Pressure and density in swimming.

In summary, the human lungs can function up to a pressure difference of 1/21 atm between the outside and inside of the lungs. For a diver using a snorkel in salt water with a density of 1042 kg/m3, the limit would be a depth where the pressure is equal to 4824 Pascals. To find the height below the water that the swimmer can go, the pressure must be converted to the appropriate units and then used in the equation pgh, where p is density, g is gravitational acceleration, and h is the height.
haleyy89

Homework Statement

The human lungs can function satisfactorily up to a limit where the pressure difference between the outside and inside of the lungs is 1/21 of an atmosphere. If a diver uses a snorkel for breathing, how far below the water can she swim? Assume the diver is in salt water whose density is 1042 kg/m3.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think pgh, where p is density, g is gravitational acceleration, and h would be the height. I think the height would tell you how far the swimmer could go below water. I'm honestly not exactly sure where to start this one!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That pressure has to be equal to 1/21 atm right? Remember the units are going to be different and account for that.

I converted the 1/21 atm to 4824 Pascals. I am still not sure how to find the height below the water the swimmer can go though?

Related to Pressure and density in swimming.

1. What is the relationship between pressure and density in swimming?

The relationship between pressure and density in swimming is direct. As pressure increases, density also increases. This means that the deeper you go in the water, the higher the pressure and density will be.

2. How does pressure affect a swimmer's body?

Pressure can have a significant impact on a swimmer's body. As the water pressure increases, it compresses the body, making it more difficult for the swimmer to move. This can cause a decrease in speed and increase in fatigue, especially at deeper depths.

3. How does density affect a swimmer's buoyancy?

Density is a major factor in determining a swimmer's buoyancy. The higher the density, the more difficult it is for the swimmer to float. This is why swimmers tend to float more easily in saltwater, which has a higher density compared to freshwater.

4. How does depth affect the pressure and density of water?

As depth increases, so does the pressure and density of water. This is due to the weight of the water above pressing down on the water below. The deeper you go, the more water and weight there is above, resulting in higher pressure and density.

5. How do swimmers adjust to pressure and density changes in different depths?

Swimmers must learn to adapt to pressure and density changes as they dive to different depths in the water. This can be achieved through proper breathing techniques and equalization, which helps to balance the pressure inside and outside of the body. Additionally, swimmers may also wear specialized equipment, such as a wetsuit, to help maintain their buoyancy and protect against the effects of pressure and density changes.