPa is obtained, which is not physically meaningful. This may be due to the unclear definition of the atmospheric pressure provided in the problem.
Tanner Ross

Homework Statement

A wind tunnel is designed to draw in air from the atmosphere and produce a velocity of 100m/s in the test section. THe fan is located downstream of the test section. What pressure is to be expected in the test section if the atmospheric temperature and pressure are -20C, 90kPa?

Homework Equations

Bernoulli's Equation: P1 + 1/2pv2 + pgh1 = P2 + 1/2pv2 + pgh2

p = P/RT

The Attempt at a Solution

I canceled out the heights as it doesn't state a height difference and says the fan is downstream, so assumed its a two dimensional problem. Leaving me with:

P1 + 1/2pv2 = P2 + 1/2pv2

Then I used p = P/RT to find the density of air, which came out to be 1.24kg/m3

Then Isolated P2 = P1 - 1/2pv2, using atmospheric pressure for P1, I solved for the pressure afterwards but it came out to be -560kPa.

Now i know taking the absolute value is acceptable with pressures but this number still seems wrong to me.

Physics news on Phys.org
err, I just tried it again and I must have punched something wrong in my calculator when I squared 100m/s.

Got a value of P2 = 83.8kPa

Tanner Ross said:
Then Isolated P2 = P1 - 1/2pv2, using atmospheric pressure for P1, I solved for the pressure afterwards but it came out to be -560kPa.

Atmospheric pressure is 101.325 kPa. A perfect vacuum is 0 kPa. A pressure of -560 kPa is meaningless.

Now i know taking the absolute value is acceptable with pressures but this number still seems wrong to me.

No, it's not. You also need to establish if your pressure readings are gage or absolute.

Err, we have never discussed gage or absolute pressure in my fluid dynamics class thus far. It is asking what the pressure is as it blows in the wind back into the tunnel from the outside.

Tanner Ross said:
The question was regarding a vacuum suction hose, like a vacuum cleaner. Sorry, didn't specify that part, just typed out the question word for word but didn't realize it didn't mention how the vacuum was being defined as it was defined in the picture.
A perfect vacuum is still 0 kPa absolute or -101.325 kPa gage. These are two bits of data which come in handy when working with fluid flow. :)

SteamKing said:
A perfect vacuum is still 0 kPa absolute or -101.325 kPa gage. These are two bits of data which come in handy when working with fluid flow. :)
The problem statement says that the atmospheric pressure is 90 kPa. That doesn't sound like gauge pressure.

Chet

Sigh, atmospheric pressure at sea level on Earth is generally recognized to be 101.325 kPa at a temperature of 20°C.

An atmospheric pressure of 90 kPa may be present in the problem's test section, which is also at a temperature of -20°C (Brrr! oo)), but this pressure is rather low to be an ambient condition, unless there is a hurricane or other cyclonic storm present... :rolleyes:

SteamKing said:
Sigh, atmospheric pressure at sea level on Earth is generally recognized to be 101.325 kPa at a temperature of 20°C.

An atmospheric pressure of 90 kPa may be present in the problem's test section, which is also at a temperature of -20°C (Brrr! oo)), but this pressure is rather low to be an ambient condition, unless there is a hurricane or other cyclonic storm present... :rolleyes:
Yes. That was also my impression. But, that's what they gave.

Related to Using Bernoulli's Equation to find pressure in a wind tunnel

1. What is Bernoulli's Equation and how is it used in a wind tunnel?

Bernoulli's Equation is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, velocity, and elevation in a moving fluid. In a wind tunnel, it is used to calculate the pressure at different points along the tunnel, which is essential in understanding the aerodynamics of an object.

2. What are the key variables in Bernoulli's Equation and how do they affect pressure in a wind tunnel?

The key variables in Bernoulli's Equation are pressure, velocity, and elevation. As the velocity of the fluid increases, the pressure decreases, and vice versa. The elevation also plays a role, as a change in elevation will result in a change in pressure.

3. Can Bernoulli's Equation be used to accurately predict pressure in a wind tunnel?

Yes, Bernoulli's Equation has been extensively tested and has been proven to accurately predict pressure in a wind tunnel. However, it is important to note that there may be some discrepancies due to factors such as air turbulence and friction.

4. How is Bernoulli's Equation applied in the design of wind tunnels?

In the design of wind tunnels, Bernoulli's Equation is used to determine the optimal shape and size of the tunnel, as well as the placement of different components such as fans and measurement devices. It allows engineers to create a controlled and accurate environment for testing aerodynamics.

5. Are there any limitations or assumptions when using Bernoulli's Equation in a wind tunnel?

Yes, there are some limitations and assumptions when using Bernoulli's Equation in a wind tunnel. It assumes that the fluid is ideal and incompressible, and it does not take into account factors such as air viscosity and boundary layer effects. These limitations may result in some discrepancies between the predicted and actual pressure readings in a wind tunnel.