Solving an Air Pressure Question: Who Is Right?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of air pressure inside a test tube that is pushed into water. The pressure is determined by the hydrostatic pressure, which is the product of the density of water, the change in height, and the gravitational constant. The conversation also clarifies the meaning of "epruvete" (or test tube) and discusses the role of air and water in determining the pressure inside the tube.
Callmelucky
Homework Statement
I might be wrong but I think it is author.
Relevant Equations
Pressure= density * g * h
Can someone please answer this question, so I can figure who is wrong here, me or author. Thank you.1.question (picture below): empty epruvete turned upside down is dipped in glass filled with water to the depth H. While doing that water enters the epruvete and reaches height of h. The AIR pressure inside the epruvete is: I wrote just density(of air) * g(gr. const.)* height(of epruvete - h). The answer is apparently Po(air pressure) + density * g(gr. const.) * (H-h). I am not sure if it's ment density of water or air(since it's not stated), but if they mean density of water I don't understand how is that so, I don't get what water has to do with air pressure inside the epruvete(if pressure = F/A), so please explain if you can/want. Thank you.

But anyway I think that air pressure inside the epruvete should be density(of air) * g(gr. const.) * height(of epruvete - h), if hidrostatic pressure= density * g * height.

Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20230205_002258_edit_966479884437942.jpg
    IMG_20230205_002258_edit_966479884437942.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 59
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
1. A mercury barometer is a pipe with a closed top that is long enough to have a vacuum above the mercury.

So yes, there is sufficient Hg to fill a column.

2. I have no idea what an epruvete is (google come up with that ?). But from the picture I expect the pipe is not empty at all, but filled with air. There is no Hg here, so they mean the density of water. The pressure at the water level in the pipe is ambient pressure plus some ##\rho g \,\Delta h## :
1675557901350.png

which I hope you understand by now... ?
( height(of epruvete - h) ... :nb) ?)

##\ ##

Likes erobz and Callmelucky
BvU said:
1. A mercury barometer is a pipe with a closed top that is long enough to have a vacuum above the mercury.

2. I have no idea what an epruvete is (google come up with that ?). But from the picture I expect the pipe is not empty at all, but filled with air. There is no Hg here, so they mean the density of water. The pressure at the water level in the pipe is ambient pressure plus some ##\rho g \,\delta h## :
View attachment 321768

##\ ##
epruvete is test tube, I thought that is the same on all languages(my bad).

Yeah but, in task it's asked for air pressure inside test tube.

It's not a barometer.

Likes BvU
Edit: Sorry. I didn't read BvU properly. I think he already said this.

Eprouvette is just a test tube. Eprouver = to test (from french)
Presumably filled with air. As pushed into water, air is compressed and stops water rising to outside level.

Level depression is delta h, so internal pressure is just (density of water) x (delta h) x (g) above atmospheric.
IE. just the hydrostatic pressure, because the pressure of the water at the water/air interface in the tube must be that. What's inside the tube is irrelevant.

Likes BvU and Callmelucky
BvU said:

2. I have no idea what an epruvete is (google come up with that ?). But from the picture I expect the pipe is not empty at all, but filled with air. There is no Hg here, so they mean the density of water. The pressure at the water level in the pipe is ambient pressure plus some ##\rho g \,\Delta h## :
View attachment 321768

##\ ##
I didn't understand at first, now I do. Thank you for taking time to answer both of my questions. 🖖

Likes Lnewqban and BvU
Merlin3189 said:
Edit: Sorry. I didn't read BvU properly. I think he already said this.

Eprouvette is just a test tube. Eprouver = to test (from french)
Presumably filled with air. As pushed into water, air is compressed and stops water rising to outside level.

Level depression is delta h, so internal pressure is just (density of water) x (delta h) x (g) above atmospheric.
IE. just the hydrostatic pressure, because the pressure of the water at the water/air interface in the tube must be that. What's inside the tube is irrelevant.
thank you for clarifying, 😃

Likes Lnewqban

1. What is air pressure and why is it important?

Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air molecules in the Earth's atmosphere. It is important because it affects weather patterns, helps regulate the Earth's temperature, and plays a role in the functioning of many natural and man-made systems.

2. How do you measure air pressure?

Air pressure is typically measured in either units of millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg) using a barometer. A barometer works by measuring the weight of a column of air above it and converting it into a numerical value.

3. What factors can affect air pressure?

Air pressure can be affected by changes in temperature, altitude, and the amount of moisture in the air. It can also be influenced by weather patterns such as high and low pressure systems.

4. How can two people have different readings of air pressure in the same location?

This can happen due to variations in the type or calibration of the barometer being used, or the way in which the person is taking the measurement. It can also be affected by small-scale differences in air pressure due to local weather conditions.

5. How can you determine who is right in a disagreement about air pressure readings?

If both parties are using accurate and calibrated barometers, the best way to determine who is right is to take multiple readings at different times and locations and compare them. If there is a significant difference, it may be necessary to consult with a meteorologist or other expert to determine the cause of the discrepancy.