Press release reveals journalists believe everything they see on the Internet

In summary: However, it's up to you to use your critical thinking skills to separate the wheat from the chaff.It was even worse before the internet. Teachers and college professors could slip in some interesting bit of trivia that they'd heard somewhere and then students were sure to believe it. Or a doctor or a lawyer - information reliability was pretty much equated with however much respect people had for the person saying it - completely forgetting that teachers, doctors, lawyers are human and pretty much as gullible as anyone else.But, the interesting trivia tossed out during a lecture was often more interesting than whatever subject a teacher was teaching and the trivia would be remembered far longer. Have you seen this? I don't think Maddow really counts
Synetos
Quite interesting and very true, I wish that internet info would be more trustworthy. =/
The Internet is buzzing with the story of a new study that today's students are so gullible they will believe anything they see on the Internet, and are even willing to believe in the existence of an elusive tree octopus when shown the website for this "endangered species." (The website states it is linked to the "Kelvinic University branch of the Wild Haggis Conservation Society.")

The Pacific Northwest tree octopus (Octopus paxarbolis) is a mythical creature invented in 1998 by Lyle Zapato, but the story circulating on the Internet this week often mistakenly has it that Professor Donald J. Leu, director of the New Literacies Research Laboratory at the University of Connecticut, invented the tree octopus and designed its website to test the gullibility of today’s “digital native” students, who are known for their online savviness.
Keep reading: http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-reveals-journalists-internet.html

Physics news on Phys.org
Synetos said:
Quite interesting and very true, I wish that internet info would be more trustworthy. =/

In fact it reveals "students believe everything...".

This is one of the reasons I surf the net with my son when he's visiting. If I succeed in teaching him that the Internet is as full of crap as it is information, then I'll have succeeded in teaching him a valuable lesson in critical thinking.

mugaliens said:
This is one of the reasons I surf the net with my son when he's visiting. If I succeed in teaching him that the Internet is as full of crap as it is information, then I'll have succeeded in teaching him a valuable lesson in critical thinking.

Hurray!

Yah I don't understand what this has to do with journalists...

Synetos said:
I wish that internet info would be more trustworthy. =/

You are aware that information untrustworthiness existed long before the internet, right? Why should the internet be any different? It's up to you to not be gullible.

Pengwuino said:
Yah I don't understand what this has to do with journalists...

Have you seen this? I don't think Maddow really counts as a journalist, but she quotes a story off christwire.org, which is pretty much equivilent to the onion.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwK35y4kr_E"

Last edited by a moderator:
caffenta said:
You are aware that information untrustworthiness existed long before the internet, right? Why should the internet be any different? It's up to you to not be gullible.

It was even worse before the internet. Teachers and college professors could slip in some interesting bit of trivia that they'd heard somewhere and then students were sure to believe it. Or a doctor or a lawyer - information reliability was pretty much equated with however much respect people had for the person saying it - completely forgetting that teachers, doctors, lawyers are human and pretty much as gullible as anyone else.

But, the interesting trivia tossed out during a lecture was often more interesting than whatever subject a teacher was teaching and the trivia would be remembered far longer.

At least with the internet, you can actually sort out which information is true, might be true, or is pure myth if you try.

Related to Press release reveals journalists believe everything they see on the Internet

1. What is a press release?

A press release is a written statement that is typically issued by a company or organization to announce news or updates about their products, services, or events. It is usually sent to the media in order to generate news coverage and public interest.

2. How does a press release relate to journalists and the Internet?

Press releases are often posted on the Internet by companies and organizations to reach a wider audience. Journalists may come across these press releases while researching a story and may use them as a source of information. However, it is important for journalists to fact-check and verify the information in the press release before publishing it.

3. Why do journalists believe everything they see on the Internet?

Journalists are trained to fact-check and verify information from multiple sources before publishing a story. However, with the vast amount of information available on the Internet, it is possible for some journalists to overlook this step and rely solely on a press release as a source of information. It is important for journalists to be critical and discerning when using information from the Internet.

4. Are press releases always accurate?

No, press releases are not always accurate. They are written by companies and organizations to promote their own agenda and may contain biased or exaggerated information. It is important for journalists to fact-check and verify the information in a press release before using it as a source.

5. How can journalists avoid believing everything they see on the Internet?

Journalists can avoid believing everything they see on the Internet by fact-checking and verifying information from multiple sources. They should also be critical and discerning when using information from a press release and not rely solely on it as a source. Additionally, using reputable and trustworthy sources can help ensure the accuracy of the information being reported.

Back