Pressure caused by explosion in closed container

In summary: This is a problem from competition that is not over yet.In summary, the given information includes the density of EGDN in its liquid state, the maximum pressure for the container, and the molar mass and specific gas constant for EGDN. Using the ideal gas law, the excess pressure in the sealed container is calculated to be 647.495468 Bar. However, it is unclear how to incorporate the fact that only 20% of the container is filled with EGDN.
Reluctant Atom

Homework Statement

(C2H4NO6, EGDN) is an explosive with perfect attributes. We fill 20% of a sealed container with an EGDN. Assume that EGDN explodes and the created gas bahaves according to ideal gas law. What is the excess pressure in the sealed container?

My problem: I don't know where to utilize the fact that only 20% of the container has been filled with the explosives.

Known data
ρ = 1.49 g/cm3
T = 1006 °C
maximum pressure of a container: 395 Bar
M(EGDN) = 152 g/mol
RSpecific = 8.314 J / K . mol

Homework Equations

pV = nRT
n = m/M
ρ = m/V

The Attempt at a Solution

pV = nRT / substitute n = m/M
pV = m . R/M . T / get V to the right side
p = m/V . R/M . T / substitute ρ = m/V
p = ρ . R/M . T

ρ = 1.49 g/cm3 = 1490 kg/m3
R = 8.314 J / K . mol = 8.314 kg m2 / (s2 . K . mol)
M = 152 g/mol = 0.152 kg/mol
T = 1006 °C = 1 279.15 K

p = 104 249 546.8 kg / (m . s2) = Pa
p = 1042.495468 Bar

1042.495468 Bar - 395 Bar = 647,495468 Bar

I don't know where to apply the information that only 20% of the container has been filled with EGDN.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello, Reluctant Atom and welcome to PF!

Reluctant Atom said:

The Attempt at a Solution

pV = nRT / substitute n = m/M
pV = m . R/M . T / get V to the right side
p = m/V . R/M . T / substitute ρ = m/V

Is the red volume the same as the blue volume? (Is the given density of EGDN the density for the liquid state or the gas state?)

TSny said:
Hello, Reluctant Atom and welcome to PF!
Is the red volume the same as the blue volume? (Is the given density of EGDN the density for the liquid state or the gas state?)

I believe the density is of the EGDN in liquid state. It hasn't been clarified in the assignment either. Just stated that the density of EGDN is 1.49 g/cm3 and I have no further information about what gas does the EGDN produce after explosion or its density.

Reluctant Atom said:
I believe the density is of the EGDN in liquid state. It hasn't been clarified in the assignment either. Just stated that the density of EGDN is 1.49 g/cm3 and I have no further information about what gas does the EGDN produce after explosion or its density.
Yes, the density given is for the liquid state. This would be the mass divided by the liquid volume. The volume in the liquid state is different than the volume in the gas state.

This is a problem from competition that is not over yet.

Patrikp said:
This is a problem from competition that is not over yet.
OK, thanks for the information.
I will not provide any further help on this question.

Related to Pressure caused by explosion in closed container

1. What causes pressure in a closed container during an explosion?

The rapid release of energy from an explosion creates a shock wave that compresses the air inside the container, resulting in an increase in pressure.

2. How does the size of the container affect the pressure during an explosion?

A larger container will generally result in lower pressure during an explosion, as the shock wave has more space to dissipate and the air can expand more easily.

3. Can the type of material used to make the container affect the pressure during an explosion?

Yes, the material's strength and ability to withstand pressure can play a role in how much the container will be affected by the explosion. A stronger material may be able to contain the pressure better.

4. What safety precautions should be taken when working with explosions in closed containers?

It is important to follow proper safety protocols, such as wearing protective gear and ensuring the container is stable and secure. Additionally, it is important to have a clear understanding of the explosive materials being used and their potential impact on the container and surrounding area.

5. How can the pressure in a closed container be measured during an explosion?

Pressure gauges or sensors can be used to measure the pressure inside the container before, during, and after an explosion. These measurements can help determine the force and impact of the explosion on the container.