Pressure and displacement amplitudes

In summary,The pressure amplitude of a 3 kHz sound is around 4 um, and the pressure amplitude of a 500 Pa diurnal variation in atmospheric pressure is around 0.005 atm.
Kaisean
I'm having some trouble on this problem.

"The human ear is most sensitive to sounds at about f = 3 kHz. A very loud sound at that frequency would have a displacement amplitude of about 4um. What is the pressure amplitude? (Assume the wave to be sinusoidal. For air at room temperature, B = 1.42 x 10^5 Pa and p = 1.20 kg/m^3.) Compare this to the typical diurnal variation in atmospheric pressure, about 500 Pa = 0.005 atm."

Physics news on Phys.org
What equations would you use to start working on this problem? You need to show some of your own work in order for us to help you.

Kaisean said:
I'm having some trouble on this problem.

"The human ear is most sensitive to sounds at about f = 3 kHz. A very loud sound at that frequency would have a displacement amplitude of about 4um. What is the pressure amplitude? (Assume the wave to be sinusoidal. For air at room temperature, B = 1.42 x 10^5 Pa and p = 1.20 kg/m^3.) Compare this to the typical diurnal variation in atmospheric pressure, about 500 Pa = 0.005 atm."
p is [itex]\rho[/itex] = density of the air. I am not sure what pressure B is. Standard air pressure is 1.013x10^5 Pa. What is B?

To do this problem, consider a single wavelength of sound [itex]\lambda[/itex] and the space of some volume of air [itex]A\lambda[/itex] where A is the surface area of the wavefront.

In the compression part of the wave, the volume of air is reduced by A x displacement. Since it happens very quickly, it can be treated as an adiabatic compression (no time for heat to be lost). What is the change in pressure? Use:

[tex]PV^\gamma = K[/tex]

AM

I would start with the constitutive relationship

P = P0 - Bds/dx

I'm given a B and p; however, no P0. Since this is displacement though, I only need to measure by how much this pressure varies so therefore I get P = Bds/dx where the "-" disappears since I am calculating only for a magnitude of change. I think that s(x, t) can take on the form of s(x, t)=S0sin kx cos wt and from there plug in for ds/dx assuming maximum change in s.

Related to Pressure and displacement amplitudes

1. What is the difference between pressure and displacement amplitudes?

Pressure amplitude is a measure of the change in pressure of a sound wave, while displacement amplitude is a measure of the change in distance or displacement of a sound wave. In other words, pressure amplitude measures the strength of the sound wave, while displacement amplitude measures the size of the sound wave.

2. How are pressure and displacement amplitudes related?

Pressure and displacement amplitudes are related through the medium in which the sound wave is traveling. As sound waves travel through a medium, they cause particles in the medium to vibrate, which creates both changes in pressure and displacement. Therefore, the two amplitudes are directly proportional to each other.

3. Can pressure and displacement amplitudes be measured?

Yes, pressure and displacement amplitudes can be measured using specialized equipment such as microphones, accelerometers, and oscilloscopes. These instruments can detect changes in pressure and displacement caused by sound waves and display them as numerical values.

4. How do pressure and displacement amplitudes affect the loudness and pitch of a sound?

The pressure amplitude of a sound wave determines its loudness, while the displacement amplitude determines its pitch. A higher pressure amplitude will result in a louder sound, while a larger displacement amplitude will result in a higher pitch.

5. What factors can affect pressure and displacement amplitudes?

Several factors can affect pressure and displacement amplitudes, including the distance from the sound source, the medium through which the sound is traveling, and the properties of the sound source itself. Additionally, changes in temperature, humidity, and atmospheric pressure can also impact these amplitudes.