Sound intensity and relationship to pressure and displacement

In summary, make sure to use the correct equations and values to calculate sound intensity, sound level, and pressure amplitude in order to arrive at the correct answers.
buzsh

Homework Statement

The sound from a trumpet radiates uniformly in all directions in air with a temperature of 20 degC. At a distance of 4.80m from the trumpet, the sound intensity level is 47.0dB. The frequency is 576Hz. Also knowing speed of sound in air is 344m/s, the density is 1.20kg/m^3 and the reference intensity is 10^-12 W/m^2, what is the pressure amplitude at this distance?

Homework Equations

I'm not given anything but from memory I know I = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] Bk[itex]\omega[/itex]A^2 or I = [itex]\frac{1}{2}[/itex] [itex]\sqrt{}(\rho B\omega ^2 A^2)[/itex]

Also: sound level = 10log[itex]_{10}[/itex]([itex]\frac{I}{I_{0}}[/itex])

The Attempt at a Solution

I've got three chances at an answer on the system I use and have spent the first two calculating I to be 10^-7.3 and using I = Pressure x velocity to give Pmax = 1.46*10^-10. Wrong. Then I used the reference pressure (I looked up on the trustworthy internet) and the slight variation of the sound level formula to give Pmax = 4.48*10^-3. Also wrong.

(I have since realized where I used velocity above, it's probably velocity of medium and not of sound in medium)

The question after asked for the displacement amplitude (now being given the Bulk modulus as 1.42*10^5 Pa). Using the formula I gave above for intensity in terms of B, rho and omega etc, I calculated that this should be 6.71*10^-14m. Surprise, surprise: wrong again.

Many, many thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
for your help!

Thank you for your question. it is always important to double check your equations and make sure you are using the correct values for your variables. In this case, it seems like you may have mixed up a few values or equations, leading to incorrect answers.

First, let's start with the intensity formula you mentioned. The correct formula for sound intensity is I = \frac{1}{2} \rho v \omega^2 A^2, where \rho is the density of the medium, v is the velocity of sound in the medium, \omega is the angular frequency, and A is the pressure amplitude. In your first attempt, you used the correct formula but may have mixed up the values for density and velocity. The correct values for air at 20 degC are \rho = 1.20 kg/m^3 and v = 344 m/s. Plugging these values into the formula gives I = 10^-6.3 W/m^2, which is the correct intensity at a distance of 4.80 m from the trumpet.

Next, let's look at the sound level formula. The correct formula for sound level is L = 10 \log_{10} (\frac{I}{I_0}), where I_0 is the reference intensity of 10^-12 W/m^2. In your second attempt, you used the correct formula but may have used the wrong reference intensity. It is possible that the reference pressure you looked up is actually the reference intensity, which would explain why you got a much larger value for the pressure amplitude. Using the correct reference intensity, we get a sound level of 47 dB, which is the given value in the problem.

Finally, let's look at the formula for pressure amplitude. The correct formula is A = \sqrt{\frac{2I}{\rho v \omega^2}}, where I is the intensity, \rho is the density, v is the velocity of sound, and \omega is the angular frequency. Using the values we calculated earlier, we get A = 2.91*10^-5 m, which is the correct displacement amplitude at a distance of 4.80 m from the trumpet.

I hope this helps clarify any confusion and helps you arrive at the correct answers. Remember to always double check your equations and values to ensure accuracy in your calculations. Keep up the good work as a scientist!

Related to Sound intensity and relationship to pressure and displacement

What is sound intensity and how does it relate to pressure and displacement?

Sound intensity is the amount of sound energy that passes through a unit area in a specific amount of time. It is directly related to sound pressure, which is the force of sound waves on a given area. As sound waves travel, they cause displacement or movement in the air particles, which also affects sound intensity.

How is sound intensity measured?

Sound intensity is typically measured in decibels (dB). This unit of measurement is based on a logarithmic scale, where a small change in decibel level represents a large change in sound intensity. The decibel scale is often used to compare the loudness of different sounds.

What factors affect sound intensity?

The intensity of sound can be affected by various factors, including distance from the sound source, the size and shape of the sound source, and the medium through which the sound travels. Other factors, such as temperature and humidity, can also impact sound intensity.

How does sound intensity relate to human hearing?

Human ears are capable of detecting a wide range of sound intensities, from the faintest whisper to the loudest rock concert. However, our perception of sound intensity is not linear and can vary based on frequency and other factors. The threshold for discomfort and potential damage to our ears is around 120 dB.

What are some real-world applications of understanding sound intensity and its relationship to pressure and displacement?

Understanding sound intensity and its relationship to pressure and displacement is important in various fields, such as acoustics, engineering, and medicine. It is crucial in designing and testing sound systems, noise control measures, and medical devices. It also helps in understanding the potential impact of loud sounds on the environment and human health.