Pressure and Temperature question: Ideal Gas Laws

In summary, the pressure and temperature when given the data on helium gas is 10 Pascals and 0.0012 Kelvin.
shyguy79

Homework Statement

Find the pressure and temperature when given the following data on helium gas:

Volume (V) = 0.10 m^3 ** Helium mass (m) = 4.0 amu ** Number of atoms (N) = 3.0 x 10^24

Assuming PV = 1 then P=1/V then Pressure = 1.0 / 0.10m^3 = 10Pa

Homework Equations

PV = NkT arranged for T = PV/Nk OR PV = nRT arranged for T = PV/nR

The Attempt at a Solution

Mm = Mr x 10-3 = 4.0 x 10-3 so the mass is 4.0 x 10^-3 / 6.02 x 1023 = 6.6 x 10^-27

The temperature T is then:
T = PV/Nk
T = P x 0.10m^3 / 3.0 × 10^24 mol−1 x 1.381 × 10^−23 J K−1

But I have no idea how to get Pressure - I've tried using Boyles law PV = constant but get lost

Any pointers would be deeply appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
One mole of an ideal gas will occupy a volume of 22.4 liters at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure, 0°C and one atmosphere pressure).

Though I think you still are lacking some information.

NascentOxygen said:
One mole of an ideal gas will occupy a volume of 22.4 liters at STP (Standard Temperature and Pressure, 0°C and one atmosphere pressure).

Though I think you still are lacking some information.

Thanks for the reply, that's all I've been given - been told Charles Law and Botles Law may come in handy but don't know how!?

Charles' and Boyle's Laws are just special cases of the general gas law.

You are looking at: [itex]PV \div T [/itex] = constant
but I think you can only find the quotient [itex]P \div T[/itex]

You are given the number of atoms = 3 x 10^24 which = 5moles (n)
If you substitute this into PV = nRT you can get T but the answer is not sensible ?
I can't see why you have been given the mass of He atom = 4 amu !

technician said:
You are given the number of atoms = 3 x 10^24 which = 5moles (n)
If you substitute this into PV = nRT you can get T but the answer is not sensible ?
I can't see why you have been given the mass of He atom = 4 amu !

It's possible that one might have to resort to the isentropic relationships for an ideal gas.

I think I have just realized that shyguy is assuming that PV=1... it is not a given in the question...I don't know any more to add!

Yes, but working out the math the pressure would be 10 Pascals and the Temperature would 0.0012 Kelvin - and that make hardly any sense!

shyguy79 said:
Yes, but working out the math the pressure would be 10 Pascals and the Temperature would 0.0012 Kelvin - and that make hardly any sense!
Does your textbook provide the answer to this?

No, it's an assignment question but reading through the full wording it appears that the peak velocity is 1100m/s

shyguy79 said:
No, it's an assignment question but reading through the full wording it appears that the peak velocity is 1100m/s
Is it really late at night where you are? :rolleyes:

Velocity does not enter into the question. Well, only tangentially. :smile:

Thank you! Just what I was looking for!

Related to Pressure and Temperature question: Ideal Gas Laws

What is the ideal gas law?

The ideal gas law is a mathematical equation that describes the relationship between the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of a gas. It is written as PV = nRT, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, n is the number of moles of gas, R is the gas constant, and T is the temperature.

How are pressure and temperature related in the ideal gas law?

In the ideal gas law, pressure and temperature are directly proportional. This means that as one increases, the other will also increase, as long as the other variables (volume and number of moles) remain constant.

What is the effect of changing the volume on pressure and temperature?

According to the ideal gas law, as the volume of a gas increases, the pressure will decrease. This is because the gas molecules have more space to move around, resulting in less collisions and less force on the walls of the container. Similarly, as the volume decreases, the pressure will increase. However, the temperature will remain constant unless other variables like the number of moles or the gas constant change.

How do real gases differ from ideal gases?

Real gases differ from ideal gases because they do not perfectly follow the ideal gas law. In real gases, the molecules have finite volumes and there are attractive and repulsive forces between them. These factors can affect the behavior of a gas, causing it to deviate from the ideal gas law at high pressures and low temperatures.

What is the significance of the ideal gas law in chemistry?

The ideal gas law is an important tool in chemistry because it allows us to predict the behavior of gases under different conditions. It is used in many calculations, such as determining the amount of gas produced in a reaction, finding the molar mass of a gas, and predicting the behavior of gases in different containers. It also helps us understand the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in various systems.